Competitive Ultramarines staying within the Codex

Prot

I've put together a list that consists of a Primaris Captain and Lieutenant, 25 Intercessors, and 5 Repulsors.

Haven't played it because I don't own 5 Repulsors, but I feel it's a pretty solid list.

Definitely not a bad list. Neonmole over on the BA forum regularly uses a list with 3 Repulsors and 2 Redemptors competetively to great effect. Full Onslaught build for Redemptors and Full Onslaught + Twin-Las for the Repulsors for the record. Of course Smash Captain is always there too because why else would you play Blood Angels competetively. :sweat:

That being said there are lists which don't have much of a problem dealing with so much armour. The Crimson Fist dakka Centurion spam list for example shredded two Repulsors turn 1 easily thanks to Mortal wounds (the match was streamed live on Twitch ... it was a short but painful watch).

For your interest, one of the guys at CanHammer Team Tournament played a list with 5 Repulsors. I did not attend so I can't access the lists yet but it seems his list includes RG also. I'm guessing it must not have a lot of footslogging models!

I bet it could work, especially post FAQ.

I played my list which I never liked for a single second... and got nearly tabled in T2. There just isn't a list I really like with Guilliman. 

I fought against a well rounded Necron army that just had my number. I too so many casualties in T1 I never had a chance. I lost nearly all Intercessors, and the Repulsor was down to 2 wounds. The army was so resilient I couldn't hit it hard enough and it felt like he got about.... I'm going to guess 200 points back?  

The only thing that truly worked was Guilliman. But even he got stuck in and never came out. Even my standard Inceptors did squat all... but that was definitely bad luck. Still over all it was a minor disaster. 

Prot, what Necrons were you playing that could come anywhere close to being resilient? If it's anything other than all wraiths, I'll be quite shocked.

I know you play Necrons, but I've been helping this guy build his list for about 6 months literally.

What I was steering him towards was (almost) pure infantry with a few hearty characters. There's a lot to shoot at in it, a lot of negative AP, a lot of invulns. 

• 1 month later...

Well to update my own experiences....

After attending a 6 round ITC event with a funner Black Legion army I felt compelled to try a different Ultramarines list.

Up front I will say I refused to go back to Centurions fir a hand full of games and I tried a trio of thunder fire cannons. While they did do a great job of dicing up a fair chunk of Boyz ( Orks) I really got hammered.

I did take pictures of the game so I’ll go in more detail later but I got just trashed in turn 1 losing a Repulsor and having a Redemptor down to 2 wounds before I got a turn.

I went against the Ork dual Morkanaught/ Dorkanaught walkers ( or whatever they’re called). They just beat the crap out of me in turn 1 and I knew I lost right there. But in my defence I almost tabled him with what I had left.

At the end of it though I seem to have the one true list that works and very little else. I am almost ready to consider the 3-5 Repulsor and Guilliman list but it sure looks boring to play on paper at least.

so in straying away from Centurions I had a massively close game that I was nearly tabled in.... insane destruction and yes Calgar had to go toe to toe vs. a Morkanought?

calgar-punchout.jpg?w=860&h=280&crop=1

I did a batrep up on the blog but the short version is the Redemptors were bad, the single repulsor was a bad idea, and the Thunderfire Cannons didn't pull their weight. That said I got within a (maelstrom) point of tieing the game and we almost ended it in Turn 2! Yea, it sounds as crazy as it was.

Batrep : LINK

So I'm at a point where I'm thinking of putting Guilliman in the list with 2 Repulsors, and a various crew of Helblasters and Aggressors. 

Basically I'm trying to avoid my Centurion list but I may just be stuck with it in the end.

Why don’t you want to use Cents ?

Because I went on a ridiculous winning streak with them. Locals just assumed a loss and didn’t really want to play the list. For that reason and variety I though I’d try to shake it up.

Nice of you to play and not be "that guy".

Why don’t you want to use Cents ?

Because I went on a ridiculous winning streak with them. Locals just assumed a loss and didn’t really want to play the list. For that reason and variety I though I’d try to shake it up.

Nice of you to play and not be "that guy".

Haha I wish I could convince my mates to stop bringing Knights, etc.

Here’s my current 2k list:

Roboute Guilliman /Warlord

Varro Tigirius

Techmarine - Chainsword/Teeth of Terra - Combi-Plasma

5x Intercessor - Grenade Launcher/Power Sword

5x Intercessor - Grenade Launcher/Power Fist

5x Infiltrator

Vitrix Guard

Primaris Ancient - Relic Standard

3x Centurion Devastator - Lascannons - Hurricane Bolters

6x Hellblaster

5x Inceptor - Plasma

Vindicare Assassin

Edited by Black Blow Fly

That's a good solid list.

I had built one for tonight. Another competitive style list but it looks so darn boring. 

I started configuring lists to shift into the parking lot meta we seem to be seeing now. So the new Repulsor + the old Repulsor x 3-4 plus Guilliman or even just Calgar and LT.  Boring as well though. 

Think I might hop back into a different army for a while until I can get my mojo back. 

I'm mulling over just how to build competitive but interesting lists and it's hard to get approaching top tier without making seriously boring lists.

Leviathan lists with loads of Dreads speaks to me just for funsies.