Competitive Ultramarines staying within the Codex

Prot

• 4 weeks later...

Okay so kind of a 'trick' post here since this is technically not within the codex, but I'm thinking of trying a few of the new Repulsor Executioner with Guilliman. Has anyone tried this?

I haven't bought any yet, but am thinking of 1 and repulsors or 2 and one repulsor or just 2 of the Executioner (1 with each weapon).

Main concerns:

Tau : How do I get rid of 30-40 drones first without indirect? Do I just run at them?

Orks: 200 models flooding me. Not sure I have a big enough foot print to push back the tide AND fire at Lootas, etc.

I always stick to balanced lists, but lately with Chaos I've been seeing a huge advantage to simply repeating a few killer units. I'm just not sure the Destroyer Repulsor is good enough in that point area of 300~. On the plus side it's tough, but light on wounds compared to Knight,

Edited by Prot

I'm building one, literally while I type this. I want to run the Heavy Destroyer version with the Twin Las + HOC Repulsor.

I fight Orks a lot, and I get swamped all the time. The HOC on both will hopefully help thin the mob.

I'm going to run two HOC Redemptor Dreds as well.

So 4 HOC will do some work.

Hit the table let us know how it goes.

2 Destroyer Repulsors because if you have one it'll get shut down easily.

Personally, for the points of a Exterminator Repulsor, you can get a Leviathan which will do much better against most enemies.

2 Repulsor equivalents and a Leviathan should be enough T8 to cause some problems and firepower to hurt even 200 Orks.

On the subject of 200 Orks, I think Centurions will help in that regard. The range to shoot Orks on the way in helps more than Aggressors and their 18" range.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Double grav flux bombard on the leviathan is awesome against orks. Combined with Guilliman it will delete a unit of boys of whatever size per turn. The grav flux scales beautifully against mobs and hurts knights as well. The only downside is managing movement to get the weapons within range without being charged first.

I see a role for my yet to build infiltrator squads to screen from da jump, against knights i find it hard to get himin range without being shot of the board or being charged. So far I keep him out of LOS and move him in, either directly in range or as bait and popping smoke and master of prescience him with Tigurius for -2 to hit and put might of heroes on him for that sweet T9.

I feel like we need a complete codex rewrite really badly. 

The Leviathan has been a staple in the most competitive marine armies (that includes Chaos) for a looong time. 

The thing about the Centurions... which I've been using quite a bit since the last CA, is I don't leave them out anymore. They get a Landraider or I don't play them. In a lot of games I find it's okay to start them on the table but that match up where you don't go first against Knights or Tau or Astra or Flydar... they are usually gone and it's too hard to come back from.

I was just trying (again) to stay in the codex as the title suggests. I thought maybe the new Repulsor would be a tipping point and worth getting feedback on. Also when it comes to a Leviathan I have to confess I reserve that type of unit for my Deathwatch because they have no real inherent unit like that... for that role. 

Thanks for chiming in though. I appreciate the thoughts and feedback.  

I still like the look of Guilliman and quad HoG's on the battlefield though! :tu:

Guilliman makes the whole thing work or else it would probably be considerably less potent. It's all the weapons (desperately needed) but Guilliman lets you take on the S5 (and worse) stuff and keeps it somewhat relevant with the to-wound re roll.

Because he's in the list it's allowed me to use cheap-ish Redemptors with yet another pair of HoG's.  (I still think the Redemptor is a horrible dreadnaught). Even with Guilliman the Redemptor moving, and shooting at a flyer is hitting on... 5's, until it's damaged! That's horrible for ~160 pts.

Guilliman allows the terrible Redemptors to reroll 1, and 2, while it moves to keep his flanks free of sniper type units.  So even Guilliman is not entirely able to make up for the mediocrity of the unit, but without him re rolling 1's and 2's to hit and the to wounds, I wouldn't touch the Redemptors. But in this list no one shoots at them once they see their output compared to the Destroyer Repulsors.

So far it had thrown opponents off. I haven't lost with it yet, but I know in part that's due to luck. 

Like you, I dropped the Redemptor's from my current list. I own 2, built as twin HOG's. The move and fire problem, combined with a huge target silhouette, multiplied by degrading profiles make them terribad.

Love the model, don't use it in games.

Edited by mel_danes

Agreed. I keep wondering if the sneak preview of that light shoulder padded Dread is a Phobos Dread that is a muncher smarter design. I think I’d be pretty peeved if the new Redemptors I have are already relegated to the bin as a result, but I don’t want to jump the gun.

But so far there’s really no reason to take a Redemptor over a Forge Dread if nearly any type.

Guilliman makes the whole thing work or else it would probably be considerably less potent. It's all the weapons (desperately needed) but Guilliman lets you take on the S5 (and worse) stuff and keeps it somewhat relevant with the to-wound re roll.

Because he's in the list it's allowed me to use cheap-ish Redemptors with yet another pair of HoG's.  (I still think the Redemptor is a horrible dreadnaught). Even with Guilliman the Redemptor moving, and shooting at a flyer is hitting on... 5's, until it's damaged! That's horrible for ~160 pts.

Guilliman allows the terrible Redemptors to reroll 1, and 2, while it moves to keep his flanks free of sniper type units.  So even Guilliman is not entirely able to make up for the mediocrity of the unit, but without him re rolling 1's and 2's to hit and the to wounds, I wouldn't touch the Redemptors. But in this list no one shoots at them once they see their output compared to the Destroyer Repulsors.

So far it had thrown opponents off. I haven't lost with it yet, but I know in part that's due to luck. 

I figured it was the entire load out of guns that made it work, its a shame though. I wish there was a solution for Guilliman without making him useless.

So I just watched a game at Slaughterfest this weekend... it was a -very- new player using Tau (his first tournament) vs. an Ultramarine's multi Repulsor list. I didn't catch the whole game but there was no Guilliman. It was an LT and Calgar and I think (don't quote me on this) but it looked like 4 Repulsors.

The Tau won, and if you've played against competitive Tau it was a fairly standard Tau type of gunline with drones. While the Ultra player could move forward more aggressively, in the end the Tau had the fire power necessary to win. 

I would think in this match up that it's very possible that Guilliman would make the list worse. That's why I don't like taking him (at least part of the reason). I think his survivability AND his close combat prowess is something you pay a fair chunk for and in that type of game you're not likely to get to use it.

The problem (as always) I think with the new stuff and the competitive angle is going to be keeping it character light. It's so easy in marine (elite) armies to overdo the characters and then suffer in those games where you just don't have enough of a foot print on the table. New characters are great, but if they can't actually replace my existing ones, I won't be using them.