The Great Mordian Restoration Project!

Updating your whole force will be a mammoth task indeed! Though I’m sure it’ll be worth it.

There’s nothing like a uniformed and fully painted 40k army!

I wish you luck in your endeavour!!

It won't be too bad, should be able to get all the transfers done for the ex-cadians in a week or so and the metal Mordians just need a little white adding to their epaulettes :)

It is not the first time I have made an improvement to the scheme and had to go back and update the rest of the army :teehee:  

Hi dude

this has been an interesting thread to follow, the mordians certainly have a lot of character.

Are you going to LGT in Dec?

I am still on the fence about LGT, I want to go but I am already signed up to 3 events this year! 

Edit: I have just bought a LGT ticket and signed up to 2 others... I think I might have a problem :teehee:

Edited by Mordian Glory

So it has been a busy few weeks :)

Along with doing some serious work on converting the spare room to a proper YouTube studio, I have been painting Guardsmen like a mad man!

I got another squad of converted Cadians done from start to finish (including the transfer/regiment number), as well as completing a 2 officers, a commissar, 2 spare laspistol chainsword sgts and a squad of classic metal Mordians.

Now to be fair, some of the models were part done. Either early models that I hadn't added the final touches to or test models that just need a couple of extra colours. This is what allowed me to get so many models finished in a short time.

End result: Exactly 340 models have been fully restored!

Now the next step is adding more long range firepower to the army. I am going to be doing a big push on Heavy Weapon Teams, with the aim of having 1 available for each Infantry Squad. Either that or paint up some more 2nd Ed. Stormtroopers :biggrin.:

That is all for now, as always lots of pictures in the spoiler below:

ToHhOl5.jpg
Feovmqs.jpg
psx2l9L.jpg
6fYdfeX.jpg
o3k7CKy.jpg
iavW3S4.jpg
uDfEskU.jpg
EpaDrxs.jpg
qu4hI10.jpg
0PWewqE.jpg
P38SxhY.jpg
f1JR9Ha.jpg
bsVbZaO.jpg
HAM6Tge.jpg

Hi dude

this has been an interesting thread to follow, the mordians certainly have a lot of character.

I am still on the fence about LGT, I want to go but I am already signed up to 3 events this year! 

Edit: I have just bought a LGT ticket and signed up to 2 others... I think I might have a problem :teehee:

Hahah dont we all, i was initially wanting to take my own IG infantry list, but not sure i cant get them painted in time. I suspect i may take my UM primaris phobos instead. Ill look out for you.

Hi dude

Hahah dont we all, i was initially wanting to take my own IG infantry list, but not sure i cant get them painted in time. I suspect i may take my UM primaris phobos instead. Ill look out for you.

DM me if you want mate, perhaps we will have chance to meet up for a pint (or other preferred beverage) at the event!

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings all,

I am happy to report that I have finished an additional 15 riflemen for the Mordians. This is actually the bulk of the remaining riflemen for 1st Platoon of 2nd Company! Now I just need to do the Sgts and Heavy Weapons (got all the plasma gun guys finished already!)

I will soon have another full platoon done! Picture below:

o5NRFu1.jpg
Edited by Mordian Glory

• 4 months later...

*blows dust of thread*

Wow where did the last 6 months go!

Ever since the UK lockdown has ended I have been going to lots of tournaments and events. Whilst its been great fun, it has sucked away time from painting my Mordians :sad.:

But I haven't stopped painting entirely, in fact I actually got a full Scion task force painted and have been using it as my go to competitive army. But recently I have been getting the strong itch to start up the Great Restoration Project again and so I present to my fellow commanders the models I have managed to complete over the last few weeks .

Hopefully, I can return to regular updates of this thread (although with Black Templars on the horizon it might be hard!)

As is tradition, please see pics below in the spoiler:

Heavy Bolter Squad 1

jOAoUfJ.jpg

Priest:

UCHKgUK.jpg
qmK8pXR.jpg
I2fQUZy.jpg

Heavy Bolter Squad 2:

I3CTLgV.jpg
Edited by Mordian Glory

There's time to polish boots and times to crusade, both are going the Emperor's will! :)

Good to see some more progress. I've been getting the itch to paint my Mordians lately. Although that might have to wait until I'm finished with a tournament force.

• 5 weeks later...

Greetings Commanders,

There has been a little progress made on the restoration project, 2 new officers and a infantry squad have joined the ranks.

Its not as much as I would have liked, but I have been playing lots of games with my Guard so hopefully the Emperor will forgive me!

With these models completed, I have actually finished the 2nd platoon of the 2nd company (5th platoon overall) of the regiment. This means I am just 1 platoon away from having another full company for the regiment :biggrin.:

I have the next platoon already stripped, repaired and base coated as well, so it shouldn't be too long until the second company is complete :smile.:

As always, pictures below:

CzcFoUb.jpg
sQHu4pA.jpg
Edited by Mordian Glory

• 3 weeks later...

Another month in service of our glorious Emperor has passed!

Painting progress has been good, I have completed 2 Manticores and a metal Lord Creed. The Manticores are a new addition to force but the Creed model has been in my collection for 17 years! 

The old man has been leading my Mordians for almost 2 decades and it feels so good to have him back in command of the 50th Rifles :smile.:

I know Creed is a Cadian officer, so I normally run him as Colonel Meed, Creeds Mordian Cousin! He fits in really well with the rest of my army thanks to the big greatcoat and the grumpy face.

I have also been hard at work on the frontlines, fighting the enemies of the Emperor. I attended 2 tournaments this month, a 2 dayer and a 1 dayer. Despite every battle being against top meta armies and players, the 50th did the Emperor proud and they prevailed in 5 out 8 games :smile.:

That is all for this week, pictures below as always!

Manticores:

DIoRWpa.jpg
wmoA3SA.jpg
8CHl6gB.jpg

Creeeeeed:

KhINnim.jpg
WGBztvF.jpg

Battle Pics:

bNYJXmy.jpg
izXmWUE.jpg
37hTKr3.jpg
0kNXN54.jpg
m5SQem4.jpg
PHF0Zl6.jpg
nOGYEvX.jpg
RfXbraQ.jpg
Edited by Mordian Glory

5/8 impressive effort! :thumbsup:

So many questions:

What was your list, who were you opponents and what were your preferred secondaries?

How'd you manage to hold on to the primaries without being blown off :ohmy.:

Yes, winning more than half your games is a good result especially for an older codex well done :thumbsup: Don't forget to share tactical insights with the rest of the barracks :smile.:

Thank you!

I used the new Cadian rules from the Octarius Supplement, and I found them to be really good. I used the Load-Fire-Reload strat every turn and the extra exploding sixes made a big difference. I also was allowed to use the new update from the Balance Patch, and I can say with great confidence that 2+ save Leman Russ Tanks are fantastic. Every single game I was making saves that pre balance patch I would have failed. The ol' Russ feels much tougher now.

Over the 2 events I faced Thousand Sons, Nid Hive Guard Spam (twice) Death Guard, Dark Eldar, Grey Knights, Sisters and Iron Warriors. Both events I would describe as "shark tanks". Really high skilled, sometime famous, players who had very strong lists. Out of the 80+ players over both events, I was probably 1 of 4-5 people running a low tier army, at least via conventional internet wisdom. 

My list was very slightly different between the events, but I have included the version I took to the second one. It incorporates some lessons learned from the first tournament and overall I feel it performed better :)

Detachment 1 - Battalion (0 CP)

Regiment Trait - Cadia

HQ

Lord Castellan Creed (60): Creed (60)

Knight Commander Pask (250): Pask (200) with 3x Heavy Bolter (45) and a Battle cannon (5)

Tank Commander (225): Tank commander (175) with 3x Heavy Flamer (45) and a Demolisher Cannon (5) Warlord (No Trait, extra tank ace)

Troops

Conscripts (140): 28 x Conscripts (150), Upgraded to Whiteshields (Pre-game Stratagem)

Conscripts (150): 30 x Conscripts (150), Upgraded to Whiteshields (Pre-game Stratagem)

Infantry Squad (55): 9x Guardsmen with Lasgun (50), Sgt with a Laspistol and Chainsword (5)

Infantry Squad (55): 9x Guardsmen with Lasgun (50), Sgt with a Laspistol and Chainsword (5)

Fast Attack:

Scout Sentinel (35): Sentinel (35) with Multi-Laser

Heavy Support

Matincore (145): Manticore (145) with heavy bolter (0), Tank Ace (Full Payload)

Matincore (145): Manticore (145) with heavy bolter (0), Extra Tank Ace (Full Payload)

Detachment 2 - Patrol (-2 CP)

Regiment Trait - Cadia

HQ

Tank Commander (225): Tank commander (175) with 3x Heavy Flamer (45) and a Demolisher Cannon (5) Warlord (No Trait, extra tank ace)

Tank Commander (225): Tank commander (175) with 3x Heavy Bolter (45) and a Battle cannon (5) and Gatekeeper (Relic Battle Cannon).

Troops

Pregame CP:

-2CP fo an extra Patrol detachment

-1CP for Whiteshields

- 1 CP for an extra Tank Ace

Starting CP: 8

The list played in a very classic Guard style, it held the line for the first couple of turns and absorbed the charges. Then when the enemy was committed the big guns blew them to pieces and I would then start pushing out turns 3 onwards. Nearly every game, I would take significant causalities turns 1 and 2 and would be behind on points, but then in the later rounds I would effect a come back and catch up and overtake my opponents points.

The firepower of the list was incredible, way higher then I expected. In every game I played I easily did more damage then my opponents. Often once the dust had settle I would still have 600-800+ points of my army left and my enemy would have a single squad or a few scraps hiding in terrain. In one game, I went first against the new Hive Guard spam and killed so much my opponent conceded turn 1, I didn't take a single casualty.

However, A big weakness of the list was the lack of early turn aggression. If I took too long to clear the enemy in the early turns, I would struggle to pick up the points late game. Every game I lost was because it took until T4 to start the come back and opponent was able to keep me pinned back for too long.  

Sorry for the wall of text, hope that all makes sense!

Armies that rely on a certain phase almost exclusively tend to have difficult early games that can make or break it, I think of my poor Daemons army that spends the first turn or two getting kicked in before you can finally start your plans and such. Then you're almost racing to convert the game into a win as the turns count down :sweat: If you can deliver enough damage quickly enough you can usually do well enough though, and it sounds like you had that so a good list and plan for it :thumbsup:

Such is the nature of the game, in cases like there where you can expect to reliably pull ahead once you remove your opponent's gambits that of course means your game rests on that prevention - a wily opponent who can keep pressing for long enough will be all but assured victory, and some armies will naturally be better at this than others. The game would be boring without such events right? :wink: