Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Smash Squad

Blood Angels Smash Captain

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 707 posts

Hoo, boy, Smash Captains are scary. So I decided to make a small list which contains everything I felt I could afford to pump into it. Fire support's lacking, but who needs fire support when you have a squad of units which can auto-delete pretty much any unit on the battlefield?

BLOOD ANGELS 1000 pts. category (901 pts, 45 PL, 4 CP)

BLOOD ANGELS Supreme Command Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ Options

Captain w/Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack: 124 pts, 6 PL, -1 CP (for Death Visions of Sanguinius) (Warlord w/Artisan of War for +1 D on Thunder Hammer)

Chaplain w/Hand Flamer, Crozius Arcanum, Jump Pack: 91 pts, 6 PL

Librarian w/Force Axe, Hand Flamer, Jump Pack, Quickening, Unleash Rage: 123 pts, 7 PL

Lieutenant w/Thunder Hammer, Hand Flamer, Jump Pack: 100 pts, 5 PL

Sanguinary Priest w/Thunder Hammer, Hand Flamer, Jump Pack: 108 pts, 5 PL

Elites Options

Vanguard Veteran Squad (16 PL, 355 pts):

Veteran Sergeant w/Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Melta Bombs, Jump Pack

Vanguard Veterans x9 w/Thunder Hammers, Storm Shields, Jump Packs

Not sure how actually scary this list would be in combat, but I'm well on my way to actually building it (I have most of the HQs already) so I'd like input on it. I figure it could auto-delete nearly anything with successful charges.

Edit: I figured I'd go over all the scary the Captain gets from this list.

From Death Visions of Sanguinius, he gets a 6+ Feel No Pain and an extra attack.

Chaplain gives the Captain the ability to reroll all failed Fight phase hit rolls, which is very scary.

Librarian casts Unleash Rage on Captain, giving him a solid boost of +1 to his Attacks characteristic, bringing him up to 6 attacks.

Being close to the Sanguinary Priest gives him a bonus to his Strength characteristic.

He gets to reroll Wound rolls of 1 when he's next to a Lieutenant.

Artisan of War gives him an extra damage on his Thunder Hammer (an already scary weapon), meaning for each hit he successfully deals, he dishes out 4 damage.

Being a Captain, he gets to reroll Hit rolls of 1, and grants this to nearby units as well.

Give him the relic Jump Pack to ignore Overwatch and reroll charges.

Note that everyone else gets almost all of this scary, minus Death Visions, Artisan of War and Unleash Rage, assuming everyone's ganging up on one target, anyway. The goal is either to have this list fight as a smaller part of a larger army and go around deleting things with all aura abilities overlapping for maximum scary (maybe after a deepstrike) while the rest of the army ties up everyone else, or to just run this list around deleting things in and of itself with no backup. 13 Thunder Hammers, a Crozius and a Force Axe, all barrelling toward you at Jump Pack speeds, is bound to make even a Knight run in fear.

This list even has fluff precedent, as the Crimson Knights Chapter Master and his personal retinue, so yay. I'm not willing to bite the bullet and spend all 3 of the rest of my CP to get him the Chapter Master ability, since there's a lot of overlap there (I don't care enough to spend 3 CP on letting the army reroll ranged 2s) but fluff-wise...

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen, 01 May 2019 - 04:47 PM.

"All power demands sacrifice and pain. The universe rewards those willing to spill their life's blood for the promise of power." - Sindri Myr

gallery_48988_15465_989.pnggallery_48988_15465_2505.pnggallery_26154_15777_6252.pnggallery_48988_15808_10055.png

"There is no meaning, no purpose. We murder, we kill. It is mindless savagery, this UNIVERSE is mindless!" - Azariah Kyras

t-dog1996

t-dog1996

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 242 posts

Firstly, even if you wanted to you couldn't make Slamguinius a Chapter Master. I'm pretty sure we don't get access to that stratagem. Exactly why is beyond me seeing how we have plenty of successors, but oh well.

As cool as this list is (and it is VERY cool don't get me wrong), I don't see it being effective in a game. Even at a thousand points, 15 models in an army is extremely small, especially when you consider that 10 of those models only have 1 wound. Storm shields will save you from lascannons and meltaguns, but not lasguns and hurricane bolters. If used as part of a larger army this could work, but on its own in a 1000 point game you'd be shot off the board.

Slamguinius doesn't need all those guys around him to be effective. I charged him today, alone, against 2 Armiger Knights, bolstered by Red Rampage and Honour the Chapter. He killed both of them no problem. Even a Knight Castellan is but a lamb to the slaughter when confronted by Slamguinius.

• Zephaniah Adriyen likes this

"They are the sons of the Angel, the blooded host, the defenders of Humanity. They are strength. They are nobility. They are the Blood Angels, and I say to you there are no more loyal or determined servants of the Emperor alive today."

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 707 posts

The point was to build a list consisting of entirely Mini-Slams and Slam-Support HQs (as well as Slam himself).

"All power demands sacrifice and pain. The universe rewards those willing to spill their life's blood for the promise of power." - Sindri Myr

gallery_48988_15465_989.pnggallery_48988_15465_2505.pnggallery_26154_15777_6252.pnggallery_48988_15808_10055.png

"There is no meaning, no purpose. We murder, we kill. It is mindless savagery, this UNIVERSE is mindless!" - Azariah Kyras

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,426 posts

The point was to build a list consisting of entirely Mini-Slams and Slam-Support HQs (as well as Slam himself).

Reasonable enough but I find Slam needs to be fed CPs to be truly effective (Red rampage, DoA and OWOF are his bread and butter).

Switching from a supreme command detachment to a Battalion with 3 MSU Scout squads would give you an extra 4CPs. Another suggestion would be to replace the Chaplain with Lemartes as he is only 9 points more but hits really hard and buffs any characters with DVOS. Of course you need points to do this which is why I would (reluctantly) drop the Lt. This gives you something like this:

BLOOD ANGELS 1000 pts. category (975 pts, 45 PL, 8 CP)

BLOOD ANGELS Battalion Detachment (+5 CP)

HQ Options

Captain w/Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack: 124 pts, 6 PL, -1 CP (for Death Visions of Sanguinius) (Warlord w/Artisan of War for +1 D on Thunder Hammer)
Lemartes: 100 pts, 6 PL
Librarian w/Force Axe, Hand Flamer, Jump Pack, Quickening, Unleash Rage: 123 pts, 7 PL
Sanguinary Priest w/Thunder Hammer, Hand Flamer, Jump Pack: 108 pts, 5 PL

Elites Options
Vanguard Veteran Squad (16 PL, 355 pts):
Veteran Sergeant w/Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Melta Bombs, Jump Pack
Vanguard Veterans x9 w/Thunder Hammers, Storm Shields, Jump Packs

Troops Options
Scout squad: 55 Points

I realise that it is a divergence from your concept but the extra CPs allow you to pump Smash up higher for longer and that is often crucial.

You also have 25 points left over if you wish to sprinkle a few upgrades around.
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 707 posts

I like it. Actually had the idea to run a larger list with a couple detachments full of decent HQs and minimum-strength Scout Squads to farm CPs.

• Karhedron likes this

shanewatts

shanewatts

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 444 posts

One other point I'd like to note, the chaplain rerolls doesn't benefit a captain at all simply because he already hits on 2s and rerolls 1s (and because of the rerolls before modifier interaction, the chaplain wouldn't allow him to reroll 2s for the hammer because they are hits when the reroll would occur and miss afterwards from the modifier.)

I also agree that you would be better off having more CP to feed the slam cap over support characters as well. Rerolling 1s to wound from the LT should only work out to 1-2 rerolls (which you could do with a CP if needed,) also this prevents failed charges from these support characters stopping their effectiveness.

Thematically the support characters look cool, but I think you will get more mileage from extra CP instead.

Sidenote: The libby or a libby dread is still a good addition simply because he can be a mini slam cap himself as well.

gallery_62972_14467_5253.jpg

Zephaniah Adriyen

Zephaniah Adriyen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 707 posts

I was thinking, and I figure I could run detachments of just Dreadnoughts if I wanted. Variants for every occasion, etc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blood Angels, Smash Captain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users