The Great Mordian Restoration Project!

Greetings Commanders,

I am happy to report that the first restored vehicle of the Mordian 50th Rifles complete, 1st Platoons Command Chimera! Just waiting on the armoured skirts to arrive from eBay, but calling this bad boy done :smile.:

This is a very inefficient loadout but I really like how the vehicle looks with all the extra gear. Cant play any games at the moment so might as well go full on Rule of Cool!

The Chimera is the old version and it was very battered and had not enjoyed the paint stripping process either. I ended up having to replace a lot of the parts with bits from newer/other kits:

1) Turret ring is from a Space Marine Rhino

2) Storm Bolter from a Taurox

3) Comm aerials from a Sentinel 
4) Infantry Lasguns for broken Lasgun Array weapons

5) Dozer Blade, Radar, Hunter Killer from the "new" chimera kit

I also tried using masking tape for the first time when doing the Hazard stripes on the Dozer and it came out really well. My favourite part about this project is it forces me to learn new techniques to improve my painting/modelling.

Thats all for this week. I really enjoyed painting a vehicle so I will probably do a few more Chimeras before going back to finishing 3rd Platoon, they just need the Veterans doing :smile.:

Pics below as always:

IvTIh3o.jpg
OkRNUjZ.jpg
fArznmu.jpg
1oaCl2q.jpg
myMusSc.jpg
Edited by Mordian Glory

The chimera looks really nice, despite the replaced parts and I don't think I would have noticed those if you hadn't mentioned them. Great repair work :smile.:

Good job on the Chimera.

very nice!

Thanks everyone! 

The second Chimera is well on the way to being repaired and repainted so hopefully I will have more pics coming soon :)

Side armour arrived :D 

Thanks to the side skirts, and the old school chimera being wider in general, this has become one chunky tank! 

Also added a Searchlight from the sentinel kit, it looks much more realistic then the normal chimera searchlight which actually looks comically big when they are put side by side. When the second chimera is finished I will put up a picture of both tanks next to each other so you can see the difference :)

Dsl8yPE.jpg
YrShf6M.jpg
3gnQOaC.jpg
Kd30ivC.jpg
MmwAd1k.jpg
bRtDudM.jpg

Very fine work sir:thumbsup: I especially like your variation in livery from the standard Mordian theme. It works quite nicely.

I'm working on a similar project with the restoration of my Ultramarines, while also building a DIY Chapter, so I appreciate the monotony factor:wacko.: :yes: In spite of the many challenges of restoring such a large force, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results, once you've finished. It'll be well worth the work. Best wishes on this most worthy project.

Very fine work sir:thumbsup: I especially like your variation in livery from the standard Mordian theme. It works quite nicely.

I'm working on a similar project with the restoration of my Ultramarines, while also building a DIY Chapter, so I appreciate the monotony factor:wacko.: :yes: In spite of the many challenges of restoring such a large force, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results, once you've finished. It'll be well worth the work. Best wishes on this most worthy project.

Thank you! It has certainly been a challenge restoring all the models, I have done over 300 infantry (and now two tanks) in about 18 months!

Good job on the uparmored Chimera.

Quick update, I have completed the 2nd Command Chimera :smile.:

Also as promised I have included the side by side picture so you can see how stupid big the actual Chimera searchlight is!

By the way, if anyone is wondering what is up with the Templar cross on the Chimera turret, I don't have any appropriately sized aquilas left but I didn't want to leave the area bare. I do have a load of Black Templar bits left over so I figured I could use those, it pretty much comes down to rule of cool but I will probably come up with a fluff justification for it too at some point.

That's all for now pics below in the spoiler:

kbzC034.jpg
iYbLbT5.jpg
wS0OV9D.jpg
eOwbd66.jpg
EDWPltP.jpg
eE1nOqZ.jpg
Edited by Mordian Glory

• 3 weeks later...

Big Announcement!

This week I completed the Veteran Squad for 3rd Platoon and with that the 1st Company of the Mordian 50th Rifles is done!

I actually have more than 3 platoons finished, as I have done a few extra special weapons and characters to give me some flexibility, and I also have the 2 Chimeras and the Assault Korp Storm Troopers as well. The total model count stands at 306 infantry and 2 tanks :)

Not sure which direction I want to go in next! I have another 2 squads and 2 characters ready to be painted,  but I also have 4 Leman Russ Stripped down and ready to be base coated. So much choice!

I have included lots and lots of full army pictures for my fellow commanders to enjoy, see below:

pHvxn8g.jpg
gnUuEA1.jpg
WqOC9W9.jpg
aILQJWn.jpg
ZNngStR.jpg
HpraY3M.jpg
D81qoAT.jpg
ZOrrSGz.jpg
OlN8EGL.jpg
QVfXk1j.jpg
0FliDFn.jpg
iOm6Por.jpg
bEacgOC.jpg

I'm not sure I have that amount of soldiers painted in all my three armies, and I have Guards for 40k, Bretonnia (undead with zombies) and Wood Elves for fantasy.

Amazing work and great colours.

• 2 weeks later...

Greeting Commanders,

One company of Guard may be finished but there is still plenty more infantry to paint and as such I have knuckled down and started work on the 2nd Company of Mordians!

The first squad is already completed and the second is well on the way! 

Thats all for now, pic below:

qrzf9XS.jpg

9XBpgQC.jpg
P1Rwlev.jpg
zjNKLKS.jpg

I like how you keep the bases apparently simple yet so detailed and it really scales well with the rest of your army.

The amazing facial hair really builds character in your squad :smile.:

Thanks mate!

To be honest, I am planning on adding a bit more debris to the basis. The red tufts are cool and all but I think I need to add some extra bits and bobs to really finish them :)

Greetings Commanders,

Another week, another squad ready to die for the Emperor! Not going to say to much about these lads, yet another converted plastic Cadian squad with the same load out as last weeks squad. I now have more then 160 ex-Cadians in the 50th Rifles.

The big news this week, I finally decided what I wanted to do for shoulder pad markings and transfers! I have decided that each trooper will have the regimental crest on their left shoulder pad and the regiment number on their right. The transfer I used for the regimental crest is from the Sister of battle transfer sheet. I really like the combination of the Teutonic/Templar Cross and the Skull. It really fits my regiments lore, that they are on a redemption/penitent crusade seeking absolution through death or glory on the battlefield. Grimdark indeed!

Now all I need to do is figure what extra details to add to the bases and I may finally be satisfied with the scheme.

That is all for now, as always pictures below:

4SjMxGw.jpg
fbQVXmZ.jpg
L2QxrSj.jpg
JzCBbG1.jpg
kaT9Fva.jpg

You are very consistent with the painting, it really makes each squad link well to the full army :)

The shoulder pads look really nice, you will do the same markings for all the other squads you have finished so far? Or will there be some variations for the elite squads and stuff to set them apart?

You are very consistent with the painting, it really makes each squad link well to the full army :smile.:

The shoulder pads look really nice, you will do the same markings for all the other squads you have finished so far? Or will there be some variations for the elite squads and stuff to set them apart?

Thank you! I have a set way of doing the models and I always do the colours in the same order e.g. green, then blue then brown etc. 

I will be going back and updating all the models in the army, I want the army to stay very consistent :)