Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BA 1K Starter List

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Matarno - Lord of Skyfall

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

I am getting back into the hobby for the first time in 15ish years, jumping right back into BA. 8th seems to have been kind and cruel at the same time to the Angels, and most of my games to start will be friendlys with my buddies and the local game store. Very open to critiques and suggestions, thanks for checking out my list.

Battalion (8CP)

HQ

Captain (Warlord) - Relic Blade, Plasma Pistol, Angels Wing, Artisan of War (107 Pts)

Sanguinary Priest - Chainsword, Jump Pack (86 Pts)

Troops

Tactical Squad (Sgt, 4Marines) - Heavy Bolter (75 Pts)

Elites

Vanguard Vets (Sgt, 9 Marines) - Jump Packs, Power Swords, Storm Shields (230 Pts)

Fast Attack

Assault Squad (Sgt, 8 Marines) - Eviscerator, Meltagun x 2, Jump Packs (174 Pts)

Assault Squad (Sgt, 8 Marines) - Eviscerator, Meltagun x 2, Jump Packs (174 Pts)

Basic idea is the Assault Squads and Tactical Squads start on the board, with an eye on objectives. Turn one Assault squads go tank hunting and objective grabbing. Tactical squad stays in/near deployment zone to grab objectives and provide a little fire support. Turn two is the typical Descent of Angels attack, with Captain absorbing overwatch and buffing Vanguard along with the Priest. 

• t-dog1996 likes this

So fear not and be proud, for we are the sons of Sanguinius, the protectors of Mankind. Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.

t-dog1996

t-dog1996

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 242 posts

That's a solid start. I like that you've resisted the temptation to go for Primaris Marines. The miniatures are certainly nice but rules-wise they don't play to our strengths.

In terms of how it might be improved, Tactical Marines are good for what you have planned for them but with the Heavy Bolter loadout you might be better off with Scouts instead. Slightly less durable but this is mitigated by cover and they can deploy ahead of your main army for better board control.

If you switched all three Tactical Squads to Scouts you'd save 30 points total, leaving you on 966 points. You could spend 10 of those points on giving your Assault Sergeants Thunder Hammers instead of Eviscerators (Trust me, Thunder Hammers are a vastly superior choice. They don't have the AP-4 of Eviscerators but AP-3 is good enough and 3 damage per wound is so much more reliable than D3).

This will leave you on 976 points, giving you enough points to give your Smash Captain the Thunder Hammer and storm shield he needs to really shine. A relic blade is decent for its points cost, but the Thunder Hammer is better. The -1 to hit is strongly but not entirely mitigated by the Captain's reroll 1s ability, and it will hit much harder in CC.

A storm shield is optional for a Smash Captain, especially as he already has a 4+ invuln, but combined with the Death Visions of Sanguinius strategem (trust me you're going to want to use this) it makes him just that little bit harder to break down and is probably worth its points. A plasma pistol isn't a bad option for its points cost, but it's at its most useful when supercharged, and you want to avoid that at all costs. The risk of your Captain blowing himself up is very small, but it is still there. Overall I would recommend going melee-focus and sticking with the storm shield, but it's up to you and if you want him to have some ranged capability it's not a bad option.

• Matarno - Lord of Skyfall likes this

"They are the sons of the Angel, the blooded host, the defenders of Humanity. They are strength. They are nobility. They are the Blood Angels, and I say to you there are no more loyal or determined servants of the Emperor alive today."

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17 posts

That's a solid start. I like that you've resisted the temptation to go for Primaris Marines. The miniatures are certainly nice but rules-wise they don't play to our strengths.

Thanks man, appreciate it. I can't get behind the whole Primaris thing. Especially with them have zero close combat ability. I also should have listed the loadouts I did because of rule of cool, that prob would have helped explain some things better.

In terms of how it might be improved, Tactical Marines are good for what you have planned for them but with the Heavy Bolter loadout you might be better off with Scouts instead. Slightly less durable but this is mitigated by cover and they can deploy ahead of your main army for better board control.

Rule of cool. The BA Tactical Box is awesome, love the way GW built the box for BA. Scouts look terrible IMO, so I know I am giving up competitive play here.

If you switched all three Tactical Squads to Scouts you'd save 30 points total, leaving you on 966 points. You could spend 10 of those points on giving your Assault Sergeants Thunder Hammers instead of Eviscerators (Trust me, Thunder Hammers are a vastly superior choice. They don't have the AP-4 of Eviscerators but AP-3 is good enough and 3 damage per wound is so much more reliable than D3).

I play mostly guys that run CSM and Space Wolves, with tons of Dreads. The AP -4 has helped out a ton against them, but I will build and model up some TH alternates for playing other armies. Thanks for the input!

This will leave you on 976 points, giving you enough points to give your Smash Captain the Thunder Hammer and storm shield he needs to really shine. A relic blade is decent for its points cost, but the Thunder Hammer is better. The -1 to hit is strongly but not entirely mitigated by the Captain's reroll 1s ability, and it will hit much harder in CC.

A storm shield is optional for a Smash Captain, especially as he already has a 4+ invuln, but combined with the Death Visions of Sanguinius strategem (trust me you're going to want to use this) it makes him just that little bit harder to break down and is probably worth its points. A plasma pistol isn't a bad option for its points cost, but it's at its most useful when supercharged, and you want to avoid that at all costs. The risk of your Captain blowing himself up is very small, but it is still there. Overall I would recommend going melee-focus and sticking with the storm shield, but it's up to you and if you want him to have some ranged capability it's not a bad option.

Captain is both rule of cool here, and that I didn't want to run the Smash Captain that everyone else runs. I have a highly customized captain model that I basically hand build, which is why he gets the loadout he gets. Once I finish him up, I will post some pics and I think it will help justify the decision.

Thanks for your input though! As I build the list out, I will for sure ask more question. Just won a Libby Dread on eBay today, that seems like a consensus slam dunk for BA.

Edited by Matarno - Lord of Skyfall, 26 April 2019 - 07:23 PM.

• t-dog1996 likes this

So fear not and be proud, for we are the sons of Sanguinius, the protectors of Mankind. Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.

t-dog1996

t-dog1996

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 242 posts
Hey, rule of cool is the most important rule, and in any case the options you’ve chosen are still good. This list should serve you well against Space wolves and Chaos Marines. Be sure to post an update once you’ve had a few games with it. Once you’ve broken it in do you have any ideas for expansion?
  • Matarno - Lord of Skyfall likes this

"They are the sons of the Angel, the blooded host, the defenders of Humanity. They are strength. They are nobility. They are the Blood Angels, and I say to you there are no more loyal or determined servants of the Emperor alive today."

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17 posts

Hey, rule of cool is the most important rule, and in any case the options you’ve chosen are still good. This list should serve you well against Space wolves and Chaos Marines. Be sure to post an update once you’ve had a few games with it. Once you’ve broken it in do you have any ideas for expansion?

I have been toying around on BattleScribe, and I like the idea of an armored element eventual. I dusted off my old LRC, after 15 years it needs some touch ups. At an eventual 3K list, I would add in a couple Baal Preds, couple Pred Destructors, LRC toting around Assault Terms (TH&SS) with a Chaplain & Librarian (both in TDA) to buff them. Sanguinary Guard are definitely on the list too, models are too awesome to not use.

• t-dog1996 likes this

t-dog1996

t-dog1996

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 242 posts
Sounds good, but don’t forget Death Company. They fulfil the rule of cool and are awesome on the tabletop!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users