Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My 1k TS/Daemon Starting List

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

SwashBuccaneer

SwashBuccaneer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 183 posts
  • Faction: Deathwatch
Idea being I start at 1k since some friends at the local club said they will play learning games with me and let me build up the force and step up with me etc.

How did I do putting this together?

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [48 PL, 8CP, 826pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ +

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch [9 PL, 166pts]

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch [9 PL, 180pts]: 5. Otherworldly Prescience, Helm of the Third Eye, Malefic talon, Warlord, Wings

+ Troops +

Rubric Marines [7 PL, 99pts]
. Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Warpflame Pistol
. 4x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 4x Inferno boltgun

Rubric Marines [7 PL, 99pts]
. Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Warpflame Pistol

Tzaangors [7 PL, 150pts]: Brayhorn, 19x Tzaangor w/ Tzaangor Blades
. Twistbray: Tzaangor blades

+ Heavy Support +

Maulerfiend [9 PL, 132pts]: Lasher tendrils

++ Patrol Detachment (Chaos - Daemons) [9 PL, 170pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Chaos Allegiance: Tzeentch

+ HQ +

The Changeling [5 PL, 100pts]

+ Troops +

Horrors [4 PL, 70pts]: 10x Pink Horror

++ Total: [57 PL, 8CP, 996pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

HighMarshalAmp

HighMarshalAmp

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 495 posts

I see a few issues.

In no particular order:

10 horrors? Those guys unfortunately only really start to make an impact at 30+, take hordes or take none, they're just easy points for your opponent otherwise.

1 Maulerfiend. Noice, but how are you planning on getting him into action range? He will most likely get focussed down and taken out early on if you just walk him.

Already I can see how to solve either problem: drop one, take more of the other.

10 Rubrics total? What is their job? I like to run 3x5 but they're not exactly what you'd call the MVPs. For CP, invest in more Tzaangors.

So you need to decide where to go with this, horde or heavy. Right now, you have little to draw fire from your Prince. I'd favor large Tzaangor Squads and 2 Maulerfiends over Horrors and Rubrics.

Rubrics take the problems Space Marines have to the extreme: Mobility issues, high price, guns that only do something when you're at the enemies' doors.

However, as someone who set out to build a PA army, I can speak to the shortcomings of Rubrics and SOTs more than to the benefits of Daemon Engines and Daemons of which I'm not as fond of. I only know how little or how much of a pain they are to face.

Finally, I'd like to once again advocate my rule of 2: If you take something valuable, take the same again. 1 Tzaangor Blob will get wiped, 1 Maulerfiend will get wiped by different guns, neither will have accomplished much.

Edited by HighMarshalAmp, 05 May 2019 - 02:51 PM.

ETL_Medal_01.gifETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_04.gif

SwashBuccaneer

SwashBuccaneer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 183 posts
Good points for sure. I was thinking with a DP coming at them as well as 20 Tzaangors and a maulerfiend that it would provide some threat saturation. I did not think about different types of arms fire going into the different targets and neutralizing both.

If I drop the Daemons I can pick up a Vortex Beast and 7 or so more tzaangors. How do you think that would work running in tandem with the maulerfiend? That would also let me try out both units and see if I like one over the other and if I want to add more to my 2k list.

I could also keep it at 20 tzaangors and drop the daemons and slot in another Daemon Prince if that might work better.

Like I said wanting to get a nice core at 1k to expand on and play something different than my deathwatch for a bit.

I know rubrics aren't super competitive but I want some in my list cause I don't wanna play an AoS army in 40k. :P

HighMarshalAmp

HighMarshalAmp

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 495 posts

Oh, do reconsider, having an army that's valid in both AoS and 40k saves you tons of money!

As for the Vortex Beast and the additional Goatmen, yeah, that'd be a good move. A second DP however would be far more daunting prospect for your opponent and you mustn't underestimate the psycological effects units can have. Go for whatever you like the look of better.

But... Let me suggest something entirely different. I'd actually try and keep it simple here considering you're still getting the hang of it.

First, let's factor in your must-haves and the Goatmen that any sane 1k Sons player fields loads of (I don't, what does that tell you about me?).

What'cha think about this:

Tzaangors [7 PL, 127pts]: Brayhorn, Icon of Flame, 15x Tzaangor w/ Tzaangor Blades

Tzaangors [7 PL, 127pts]: Brayhorn, Icon of Flame, 15x Tzaangor w/ Tzaangor Blades

Rubric Marines [7 PL, 101pts]: Icon of Flame
. Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol

Rubric Marines [7 PL, 101pts]: Icon of Flame
. Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch [9 PL, 166pts]

Sorcerer [6 PL, 109pts]: Combi-Plasma, Force Stave

You'll note the curious absence of the Daemon Prince. Simply because as far as quick, multi wound melee models go, there's the Maulerfiends. I chose them over Mutaliths because the latter are a science of their own.

Webway your Goatmen in, try to get Ahriman to the front asap.

The Rubrics stay in cover scoring in your deployment zone and denying DS close to your table edge while smiting away at anything in range (might take a turn or two for something to get in range) just like the Sorcerer who's there to boost them. Granted, he's the cheap HQ that I managed to fit in there, but he's a mainstay next to my Rubrics and one of your very few sources of Plasma weaponry.

You could drop Icons of Flame to exalt him, but at 5pts a piece, you really shouldn't underestimate how they can dish out mortal wounds in 1 of 6 cases.

Needless to say your Goatmen are your best source of early game punishment. Walk your Maulerfiends up and try to tie up units than can get dangerous for them with the Goatmen. If you're facing hordes, you'll be surprised how quickly Rubrics can melt those unless the hordes use any shenanigans that let them move twice.

Board control isn't the strong suit here, but you have the tools to go after Characters and hunt down units you don't like the look of.

I'm not saying this is the list that'll make you win, I'm just saying that it's easy to keep track of (something I value in my own lists just as much) and that it can take on many other lists adequately.

Edited by HighMarshalAmp, 06 May 2019 - 10:48 PM.

• SwashBuccaneer likes this

ETL_Medal_01.gifETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_04.gif

SwashBuccaneer

SwashBuccaneer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 183 posts
That's a really cool list and something I think I would enjoy playing and expanding. I hope to run a Lord of Change and some daemons at 2k as well or mix them in and out to keep things fresh.

I love the SoT models but every time I try to fit them in their point costs just strangle everything else too much and I take em out. I like the Tzaangors and I was wanting to make a Tzeentch AoS army last year before 2e came out but I like the sons too much to run a Tzaangor army here in 40k. :D

Edited by SwashBuccaneer, 07 May 2019 - 03:17 AM.

HighMarshalAmp

HighMarshalAmp

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 495 posts

Yeah, the Scarabs really push it. My 1k list is just:

Exalted Sorcerer (Staff, Inferno Bolt Pistol)

Sorcerer (Staff, Inferno Bolt Pistol)

3x 5 Rubrics (Staff, Inferno Bolt Pistol, 4x Inferno Boltgun)

2x 5 SOTs (Force Stave, 4x Inferno Combi-Bolter, Soulreaper Cannon, Hellfyre Missile Rack)

And those 10 Termies clock in at 422pts.

They really are a chore to shift though, so once they're DSed in, they're there to stay for a good while.

Not exactly screaming board control either, but with each SOT squad putting out between 14 and 22 shots with an AP of at least -2 hitting at 3+, there aren't many who manage to control the board against them either.

• SwashBuccaneer likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users