The Great Mordian Restoration Project!

Greeting Commanders,

It has been a busy week but despite this I have still made good progress. 3 more riflemen finished. I just need to complete the 3x plasma gunners and vox operator and I will have completed the first squad :biggrin.: I am starting to get an idea of how the army will look and becoming more sure of the colour scheme I went for. I was worried that the uniform was too dark, but the light basing and guns helps contrast it nicely :smile.:

I also have news from the paint stripping front! Now that the testing phase is complete I have begun stripping cohesive units, rather than random models. As a result, the first platoon of original metal Mordians have been soaking in a Detol bath, in preparation for being stripped this weekend. The platoon consists of 2x infantry squads (grenade launcher/lascannon and grenade launcher/missile launcher), a command squad (heavy bolter, flamer, rifleman) and a junior officer with a bolter. I am looking forward to getting these classic models repainted.

That is all for now, as always pics below:

GNWbHat.jpg
2vQjnmP.jpg
CJ4i47l.jpg
RdJ47vn.jpg
9bNsxiL.jpg
Edited by Mordian Glory

MG, you forgot to post a picture of all the models you’ll be restoring in this project (unless you count the picture of them in the tub, which you can’t because they aren't stood up in their squads. How else will you compare the before and after photos?

MG, you forgot to post a picture of all the models you’ll be restoring in this project (unless you count the picture of them in the tub, which you can’t because they aren't stood up in their squads. How else will you compare the before and after photos?

Thats a really good idea! I will try and get a photo up this week :)

Greeting Commanders,

Another weekend passed and another weekend spent in glorious service to the Emperor.

I have made great progress with both painting and stripping models. The first squad is complete, a plasma Veteran squad, and another officer has been finished. I have also stripped down, cleaned and re-base coated the first platoon of metal Mordians. 

I played around with head swaps as well,  on another squad of Cadians, but this time I used the parade cap heads from Anvil Industries. The caps are much bigger then the Victoria Miniature caps. I am still undecided on which ones to use for the rest of the plastic models. I had a go at using heads from some bolt action Germans, but they were way to small :sad.:

What amazed me was how quickly I seem to be able to paint guardsmen in comparison to other models and how much I enjoyed it. I made a start on the one of the metal squads and before I knew it I had almost finished them! I think its partly that guard models are simpler to paint, but also the fact that I have painted so many of the little guys in my lifetime that at this point its muscle memory! :tongue.: I should easily be able to pump out a squad a week on average, even with burnout and real life getting in the way. This is great news as it means the project should progress at a very nice pace and I will be able to start using the new models on the table top :smile.:

Thats all for now, as always, pics below:

EG1t8g9.jpg
1nYTjfV.jpg
QuodZCm.jpg
rlldotm.jpg
MbHFaaB.jpg
nIU0cEn.jpg
vqZQyrJ.jpg
94wEOV7.jpg

Edited by WarriorFish
Format fixed

A squad a week impressive work :tu:

Do you plan on painting the movement trays? I have a few and I'm yet to do it

Looks good can't wait to see them on full parade when they're done!

A squad a week impressive work :thumbsup:

Do you plan on painting the movement trays? I have a few and I'm yet to do it

Looks good can't wait to see them on full parade when they're done!

Thanks, I cant wait to get the first platoon finished :D

I can do 2 men a night, giving me wiggle room in case I miss a couple of evenings.

Movement trays may just receive a basic spray of Mournfang brown for now, will possible add some texture paint later :) 

The repainted models are well done. I especially like the plasma gunners.

Thank you :)

I wonder if the new paints from GW may be helpful?

I am keeping an eye on them, but doing the green is actually a very easy part of the model so they may not be as helpful as I first thought. i will still try them out though :) 

Great progress! You’re going great guns on these.

Thank you, I am hoping to start churning them out at a fast pace during the upcoming ETL event.

Greeting Commanders,

Progress on the Mordians continues at an acceptable pace. I have manged to do all the base layers on the second squad. Now I just need to wash the models and the units will be completed :biggrin.:

I really enjoyed painting these old Mordians but they do give you an appreciation for how far GW models have come! All the same, it was very enjoyable painting something a bit simpler and rougher. I am already looking forward to starting on the next squad, just need to decide between another metal unit or some converted plastic Cadians, either way it should be good fun :biggrin.:

I just have the one photo for now, when I have applied the washes later this week I will show some more details pictures :smile.:

ihb3GNM.jpg
Edited by Mordian Glory

Greetings Commanders,

Despite the fact I was away nearly all weekend, I am happy to report that the second squad has now had the washes applied and is finished :) I really like how the power sword on the Sgt turned out!

I have also got all the green completed on a 3rd , another unit of metal Mordians. This time the squad is armed with a Lascannon, Grenade Launcher and the Sgt has a laspistol and chainsword.

I know that the ETL is coming up, but I am going to keep on painting my Mordians anyway. After all, I do have hundreds of them to do so will still be able to contribute greatly to the cause :)

As always, pictures below:

kwKXS3N.jpg
fCMeKb3.jpg
1NZnsg9.jpg
FTrTMGX.jpg

Models are looking great MG!

I enjoy your YT channel (that's where I first heard about the project); good stuff to listen to when I'm painting, and a bit more detail on your progress is appreciated.

Models are looking great MG!

I enjoy your YT channel (that's where I first heard about the project); good stuff to listen to when I'm painting, and a bit more detail on your progress is appreciated.

Thanks! Glad you are enjoying the videos too :D

Wow :wub:  great to see someone redoing their stuff so the models can happily game again in repainted glory...i hear those Mordians are a stickler for looking sharp :ermm:  lucky your doing them justice :thumbsup:

Also that paint box you have there...it could nearly pass as a terrain piece now :laugh.: !!

Cheers, Mithril

Wow :wub:  great to see someone redoing their stuff so the models can happily game again in repainted glory...i hear those Mordians are a stickler for looking sharp :ermm:  lucky your doing them justice :thumbsup:

Also that paint box you have there...it could nearly pass as a terrain piece now :laugh.: !!

Cheers, Mithril

Looking great!

I really like the blue with the green.

Thanks both, I appreciate the support :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Commanders,

I know I have not updated this thread in a few weeks, I have been pushing to get my cult army 100% completed in time for a tournament. I only have a handful of models left for the vile xenos heretics. Once they are done I will be able to purely dedicate myself to Mordians.

I also will be pledging myself to the Guard for the ETL. I plan on getting a shed load of Infantry done over the next 3 months. Im gonna crank up production to 1 squad a week every week, so should be easily able to get 100+ guys done :D 

My first Vow is prepped and I am itching to commit. I have a full platoon of Guardsmen either stripped or in the dettol bath!

Greetings Commanders,

My service to the emperor has been fulfilled this week and I have completed another infantry squad :)

This time it was a Lascannon and Grenade Launcher squad, with the sgt armed with a trusty laspistol and chainsword. I always enjoy painting a Lascannon+Grenade launcher squad as they are the preferred special and heavy weapons of the Iron Guard (according to the 4th edition codex fluff anyway).

With this unit complete I can now focus on my ETL vow, which is another 4 squads, command squad and 4 characters. When this is done I will have a full traditional Guard platoon :D 

As always, pics below. I used a different camera this time, but they photos came out quite dark. I really need to get a light box!

O3Ne4cX.jpg
dUHQznS.jpg
E6iRDQv.jpg
ydK765Y.jpg
ktqAgcq.jpg