Cultist counts-as/conversions thread

As some of you may know, I've got some normal (as in, actually Cultist) Chaos Cultist models, that standard 20-model lot which I'm sure a lot of you know about. However, I've been looking around and... well, there's a lot of ways to run them. Blackstone Fortress Traitor Guard, practically any Necromunda models, and any conversion you can think of. What're some cool Cultists you've done in the past?

I made some cultists by kitbashing Catachans and Ungors. I got 20 of them out of the two boxes, though I did have to buy some round bases because I did it right before the Ungors got the repack with round bases. If I had to do it again, I'd probably use Gors instead of Ungors because I've been told that they are slightly more proportional to Catachans than Ungors.

I basically just keep buying stuff to kitbash, have most of the Necromunda gangs, a box of GSC neophytes, did a bunch of poxwalkers mixed with the starter aos khorne dudes. I think my favorite are cawdor with admech hoods, they match the old cultist style really well.

Like many of you, my Renegades and Heretics Cultists (as well as Militia, Mutant Rabble, Disciples, etc.) come from a variety of sources.

Here is a list (with images) of sources for my Nostroman 9th Mercenary Company, "Hell's Horde"

Necromunda Eschers and plastic Imperial Guard Catachans

gallery_88062_14499_60983.jpg

A Disciple (bottom right) watches as Renegade Commander Madame Voodoo shoots her plasma pistol at a Deathwatch flyer, destroying the Imperium vehicle!

Various and Sundry Dungeons and Dragons figures

gallery_88062_14499_79704.jpg
Cultist Champion Lobo, the rest of his unit, 2nd Squad, having been slain, takes aim at a Tau Fire Warrior

Fantasy Gors

gallery_88062_14499_95502.jpg

Trooper Marox, Mutant Rabble trooper with shotgun and ample supply of ammo

Forgeworld Chaos Militia

gallery_88062_14499_138758.jpg

Enforcer Garok duels a Termagant near an objective

Metal IG Tallarn and Catachans

gallery_88062_14499_59611.jpg

Members of the Renegade and Heretics Earthshaker Battery, Blood Debt, during a fire mission on Garos VII

Orks

gallery_88062_14499_220408.jpg

Enforcer Greenklaw, fresh from the paint table

Mordheim Chaos Cultists

gallery_88062_14499_71287.jpg

Members of 3rd Militia Squad move forward during a skrimish with Tyranids

CSM Cultists, Fantasy Zombies, Plastic IG Cadians, and Fantasy Dark Elf Warriors

gallery_88062_14499_205802.jpg

3rd Militia Squad Gets Eaten by a Bug

Tau Tank Crew and Metal IG Cadians

gallery_88062_14499_161714.jpg

EarthShaker crew assaulted by a squat genestealer cultist and his friends

Privateer Press War Machine

gallery_88062_14499_32374.jpg

Renegade Commander Dnegrah finishes off an Eldar Wave Serpent with her power fist. She is the leader of the Nostroman 9th.

Wargames Factory greatcoat infantry

gallery_88062_14499_36007.jpg

WIP shot of a member of 5th Militia Squad

Genestealer Cult Acolytes

gallery_88062_14499_41683.jpg

Nunchaku Ned moves up along with 3rd Cultist Squad

And, finally, a metal IG Vostroyan trooper

gallery_88062_14499_38809.jpg

Renegade Commander Vicious Pete surveys the battlefield during a fight against the Death Guard. He would be the only survivor of the battle.

Edited by Tallarn Commander

• 2 weeks later...

These guys are posted in my wip, but few of the old metal cultists + redemptionists or 2.

med_gallery_17264_9987_658561.jpg

Some Old Necromunda redemptionists and WFB Empire models

med_gallery_17264_9987_55302.jpg

Old metal Cawdors

med_gallery_17264_9987_234812.jpg

They all seem to fit well with the Cultist aesthetic.

med_gallery_17264_9987_63606.jpg

Edited by Kevlarshark

• 3 weeks later...

I'm excited at the prospect of kitbashing some cultists out of the new crow-themed Warcry AoS warband.

Aye, they look awesome for that (and on their own too).

The whole Warcry range so far is just screaming to get used in 40K and Necromunda alike...

Happyslugger,

3 of my Renegades and Heretics troopers are made from scions or scion bits.

I have a plasma trooper who you can see off to the left of this image.

gallery_88062_14499_71916.jpg

The image is from my 6 March 2017 Chaos blog here on B&S, its the 15th image in the post:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/321042-tallarn-commanders-chaos-game-summary-and-using-oil-paint/?do=findComment&comment=4674317

And I have a trooper who uses a scion head in this image from 8 March 2017

gallery_88062_14499_140806.jpg

Here is a link to the original post:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/321042-tallarn-commanders-chaos-game-summary-and-using-oil-paint/page-2?do=findComment&comment=4676728

And my third trooper, Tiger, also uses a scion head

gallery_88062_14499_146821.jpg

Here is a link to the original 28 February 2018 post

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/321042-tallarn-commanders-chaos-game-summary-and-using-oil-paint/page-3?do=findComment&comment=5021509

Enjoy the pics!

• 2 weeks later...

I posted mine over in my thread, but I'll share them up here too.

PamKmYk.jpg

To kick it all off, 1/3rd of one of my Traitor Guard/Cultist squads. I wanted these dudes to stick to the "former IG" aesthetic as much as possible whilst making it clear that they aren't loyalists anymore. To this end I used the GSC Brood Brothers as the base (or the Cadian Shock Troops, I forget which) with some heads from the GSC Upgrade Frame, a Flagellant head, an Orlock head and some arms from the Skitarii Rangers.

I took stock of some spare Space Marine melta bombs that I had lying around and I've been using those to represent gas canisters. Although, the thought of doing a suicidal cultist all strapped up with melta bombs and krak grenades for dealing with enemy armour is enticing now...

dGl9hBi.jpg

An Icon Bearer and two generic Cultists. I wanted to break up the squads a bit, so they weren't just stacked with autoguns and heavy stubbers. The Vox Caster and the Medic seemed like practical additions to the squads as well; I imagine that even the Traitor Guard recognise the need for a well-trained surgeon from time to time, and I like to think that it's a bit of a holdover from their days as loyalists. I used a mixture of bits from the Cadian and Catachan command squads, as well as the icon from a Chaos Chariot. I threw in some leftovers from the GSC Upgrade Frame for good measure as well.

5Q7gIqy.jpg

Last but not least; a Slaaneshi Enforcer that I started way, way back in 2017 and never got around to doing anything with. Now that I'm actually working on my Traitor Guard/Cultists a bit more I feel like it's time to finish this dude off. He was converted up using bits from the Hellstriders of Slaanesh kit and some Neophyte Hybrids.

I'll post some more up a little later this week when I'm ready to show off the rest. I've got some greenstuff/plasticard work to do in the meantime!

And we're back with another few Traitor Guardsmen to add to the army!

1eaaGDd.jpg

Just a few simple mixes again; Cadian Shock Troopers bits, a pair of Flagellant arms, an obligatory Orlock head, Marauder shoulders and the spike off of a helmet, some Space Marine melta bombs and a Bretonnian head. I really like the central dude (he screams badass to me - plus he reminds me of the Dark Vengeance cultists/Blackstone Fortress Traitor Guard) and Heavy Stubber bro (who was actually the first Traitor Guard I put together for this project).

And finally...

Eyzg8xf.jpg

... a burgeoning Nurgle Cultist, converted out of a Rotter from Blood Bowl, a Plaguebearer knife and an Orlock revolver. I'm hoping to do some greenstuff work on this dude (sort of shawl/hood thing around his upper body?) to really drive home the cultist aesthetic. He's more of a one off for now, although I suppose I do need a new Kill Team... :whistling:

... then again, I did want to look at doing Khorne or Slaanesh for that.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, those are nice models! Since I already have enough Enforcers I could tack on some pistols or holsters and they would fit right in with my Renegades as Marauders.

And one of my Ogryn Houndmasters would definitely steal that one dude's chain whip thingy and use it as a goad for his hounds.

Once again, Warcry provides characterful models that provide conversion fodder for 40K.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/14/new-models-revealed-at-the-atcgw-homepage-post-1/

My thoughts were that this latest batch, given their head dresses, might serve well  as cultists/renegades in an army associated with the thousand sons army.

Once again, Warcry provides characterful models that provide conversion fodder for 40K.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/14/new-models-revealed-at-the-atcgw-homepage-post-1/

My thoughts were that this latest batch, given their head dresses, might serve well  as cultists/renegades in an army associated with the thousand sons army.

Spire Guard, you mean?

• 4 weeks later...

Someone asked me to post these a while back, but I kept forgetting to take pictures of them. :sweat:

Cultists 1

Cultists 2

Cultists 3

Turns out, Ungors and Catachans fit together fairly well, with just some minor filing to get a few bits to fit to the other kit's bodies. The tails and "claws" were my attempts at making some minor modifications with milliput. Sculpting with it was harder than I thought it would be, so I'm going to eventually get some greenstuff to use instead.

Edited by celebrandas