Spindly models and air travel

dbecer01

I have all of my magnetized Tzaangors (and will soon build up my Tzeentch Daemons) in 2 metallic baking pans, which are in turn in a big tub of plastic. As I was pulling this plastic box out of my car, I dropped it sideways on the ground. This left me with about an hour and a half of plastic gluing.

My questions is, what kind of carrying case would you use for these spindly models? They don't fit well in my battlefoam, and the swords, horns, face pieces, staves tend to break as they have pressure against the foam. So, definitely, neither of these would survive air travel. What would you guys recommend?

KR multicase make some foam trays with larger cells for holding awkwardly shaped models. I used these for my Sanguinary Guard whose winged jump packs and long swords look great but make them a pain in the neck to transport.

And you don't have any issues with them breaking?

I'd use foam trays & a hard shell (plastic or even metal) for air travel. Luggage is going to get bumped around even when carefully handled, so the material used for storage needs to be able to absorb hits. And the hard case to protect the foam & minis from being crushed by other luggage.

Most foam tray makers have stuff called 'pluck' or 'raster' foam - basically, a foam tray with a pre-cut raster of foam sticks which can be removed individually. They can be used to create custom layouts for bigger models and for models with uncommon shapes (e.g. the ones which won't fit into any standard trays). A nice side effect is that any (set of) foam stick(s) removed to make a hole is left over and can be cut to length and used for additional padding under/on top of the model.

As for models not fitting into standard trays: If there is a protruding item like a sword, I tend to cut a small piece out of the foam wall between two holes so the protruding bit can fit into the neighboring hole. This may not be possible with stuff like horns though.

I would also suggest adding a sticker with your name & address on the inside (just in case - never know what happens).

And a strong lock (do note that regulations for air travel vary by country and you may will most likely be requested by customs to open your miniature transport).

KR multicase make some foam trays with larger cells for holding awkwardly shaped models. I used these for my Sanguinary Guard whose winged jump packs and long swords look great but make them a pain in the neck to transport.

And you don't have any issues with them breaking?

No so far but I will add the caveat that I have only used them for ground travel. Air travel is always risky as you are trusting someone else not to throw your case around like a basketball. What I will say is that the larger-celled foam trays are the best solution I have found so far for awkward models and seem to meet my current needs.

• 4 weeks later...

Air travel is always risky as you are trusting someone else not to throw your case around like a basketball.

Reminds me of my last flight. I was boarded and looking out the window as luggage was unloaded from the neighboring flight. Bags and suitcases were tossed out onto a downward sloping conveyor belt, but after a while a suitcase got stuck and the following luggage piled up on it and dropped of the conveyor belt, leading to a 2 m drop (so ~7 feet) for said luggage.

Sure, that's not supposed to happen, but it might be a good idea to have your minis as cabin luggage (if possible) and the rest as regular luggage.

I have been thinking about this since I may end up moving abroad in the next year, I wondered if the extra expense to send via mail could be ultimately worth it, as you would hope that a package covered in fragile tape would get handled with a lot more care then your luggage as a passenger does.