The Great Mordian Restoration Project!

Looking good :thumbsup:

Impressive progress too!

As for light boxes I really like my foldio 2

http://orangemonkie.com/product/foldio2plus/

Nicely done, and quick too keep them coming :biggrin.:

Thank you both! I am really enjoying getting stuck into my Mordians again :) I can paint Guard infantry very quickly so when I have finished with my cult I will really be able to crank out the infantry squads :D

And thanks for the light box link @Duz, I will check it out. 

Greetings Commanders,

I have committed myself to the Imperial guard for this years ETL! I think it will give  huge boost to my Mordians and help me crank out lots of units quickly.

My first vow is a follows: 

Lord Commissar with power fist and plasma pistol. 43pts

Senior Officer with bolter and chainsword. 31pts

Junior Officer with powerfist and laspistol. 28pts

Priest with laspistol and chainsword. 35pts

Command squad with heavy bolter and flamer. 38pts

Infantry squad with vox and flamer. 51pts

Infantry squad with grenade launcher. 43pts

Infantry Squad with Melta, Sgt has a power sword. 54pts

Infantry Squad with grenade launcher and missile launcher. 58pts

Total: 381pts

When this is all done I will have completed my first platoon of Mordians and should be able to start using them in some smaller point level games :D 

Greeting Commanders,

Another week passes and another squad completed :) This time I finished my first unit that is part of my ETL vow, an Infantry squad with flamer and vox. I used the Anvil industries heads to convert the Cadians to Mordians and I have to say I am very impressed with them. I have used Anvil on a unit and Victoria on another and I am leaning towards using Anvil for the rest of the Army! They are slightly more over the top and 40k feeling, especially with the bionic eyes :)

I went for a flamer in this squad for 3 reasons. Firstly, you cant beat the rule of cool with a flamer! Secondly, This is going to be part of my "assault infantry", no heavy weapon and kitted out for getting in close to the enemy and bayoneting them. And thirdly it fits with the fluff I am going for with the restoration project, which is the regiment has ditched its psykers and is now accompanied by many priests. And we all know that the ecclesiarchy loves to purge with fire :P 

I am really getting into the flow now with the Mordians and It feels so good to be painting Guard again! Being able to produce a squad a week is meaning that the army is coming together quite quickly and by the end of the month I am hoping to have my first 500 points force ready for battle reports :D

As always, pictures below:

K3iZsi0.jpg
H5ICd8B.jpg
c8tFyrG.jpg
7u2ufqC.jpg
3DSgaDi.jpg
5f1NqQH.jpg
4bE5k8y.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Commanders,

Progress on the Mordian front has been slow the last 2 weeks as I have had a tournament to prepare for. However, I was still able to pay my tithe to the Emperor and I completed a command squad and Senior Officer. The first links in the chain of command have been forged for the platoon :) 

Pics of the command squad below (dont have any of the officer yet):

hdxuYJX.jpg
E7HXbzs.jpg
FHbbsNX.jpg
Jl7go3M.jpg
8eVBkPs.jpg

Looking good! Scheme actually looks super similar to my Mordians too, therefore I like it.

Thank you :D

Nice looking guardsmen you got there! :thumbsup:

The wheeled carriage for the bolter is very cool. How did you do them?

Love the grumpy melta(?) gunner!

As Duz pointed out, its one of the original old school Heavy weapon teams :)

Its a flamer :) and I too love all the grumpy faces in the Mordian metal models, gives them their own charm and is true to their fluff!

Greetings Commanders,

The Mordian 50th Rifles continue to be rearmed and refitted. Now that my time isn't being taken up by tournament practice, I have managed to keep up with my self set aim of 1 squad a week :D

This time I have completed another Assault Unit, An infantry squad with Melta Gun and Powersword. I love this load out as my Mordians have traditionally been armed with melta guns, which my opponents hate as there is nothing pleasant about charging an infantry platoon brimming with over watching melta!

I am getting close to being able to field my planned 500pts pure infantry list, just a couple of squads and 3 characters :)

As always pics below:

VrvA4li.jpg
uuFGQ8W.jpg
Id6XzyR.jpg
aJHhBXE.jpg
7FeOQF5.jpg
ittluWk.jpg

Another glorious week in the Guard has passed and recruitment continues at a steady pace :)

As per my schedule another squad of Infantry have been completed, this time I went for a fire support squad with Missile Launcher and Grenade Launcher. I quite like this combo of weapons on the squad because it not too expensive points wise and with a couple of lucky rolls can put out a lot of frag shots to compliment the lasgun volleys, and in a tight spot a couple of Krak rounds can take a chunk out of enemy armour.

With this squad finished, I am very close to my first platoon being completed. Just 1 more squad and 3 characters and I will finally break the 500pts milestone for the army :D 

I am looking at the following for a friendly 500pts list:

HQ

Company Commander: Bolter.

Lord Commissar: Plasma Pistol and Power Fist.

Elite

Platoon Commader: Powerfist and Laspistol.

Priest: Laspistol and Chainsword.

Command Squad: Heavy Bolter

Troops:

Infantry Squad: Flamer.

Infantry Squad: Flamer, Sgt with Power Sword.

Infantry Squad: Melta, Sgt with Power Sword.

Infantry Squad: Grenade Launcher and Missile Launcher

Infantry Squad: Grenade Launcher and Missile Launcher

Infantry Squad: Grenade Launcher and Lascannon

Thats all for now, as always pics below:

TMakvLy.jpg
6WfOZqg.jpg
AiggH8c.jpg
gvZkB5F.jpg
AFqtiL1.jpg
E3BR9Se.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings Commanders,

I know it has been quiet in this thread for a few weeks. I have been focusing on my ETL Vow 1 and have finally completed it! Pics below:

ztpMNJs.jpg
ttl8tiu.jpg
6cyFOrA.jpg
ijxk2U6.jpg
bhdZ4hC.jpg
dxqrozU.jpg
Xn4XkMC.jpg
PdLh7dJ.jpg
2KiDyDN.jpg
Yxok6jX.jpg
PPN2KLx.jpg
LcDoqWl.jpg

With this first vow completed I have finally broken the 500pts completed mark :D I have in total 6 infantry squads, plasma Veteran Squad, Command Squad and 6 characters all painted up in the new colour scheme. This means I can start playing a few small skirmish games and possibly do some fast paced battle reports. It also means I have a solid base for my first "Platoon".

What has really struck me over the last couple of months is just how cheap Guardsmen are and how many you can squeeze into and all infantry army! I am really enjoying the feeling of being an infantry commander again and I cant wait to start throwing wave after wave of guardsmen at the enemy :P

The next big push is to get to 750pts. My plan to do this is take some support elements to 1st Platoon. I am looking at taking a mortar heavy weapon squad to provide some indirect fire support. This is both fluffy, historical and tactically fulfilling for me. From a fluff perspective, no guard platoon is complete without some dedicated mortar support. Historically, my Guard have always made good use of mortars, even in editions were they were not very good. I used to run 4x Mortar heavy weapon squads and 4 command squad with mortars back in 6th/7th edition. Now I will have to be content with just the 3x Mortar Squads.

I also want to start taking some Ogryns (Not bullgryns). In the past I have always turned my nose up at the big brutes, but lately I have been developing a soft spot for them. They are a classic Guard unit which, like Orks, can be a tonne of fun to just throw at the enemy. Tactically speaking, I think Ogryns are a bit of a sleeper unit. They are so damn cheap, at only 24pts per model and they pack a hell of a punch. I think the key is to not overload on them, but to take a couple of squads to just bum rush the enemy. If they make it they will do big damage and if they fail then its not too many points down the drain. 

To that end I have put my money where my mouth is and made my second ETL vow: A squad of 6 Ogryns converted from AoS/Fantasy Ogors. I have already started building and converting these guys and I am happy with the initial results. Pics below:

WuSo2jW.jpg

Well that is all for now, a big update but going forward i should be able to break it down into a few smaller update so its not such a wall of text! Not post should hopefully have some close up pics of the completed Ogryns :) 

Those conversions look great! Really like the caps too :laugh.::thumbsup:

Thanks Duz!

I am waiting on some more ripper guns from a friend who is building up bullgryns, I only had 4 spare myself. The good thing about Ogryns is that because everyone uses the current kit to build bullgryns, everyone is willing to just give away the ripper guns! 

The caps were really easy to make too :) I'm no greenstuff expert so I am sure someone else could come up with a better method then me but this is my process:

Step 1: Make a little rectangle of greenstuff for the cap peak, round 1 long side and keep 1 long side straight. Stick this on the forehead, with the rounded side pointing down.

Step 2: For the band I just made a little sausage of greenstuff by rolling between thumb and forefinger and joined each end to make a donut. I then put this on the top of head making sure it connected to the peak.

Step 3: For the top part I got a blob of greenstuff and squashed it between thumb and forefinger and then peeled it off my thumb. This made a nice curve to the top of the cap. I then just stuck it on top of the donut and trimmed the sides to make sure it didn't overhang to much.

I might make a quick tutorial video to explain it better!

The kit bashes turned out really well, do you have spare grenades and canisters and the like? They would complete them :smile.:

I do, they are stuck on the belt, round the back of the model. There was not much room to put them on the front due to the belly plate :P

A thought about your Mordians. Different jobs in the military have alternate colors denoting a different military occupation speciality. The color of the infantry is blue in the US army signified by blue cords and blue officer rank fields on the dress blue uniform. Engineer colors are scarlet and white so engineers wear red suspenders and their officers wear red rank fields insignias on their uniforms. Artillery officers also wear red in the same places. So possibly have you infantry wear blue accents like they currently do, artillery models (like loaders on a basilisk or hydra) wear red accents, and so on. It might give a little extra flair to your already very pretty army.

A thought about your Mordians. Different jobs in the military have alternate colors denoting a different military occupation speciality. The color of the infantry is blue in the US army signified by blue cords and blue officer rank fields on the dress blue uniform. Engineer colors are scarlet and white so engineers wear red suspenders and their officers wear red rank fields insignias on their uniforms. Artillery officers also wear red in the same places. So possibly have you infantry wear blue accents like they currently do, artillery models (like loaders on a basilisk or hydra) wear red accents, and so on. It might give a little extra flair to your already very pretty army.

I have colour coded my guardsmen in the past and whilst it looks cool, I actually found it impractical :( I often like to mix and match units and try different lists and so my men don't tend to stay in the same squads for long. Also when I am running my pure infantry army at events, I don't have time to make sure each guy goes back in the right unit.

Having said that, I did do something similar with my Steel Legion though and it looked really good there. I used different transfer and markings to denote different battle field roles and it made a huge positive impact to the finished army. 

Maybe with this Restoration Project it is time to add that next level of detail to my regiment, its certainly something for me to think about :) 

Greetings Commanders, 

The first of the Mordian Ogryns has been completed! 

I am pretty happy with how the model turned out, its a little rougher than expected but overall I am happy with the conversion and the paint job. I feel like the model model looks sufficiently grim dark and 40k now.

The second big fella is almost finished and I will update when the squad is complete. Also thanks to a friend, I have the Bitz to convert another squad of 6 up :)

Overall, I think that the conversion is very easy to do and I recommend it to anyone who want to get some ogryns and use left over parts from their bullgryns.

rRi82qw.jpg
orRNGLK.jpg
vO0SKYP.jpg
5s9RbDW.jpg