The Great Mordian Restoration Project!

Greetings Commanders,

I have always been a huge fan of the Imperial Guard and have been part of the B&C for a couple of years now, some of you may remember my Steel Legion Army thread from last year. However, if my name wasn't obvious enough, My favourite regiment is the Mordian Iron Guard. I have been collecting them for over a decade and have a sizable force. The problem is that the paint job across the whole army is awful. Most of it was painted by a much younger me who had no interest in things like "two thin coats" and "washes". Also many of the model were painted as part of a last minute rush before various tournaments. Many models were bought second hand and just given a new, thick, lick of paint. As a result many of the models are in a sad way with either the paint chipping off (I didn't undercoat a single model) or them suffering from potato face (too many layers of paint). 

Because of this I starting using the Mordians less and less, and turned to collecting new armies that I took much more care to build and paint. Naturally I wanted to use my good looking armies over my crummy looking one. But whilst I enjoyed using  the Black Templars and GSC, at the back of my mind I knew something was missing. Cult Ambush and fancy tactics were all well and good, but what I missed was being able to drown my enemies in wave after wave of infantry and tanks.

Therefor, after many long months of exploring other armies, I have decided to return to my beloved Mordian Iron Guard. I will restore them to their former glory and return them to being my primary fighting force. The task ahead of me is monumental. I have over 400 Infantry and at least 20 tanks that need not only stripping and repainting, but many of them are battered and broken. This will be a very long ongoing project I predict will take well over a year to accomplish, I wouldn't be surprised if I am still doing this by the end of 2020! 

My plan is to do this in bite size chunks whilst also have other smaller projects going on at the same time, to help break up the monotony. I have to finish of the GSC, Templars and World Eaters, but I figured I better start now, even if it is just 3-4 models a week at first. 

I have already chosen the paint scheme and I learnt some lessons from my other projects. As I will be painting so many men and I prefer to use mass infantry armies, super fine detail is not required. I got very bogged down with my Cult army because the paint scheme I choose was over complicated. The key to this project will be "less is more". A simple paint scheme done well will look good and stop me from getting burned out (which I experienced hard with my GSC).

I have started this thread to help me stay motivated. I have done painting threads before on the B&C and they have always been great sources of encouragement and help, you guys are awesome!

I have painted 6 models under the new scheme. The 3 regimental advisers, a classic metal Mordian and 2 converted Cadians with Victoria Miniature heads.

Well that is all for now. I have made the thread and I am committed! Wish me luck and the Emperor Protects :biggrin.:

cFAzGIW.jpg
xVxnhlS.jpg
wp5OvCP.jpg
BfNDtif.jpg
F8NvtJM.jpg
tnSWbOe.jpg
1M5yoEU.jpg
Edited by Mordian Glory

I have embarked on a similar project with my Mordians too! Although my total number isn't as high fortunately ^_^

Looks good so far :tu:

How many a month do you hope to get through?

I've found that I've now found ways where I can batch in lots of 30 models which is handy.

I know were you are coming from, although similar to @Duz I've got nowhere near the numbers you have!

I will say this having a simple colour scheme makes things far easier to do for a horde (speaking from experience of using red / white and yellow / red for my two horde armies :wallbash: ) , I just hope you enjoy painting that scheme!

Best of luck with your project.

Good luck. I know what you mean. I ripainted a huge army of russians infantry for FoW and than I completely redone my WWI style guards into a brand new Valhallan infantry 130 infantry plus tank. Finally I started a Heretics & Traitor army with more than 200 bodies... so, again, good luck to both of us

Cool.

I have embarked on a similar project with my Mordians too! Although my total number isn't as high fortunately :happy.:

Looks good so far :thumbsup:

How many a month do you hope to get through?

I've found that I've now found ways where I can batch in lots of 30 models which is handy.

Thanks :D I am hoping to get through a squad or 2 a month for now as I have my GSC I really want to finish off. I will slowly ramp up production until the point where the Iron Guard are the main focus and the other projects are just there to give some painting variety :)

Your models are well-painted.

Thank you :) 

That awesome Mordian Glory can't wait to see some more pic's.

I will make sure to update as often as possible, need to keep the momentum!

I know were you are coming from, although similar to @Duz I've got nowhere near the numbers you have!

I will say this having a simple colour scheme makes things far easier to do for a horde (speaking from experience of using red / white and yellow / red for my two horde armies :wallbash: ) , I just hope you enjoy painting that scheme!

Best of luck with your project.

Yeah I am very keen to have a simple but effective paint scheme, not making the same mistake as I did with my Cult! I do really like the scheme but I am just concerned it is a little too dark. I will play around with how I can lighten the colours. 

Good luck. I know what you mean. I ripainted a huge army of russians infantry for FoW and than I completely redone my WWI style guards into a brand new Valhallan infantry 130 infantry plus tank. Finally I started a Heretics & Traitor army with more than 200 bodies... so, again, good luck to both of us

You sound like me, I always go for horde armies. I must have painted over a thousand infantry models in my life time! :P 

Repainting an army is an act of devotion that the commissariat approves of! It's a lot of effort sometimes but is very much worth it. Keep us updated on your progress :thumbsup:

Thank you! I am grateful for the support and motivation of the commissariat :)

I think I’m watching your video right now, it’s been an inspiration for me to start my own forces. Thank you.

Models are looking great so far, keep it up, I’m looking forward to seeing more of your forces.

Yeah I have a small youtube channel, under the same name as my username here. Glad to hear you are finding the content useful and thank you for the compliment on the models :)

Greetings Commanders,

This weekend much of my time was spent finishing off some vile Cult models. However, I still made sure to pay my tithe to the Emperor and was able to get another rifleman finished. I also was able to pick up my copy of the Imperial Infantry Mans Handbook. I have to say this is a great bit of lore and it almost feels like fate that GW re-released it at the same time I have begun my re-devotion to the Emperor :D 

As always, pics below. (sorry for the bad lighting, I am gonna make a light box this week)

sRvRhFf.jpg
RwLbPD6.jpg

Hello Mordian Glory,

Diggin' the green and indigo scheme you got going on there! I'm sure we can all agree there's something grand about seeing the columned masses of a proper infantry force all arrayed in spectacular fashion, ready for battle. Stirs something in the primal part of the soul, it does! Keep at it, guardsman!

~Cheers

MinoanFresco

Edited by MinoanFresco

Hello Mordian Glory,

Diggin' the green and indigo scheme you got going on there! I'm sure we can all agree there's something grand about seeing the columned masses of a proper infantry force all arrayed in spectacular fashion, ready for battle. Stirs something in the primal part of the soul, it does! Keep at it, guardsman!

~Cheers

MinoanFresco

Thank you! The scheme is really interesting to paint because when I am part way through it looks kinda rubbish, and then suddenly it all comes together at the end :)

And I agree, I have always loved seeing mass ranks of organised infantry! It just feels so right :D

Greetings Fellow Commanders,

I present to you Major Jan Von Krukenburg! I decided to really embrace the Prussian theme of the Mordian and will be using german names for all my officers and heroes :tongue.:

Major Krukenburg is a new model to the army and has not been used in a battle yet, but he will have plenty of opportunity to prove himself! In case anyone was wondering the model is from the Rogue Trader game GW released about a year ago, I found him on ebay for cheap :smile.:

My officers have always embodied the principles of the Mordian Iron Guard. They are professional to a fault, lead from the front and their uniforms are always splendid! 

7OXuvlf.jpg
PwZzhMI.jpg

Good News Everyone!

My request to the Departmento Munitorum was fulfilled and I have received my ultra sonic cleaner! I figured that if I was going to be stripping over 400 Infantry models then I would need a quick and easy way to do that :)

To give some context, I had initially begun stripping models using the traditional technique of  Detol soak and brush, but I found that on its own the detol stuggled to get through the base primer on lots of the models and wasn't great at dealing with plastics. 

I picked an ultrasonic cleaner from ebay for £22 and spent all week playing with it, stripping the paint of various spare metal and plastic models I had. I have to say it works well, but not quite how I expected. I thought that if I soaked the models in detol for a week, then popped them in the ultrasonic cleaner with some Detol for 30-40mins, then hey presto! Fully stripped and cleaned models, no need for the tooth brush.

Sadly that is not quite how it works. It simply removes the need to presoak the models. I put the detol into the cleaner with the models, ran it for 30-40 mins and then brushed the paint off as per usual. It essentially removes the need to soak the models in detol for 1-2 weeks. However, it does not always work great with models with 3-4 layers of paint on them.

What I found worked best was to soak the models for a few days or a week first to weaken the top layers, then use the ultra sonic cleaner for 30 mins. This allowed me to get through all the layers of paint including the primer and return the models to nearly as good as new.

Long story short, just soaking models in detol works well, and just using the ultrasonic cleaner works ok, but on their own both methods struggled to get through the layers and layers of paint young me had slapped on the minis. Using both allows me to really get down to the bare metal/plastic :D

In terms of painting I didnt get as much done on my IG as I would have liked as I was doing a big push to finish all my Cult Characters. However I did partially complete 3 guardsmen :) 

LNFHzkE.jpg
QEsiZKk.jpg
EismocE.jpg

They're an Emperor send for rescuing models - your looks industrial size which is just as well considering :P I've found that a mix of soaking and blasting does the trick, though for "hardier" paint jobs some elbow grease is also needed usually. When in doubt I send them for another sonic dip :lol:

They're an Emperor send for rescuing models - your looks industrial size which is just as well considering :tongue.: I've found that a mix of soaking and blasting does the trick, though for "hardier" paint jobs some elbow grease is also needed usually. When in doubt I send them for another sonic dip :laugh.:

They do work very well, I think for most models they are not needed but for models caked in paint a USC is a must have :) 

What's best for stripping paint off old models? I've heard both dettol and something called biostrip 20 are good. Is there a difference between fluid for stripping from metal or plastic?

I have found dettol to work very well. I tried Asdas own dettol knock off and the asda smart price knockoff and they didn't do anything at all.

I think I might try the one jolemai tested (thanks for the link warrior fish! ) as dettol does have a very strong smell.

What's best for stripping paint off old models? I've heard both dettol and something called biostrip 20 are good. Is there a difference between fluid for stripping from metal or plastic?

I use biostrip20. Kind of a PVA glue consistency that you soak the models in for 30-60mins and then scrub with a toothbrush. Once takes off most paint, but old or 5+ layers can take multiple soaks. I have used it on plastic, metal and FW resin with no issues. Reusable and non toxic. Just messy!

Sounds interesting Halfpint, any idea where I can get some? I'm always thinking about that venerable Leman Russ I have that needs stripping but is encased in a 2+ save of old paint and is too large for my cleaner...

Sounds interesting Halfpint, any idea where I can get some? I'm always thinking about that venerable Leman Russ I have that needs stripping but is encased in a 2+ save of old paint and is too large for my cleaner...

I used to get from the website direct but it doesn't seem to exist anymore (or changed names) so I get it from Amazon now. 500ml tub does me a while, you can reuse it if it isn't too grim after being used once. Good luck stripping!