The Great Mordian Restoration Project!

• 2 weeks later...

Mordian glory, do you somehow mark your squads so that it’s the same ten models each time? Or is it more “here’s a Sgt with the right loadout, a special and heavy wth the right weapons, and the remaining lasguns?

I don't use squad markings currently, as you said I just make sure the squad has the correct loadout and the models tend to get mixed between units :) I do this because when I go to events I haven't got time to make sure that each squad has got the exact right models. 

Well the Christmas holidays are over and the new year is here. Whilst much enjoyment was had, my duty to the emperor was not neglected. 

My original plan for the holiday period was to finish off the second platoon. However, I was getting a little burned out from painting Infantry Squads every week and I wanted to mix things up a little bit. Instead I decided to start work on my "Assault Corp". This is a force of Old School metal stormtroopers that I plan on using as Death Korp Of Krieg Grenadiers.

The fluff behind these guys is that they are modeled off the Cadian Kasrkin tactics, which have been brought into the regiment by remnant cadian regiments absorbed into the Mordian 50th Rifles. Each Squad will be comprised of the most aggressive, strongest and veteran members of the regiment. They will be issued better armour and equipment and their role will be storm the most heavily defended parts of the enemy lines and create a breakthrough (Think WW1 German Storm Tactics). 

I have also come up with a fluff justification for the models and their style of equipment. Because these are not proper scions, they do not get issued with the most up-to-date equipment. Instead the commissars in the regiment have pulled some strings in the Munitorum, and managed to get the regiment a large supply of "out dated" scion equipment. Essentially they have been given the second line/reserve gear that the proper Militarum Tempestus doesn't want anymore! 

I have so far completed 2x 5 man squads. The plan is to get another 5 man squad and a couple of characters completed to have the skeleton of a third battalion finished. After that I can bulk the current squads out to 10 man units and add another 3 full squads. This would give me 60 Grenadiers, which is a solid attacking force :D

I have included the pictures below under the spolier tag. Be warned there are lots of pictures!

Squad 1: Grenade Launcher and Plasma Gun

515sdt8.jpg
JFzeDQH.jpg
bdYubGp.jpg
zEchYAD.jpg
Pk4Ztf2.jpg
E5yyPaX.jpg
ZokhtLZ.jpg
LVt42Nv.jpg
vk4tsT6.jpg
jMzm2Wg.jpg
dVklerY.jpg
61ilxqU.jpg
BcNKYA2.jpg
2mEDykq.jpg
zSONxHG.jpg
iKuYKjR.jpg
U90ovWW.jpg

Squad 2: Flamer and Plasma Gun

nQqA1vk.jpg
glbn6pA.jpg
u0M1U59.jpg
aEbavHF.jpg
llQpemO.jpg
m5XOFEp.jpg
TWS7BzE.jpg

I love the old Stormies, they look great! :biggrin.:

I love the models, but boy are they bad quality. Random bits of equipment that dont look like anything, models look like they are wearing nappies/diapers no gaps so spaces filled in with MOAR METAL :P 

Looks great I to miss those minis I always engender remember admiring them as a kid in 3rd Ed

However the demolisher came first :thumbsup:

I think every Guard player got one of those old school metal Demolishers, such a great model!

Greetings Commanders,

This week I was able to finish another 5 man squad for the Assault Korp. This time I went for a melta gun and a flamer as the special weapons. I know that with stormies it is better to take matching special weapons to maximize efficiency, and that also its best to take melta and plasma only. However, I have a very important reason for painting up the less effective choices. I plan on painting every model in my collection and I know that if I paint up all the best special weapons first (such as melta and plasma), I will struggle to go back and paint up the sub-optimal choices. That would be a big shame as these old sculpts all deserve attention. So I have promised myself that for every melta/plasma guy I do I will also paint a Grenade Launcher/Flamer model. Also it simply helps stop me becoming burned out from painting the same models over and over again. 

With this 3rd squad finished I have got the bare minimum troops required for my Assault Korp. Up next will be the 2 Marshals to complete the skeleton of the 3rd detachment, these will be a Kasrkin Sgt model and an old Stormtrooper Sgt  with a plasma pistol.

Lots of pictures below under the spoiler:

j4ypDkw.jpg
axBs1xr.jpg
38CUy4F.jpg
CvgBsGh.jpg
TLTig5s.jpg
BWpaaJu.jpg
hDRES8E.jpg
Q02Dc8I.jpg
c8CzaOX.jpg
LvO3Zgb.jpg
1mVFXQv.jpg

qOKS5la.jpg

Edited by Mordian Glory

I love the backpack. Makes it look like they could live in the wilds behind enemy lines. It also looks a bit like they love mustard and ketchup :tongue.:

Are the backpacks something they came with, or did you get them elsewhere? I'm fairly new to this, so I'd like to know what kind of possibilities I have with my future guard army.

Edited by NerdyFellow

They are one piece metal models - the backpacks form part of the torso of the model.  They date back to 3rd edition and were at that time GW's models for stormtroopers.  They were replaced by the Cadian shocktroopers in 4th ed., which in turn were replaced by the Tempestus models in 6th ed (I think).  They are about 20 years old.  So... if you want similar models, you're only bet is trying on e-bay or other places that sell used models.

I love the backpack. Makes it look like they could live in the wilds behind enemy lines. It also looks a bit like they love mustard and ketchup :tongue.:

Are the backpacks something they came with, or did you get them elsewhere? I'm fairly new to this, so I'd like to know what kind of possibilities I have with my future guard army.

I believe Forgeworld do some with the hazardous environments kit. Huh, well I just checked at it appears they don't do it anymore! You should be able to find some 3rd party backpacks though :tu:

They're still there :tu:

Hostile environment conversion set (for 10 models, £24)

Hostile environment plasma conversion set (for 3 models, £17)

Hostile environment melta conversion set (for 3 models, £17)

Hostile environment command squad (6 models with comm array, £35)

I'm still tempted to get some for a custom Vet squad one day.

Love what you did with those classic storm troopers. Yeah, the solid one-piece metal sculpts are far inferior to the modern sculpts ... BUT, the aesthetics are great. I really love the old school 40K aesthetics.

Those Hostile Environment kits are great. What Cadian plastics should have looked like IMO. Pricey though.

Thanks! I know the grenades on the back look a bit like condiments, but they are meant to be Krak Grenades (Yellow) and Incendiary Grenades (Red). I am thinking of changing the Yellow to Green for smoke :)

And as others have said, these are 1 piece old school metal models. They are fairly common on ebay and can be bought for about £5 a model, not far off that of the current plastics.

Love what you did with those classic storm troopers. Yeah, the solid one-piece metal sculpts are far inferior to the modern sculpts ... BUT, the aesthetics are great. I really love the old school 40K aesthetics.

Those Hostile Environment kits are great. What Cadian plastics should have looked like IMO. Pricey though.

Thank you :) I find that the basic hot shot rifle guys have good sculpts. But the special weapons can be very rough, especially the plasma gun models. 

Greeting Commanders,

This week I have focused on completing the characters for the Assault Korp. I have painted up a 3rd ed stormtrooper sgt and an Kasrkin Sgt to use as the Marshalls for the Detachment. This means I am now able to run a bare bones 3rd detachment for lots of extra CP.

Interestingly the old Stormie Sgt now has an illegal loadout out, its not possible to give any model in the Guard a Plasma Pistol and Bolter. Most of the time I plan on running him with the pistol as that is the weapon that stands out the most on the model, but on occasion it might be good to have the bolter instead. I'm not willing to cut the pistol off and replace it, as that would desecrate this classic metal mini :P 

The Kasrkin Sgt is going to be ran wysiwyg and have a hotshot laspistol and power sword. I am really happy with how he turned out and I spent a lot of extra time on the model doing as much fine detail as possible. I am particularly happy with how all the hazard stripes turned out and the brass power cable.

This is the fluff I have for this guy so far:

Sgt "Duke" McClane and his squad were drafted into the Mordian 50th rifles as a remnant unit, their old Cadian company having been nearly wiped out during the the 13th Black Crusade. From the beginning, Duke tried to convince the Mordian Commanders that there are other options outside of human wave assaults. At first the Mordians were skeptical, but  were convinced after seeing the Kasrkin in action at the Battle of Blackwater, where they were responsible for breaking through the main defenses of the opposing Tau army. As a result of this action McClane, was promoted to Captain and given permission to form the Assault Korp, which will combine Mordian and Cadian combat doctrine. The Mordians had 2 conditions for Duke. Firstly, the selection process for the Assault Korp was open to all, not just Cadians adopted into the regiment. Secondly, and most importantly, the Kasrkin adopted the Mordians fancy uniforms and regimental colours, no more cowardly camouflage. 

I also began working on improving the bases in the army. So far I have been content with just using Agrellan Earth, but now that looks a little too simple. I bought some red grass tufts of ebay and stuck them on the bases of 1 of the 5 man stormie squad. I think it works quite well and creates a Badlands theme with the models. I am looking to also add so brown and grey rocks to the bases and will be making these out cut up sprue. 

Next week I will be returning to finishing off second platoon, So look forward to seeing more regular infantry. After that I will be doing the Platoons Veterans and Abhuman support.

Pictures below under the spoiler:

pwaU2mt.jpg
yvuZxnd.jpg
y2XwJ3d.jpg
MgIR2RL.jpg
ruDdw8O.jpg
c2hXGW2.jpg
rkZcBmA.jpg
PaWf0gd.jpg
zMf6y1P.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Commanders,

Just a quick update this week, I have completed the final squad for second platoon. Its a converted Cadian squad armed with a Melta and Power Sword. With this now completed I have all the line infantry for 2 full Battalions/Platoons, so I can run 120 Guardsmen! Most of the parts for these guys came from the standard guardsmen kit, but there were a few different bits used to make the squad unique. The Medic and Melta gun chaps are made nearly entirely from command squad parts, except that the heads are from the chimera box.

The Sgt is a classic metal Cadian model. I have always liked this mini and I am glad to be able to have it painted up. The fluff is that this guy is the last of his entire regiment. They were from a half forgotten Cadian colony, hence his out of date equipment. The planet was invaded by the Tau and whilst his Regiment fought valiantly, they were overwhelmed by the Taus advance tech. The Tau were eventually driven from the world by the Mordians, and this Sgt was drafted into the 50th Rifles as a remnant. He hates the Tau with every fiber of his being and the Mordians have allowed him to keep his old equipment as a token of respect for his loss. 

I have also finally taken some Army Shots. Overall I am happy with the progress and I hope that by the end of the year I should have another 2 Platoons finished. Now I am going to work on the Abhuman support for 2nd Platoon, which will be a full squad of Bullgryns :)

Pics of the squad below:

niqhHG4.jpg
zUiO9xR.jpg
v0aEYfQ.jpg
przEupX.jpg
cU05M3i.jpg
78QcWeX.jpg
KFepxx0.jpg
uL7THtx.jpg

Pics of the Army:

amA040Q.jpg
yBNvaJT.jpg
78rHRCz.jpg
OX1IImZ.jpg
nL5BYBZ.jpg
e9C9Ve2.jpg

Greetings Commanders,

I have finished the first 2 Bullgryns. I am planning on running a full strength squad of these guys so will need to add another 7 of them to the army.  These big lads will make up the Adhuman support for 2nd Platoon. I should be able to finish the rest of the brutes in a couple of weeks. This should give me some proper combat punch and durability that the army has been struggling with up until now. I am going to run them all with Mauls, 3 of them with power shields and the rest with slab shields. The slab shields should do most of the work, but having a few invuln saves in a squad is never a bad thing in case I come across smash captains and the like. 

I am fairly happy with how these models turned out. I found painting them to be fairly easy due to the large surface area. I really like how the hazard stripes but am a little disappointed with the tattoos, I may redo them. Also I built these models a while ago and I noticed after doing them that I don't have any extra equipment on their belts. I may go back and add some bits once the squad is done. 

Once the Bullgryns are out of the way I need to do the Plasma Veterans and the platoon will be finished, they are currently bathing in a dettol jar. I am aiming for the end of Feb for 2nd platoons completion. 

Pictures below in the spoiler:

zSTDdU2.jpg
Az9PStr.jpg
VA1qhYm.jpg
qi3mmeU.jpg
kPeOD4s.jpg
Xncah1U.jpg
WZ9KBpr.jpg
YsBVFaR.jpg
5yap6UX.jpg
Edited by Mordian Glory

Love that red static grass on the cracked earth bases.  The ogryn are very nice indeed. It doesnt detract too much from him, but the slab shield guy has a mould line on his arm (I often find taking photos brings out mould lines not visible normally?)   That aside I love the colours and character of your big guys, Great job.

• 4 weeks later...

Love that red static grass on the cracked earth bases.  The ogryn are very nice indeed. It doesnt detract too much from him, but the slab shield guy has a mould line on his arm (I often find taking photos brings out mould lines not visible normally?)   That aside I love the colours and character of your big guys, Great job.

I always miss the mold lines until I take the photos :facepalm:

Thanks for the positive feedback though :)

Greetings Commanders,

It has been almost a full month since I last posted on this thread, I have been working night and day to finish my full Bullgryn blob. But I can finally announce that that task is complete!

TBH It took me way longer than I expected to do this unit, well over 5 weeks, and this is longest I have spent on a single squad so far in this project. I am very pleased with the end results and I have to say that the sight of a full Bullgryn squad on the table is very cool. It also has the added bonus of scaring the bejeezus out of the enemy :biggrin.:

What I noticed was the Slabshields add on a huge amount of time to each model. I almost spent as much time on the shields as I did the brutes themselves. This is because the shields have lots of little details and colours worked into them, and also lots of edges that needed highlighting. The smaller Brute Shields were really quick to paint and I actually enjoyed doing them more, if only they were the more competitive choice!

Like the Ogryns from first platoon, I added the Parade Caps to the Bullgryns. At first I used GW greenstuff, but I found it very tacky and difficult to mould so instead I switched to Milliput. This was much easier and I would recommend to anyone who plans on doing the same to use Milliput. Its very cheap, much easier to use. Only downside is it is a little crumbly/chalky and takes much longer to dry.

I built the squad so it can be fielded as a 9 man squad or split down into 3x3 man squads. Each of the Brute Shield guys can act as a BONE'ed but when they are all together the one converted from Nork acts as the Squad leader and the normal Bullgryns have the gasmasks. All the shields bar 2 are not glued in as well, so if the meta changes I can swap the shields. I have however glued in the Mauls. My thinking is that bullgryns are always going to be a melee focused unit, and if I want shooty brutes I will just use Ogryn :)

With this squad done I am now really close to being able to field a full 2000pts army of pure infantry. I just need to finish the Plasma Veteran Squad for 2nd Platoon and add 1 more 5 man squad to the Assault Korp and I will be able to field a full sized pure infantry list! Once I have this I will be going back and doing all the edge highlighting and dry brushing for 1st platoon.

Bit by bit the regiment is coming together :)

Pic below within the spoiler:

yDsEpjn.jpg

TgYrigw.jpg
mBQ3ld9.jpg
8YLxbWU.jpg
UAmaXqi.jpg
qr1JZOt.jpg
ZoVI5lR.jpg
Rbn59Wx.jpg