Competitive Ultramarines staying within the Codex

Prot

I think vehicles are a reasonable concern and should be planned for. Multiple Calidus’ and tri Crusader Knights are examp,es of T8 lists that are emerging. I really think Astra parking lot is returning with the overkill of the Castellan.

Funny enough I think Guilliman is like ‘Veterans of the long war’ in the way that you can get a lot of mileage out of strength 5-6 on vehicles with him.

As far as Mort, I have worked with him in the past on lists and his angle is usually very infantry heavy and why not with an emphasis on delivering Smash Captains.

One thing we do have is Guilliman but the list has to be built around him. Is he still better than Calgar + Lt? I don’t really know. I lost touch using him in 8th.

I guess first thing I have to decide is if it’s worth pursuing a Batallion and secondly using Guilliman or not. I am leaning towards the Repulsor and Centurions but that’s only because of the success I had in the past months. It might be a bad idea in a more competitive environment.

There's also always the concern of gatekeeper types of lists. You don't really want to face Daemon Primarchs and Greater Daemons without anti-tank in your list. Well maybe Greater Daemons are still fine as they really aren't that durable.

I've been contemplating a list that has 10 Heavy Bolter Centurions alongside Guilliman. That is a spicy meatball of dice, but you might need some other stuff to soak some attention.

Tag on an Apothecary, Company Ancient, and perhaps a Librarian?

I've been contemplating a list that has 10 Heavy Bolter Centurions alongside Guilliman. That is a spicy meatball of dice, but you might need some other stuff to soak some attention.

This is something I've seen a lot of Imperial Fists players do with the Vigilus formation.

An interesting thought is to get Tiggy's warlord trait in conjunction with that kind of volume.

Yeah that would potentially leave a mark eh.

As Jol said; add the Ancient and other supporting characters and really be a thorn in the side of players.

Edited by Captain Idaho

I'm having a lot of trouble coming up with a list I like. I may just retire this idea. 

I wanted to give myself the best chance of taking on all comers in a competitive environment. I had Guilliman in the center of it. At first with a Repulsor, then pure infantry. I couldn't convince myself any of it would work so I think I'll just put it on the back burner for now. I just don't... trust it. Maybe I'm just seeing too much anti marine right now. 

You're not using Guiliman are you?

I'm so used to  -not- using him, I'm having trouble coming up with the variety (If that's the right word) that I'm used to. 

I'm clustering infantry around him, trying to protect him in the list with psychic barrier, and sling shot him into the opponent. On paper it doesn't look good, but it could be....

Calgar/LT I save 200 points (Guilliman is essentially swapped for Calgar, and the LT is in both lists.)

I may have to go back to what I was using in order to test this out in my meta. I may get hammered though. lol 

I think I have a mental block buidling a Guilliman list I like. 

I appreciate the thought. I did play the game but with Black Legion. I played against a pure Dark Eldar 3 flyers, multiravager list.

I did win somehow in the end. It was a very competitive DE list. The reason I mention this is the entire time I could not see my Guilliman list having a snowflake’s chance on Calth. It surprises me to say it, but my strong feeling is I couldn’t have got away with it.

Thus far my use of Guliman is working ok (see my list in the list thread)...seems better for me as a static gunline and using fulls sqauds of Vet Intercessors.

It's a debate for me but I think I'm about to add 2 squads of Supressors and I'll down grade it to MC instead.

I remember seeing the list... very heavy in Primaris and I think it if were me I just can't seem to play Ultra without including Tigurius. I'm glad your enjoying the list. Who have your opponents been? 

Typically I don't get to play against Marines very often unless I venture out to GW. (Local gaming clubs have no loyalist marine players). Mostly it would be younger people. So I'm typically going against Xenos

I remember seeing the list... very heavy in Primaris and I think it if were me I just can't seem to play Ultra without including Tigurius. I'm glad your enjoying the list. Who have your opponents been?

Typically I don't get to play against Marines very often unless I venture out to GW. (Local gaming clubs have no loyalist marine players). Mostly it would be younger people. So I'm typically going against Xenos.

Since the advent of 8th I was adamant against Primaris anything. My first and largest army is Iron Hands and I believe the flesh is weak, however old marines are completely unplayable now so I decided to go whole hog on Primaris and with the only Chapter/Legion that seemed worth using for it Ultramarines.

My goal and challenge is to field it as a purely Primaris force, RG is the obvious exception.

A lot of Chaos for opponents, CSM and demons...havent faced much Xenos yet.

It seems a simple list, Castle up and focus on the Mission. My area in Jacksonville FL is not ITC heavy. I certainly don't expect it to be the greatest GT list but solid, fluffy and good as a take all comers; so far it is not disappointing.

Well we don't play a heck of a lot of ITC here either. It comes up a lot near one their tournament formats, but typically it's heavily competitive even in a modified Maelstrom or whatever.

The reason I ask is I've tried a lot of foot heavy lists with infantry and I find the super cagey Xenos armies are the worst.... anything elder, Dark Eldar, Triptide Tau is horrid. Tons of jump suits.. -1 to hit, most with fly. 

These armies typically dance around me, using terrain and then hitting from ruins, fading back out of LOS.

The speed of the Ultra's is a real problem for me. 

The problem is different for Astra. It's a true 'gunline'. Very hard to outshoot that and I really believe (aside from Tau) that Astra will be prominent after the FAQ hits the Knight lists.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I was compensating with speed issues, and trying to hit stuff like mortar teams, Hive Guard, Dark Reapers, etc with deep striking Inceptors. Without vehicles I find the mileage out of Helblasters is very limited.

This may push me back to a dual Repulsor list or Repulsor / Landraider list (for a squad of Centurions.)

I'm still working on a new version for current 40K here, but I guess I really have to push myself to see if Guilliman is worth it. 

I'm still working on a new version for current 40K here, but I guess I really have to push myself to see if Guilliman is worth it.

Well I've also been experimenting with MC and friends as a point saver and to squeeze more fun into the list. I've list-hammered an MC Battalion of Primaris with a Vanguard of Sterngard and a Lieutenant which at 2k kicked me around 118 PL vs a 105 with G-man. G is a force multiplier but not the be all end all if you play static.

Hey Prot I’m in the process of building the Gman for an apocalypse game this weekend.

That’s cool. I’ve done a few coats of different blues on mine but I don’t have him completely assembled. I haven’t played him since I sold my first one.

I chickened out on my UMs in my last game but have another game scheduled tomorrow. Still trying to decide if I can use Guilliman while protecting some characters with a Repulsor or try pure infantry and hope I don’t play GSC.

I've put together a list that consists of a Primaris Captain and Lieutenant, 25 Intercessors, and 5 Repulsors.

Haven't played it because I don't own 5 Repulsors, but I feel it's a pretty solid list.

Depending on how the pricing for the new Repulsor variants goes, it may very well be quite solid.