Currently, Fall Back is amazing. If you have a unit in melee, you can order it to Fall Back in your Movement phase. The result is that:
- Your unit can avoid being attacked in the Fight phase, thereby cutting in half the damage a powerful melee enemy can inflict.
- Your unit can reposition to cover or safety, and the enemy will need to charge again next turn, eating more Overwatch.
- The rest of your army can shoot at the enemy unit you Fell Back from, thereby allowing you to eliminate a potential threat left stranded in the open.
- In exchange, your unit can't shoot (which they couldn't do anyway) and can't charge (which you obviously didn't want to do, or why would you have them Fall Back?).
- Unless, of course, they can FLY, or are one of the many units (including entire Factions) capable of shooting when they Fall Back anyway, in which case the lack of downside just became another plus.
This version moves Fall Back to the Charge phase - and therefore, after the Shooting phase. It also adds a melee equivalent of Overwatch, called Overrun, performed against units that Fall Back rather than those which Charge. Under this model, the result of Falling Back is that:
- Your unit will take a much smaller amount of damage than it normally would in the Fight phase, thereby reducing the damage a powerful melee enemy can inflict.
- Your unit can reposition to cover or safety, and the enemy will need to charge again next turn, eating more Overwatch as a result.
- That's it.
If Fall Back moves to after the Shooting phase, there's no cartoonish moment where the dust clears and the Khorne Berzerkers blink in confusion to find the lone surviving Guardsman sprinting off into the distance and every other gun in the regiment trained on them. Melee remains a safe haven against non-Overwatch shooting, and Falling Back becomes more of a gamble, because it doesn't completely eliminate casualties from melee. This does make abilities that allow Fall Back-and-Shoot more powerful, by comparison - but in most cases they can be changed into "Fall Back in the Movement/Shooting phase" so that everyone else can shoot. Like they used to be able to.
Edited by Revlid, 29 April 2019 - 06:07 PM.