BCK's Necromunda Thread of Stuff

I was gifted an Orlock gang box today so maybe that converted figure could be an Orlock leader. And speaking of Orlocks, any tips for them? :biggrin.:

Now we're talkin' about a real gang. :wink:

Half asleep at the moment, so i'll stick to bullet points...

• Orlock are best all-rounder gang out there at the moment - they don't have any brilliant strengths, (increased starting stats or cheap equipment) or debilitating weaknesses. (overpriced dudes, weak stats, limited start-up weapons) They're basically middle of the road on everything.
  • Unlike the Goliath or Delaque boxes that are a bit rubbish in terms of loadout, the Orlock box set has most of the weapons you want and need straight up.
  • The most 'Orlock' of weapons - The Harpoon Launcher, Demo Charge and Servo Fist - aren't the best option for your gang. The advantages of the Harpoon Launcher (Impale and Drag) are highly situational, the stats are nice but the range is way too short and credits-wise it's competing with the Heavy Stubber, with is far easier to just spray and pray with. The Demo Charge is lethal, (5" Blast!) but it's expensive as all get up and range is Sx2 -that's 6" - best saved for later on in a campaign when your dudes are stronger. The Servo Fist isn't bad per se - it's value for money with good stats - the problem arises because it makes you think you can rumble in melee - which is not where you really want to be.
  • The best Orlock weapons are the basic ones with Rapid Fire dice - Autopistols, Autoguns, Heavy Stubbers - that's a hail of firepower at short, mid and long range respectively. Add-in the more expensive options later - Boltguns, Heavy Bolters and even Combat Shotguns and Orlocks own the short to mid range firepower game because...
  • ...your Leader, Champions and Gangers get Mesh armour right off the bat. That's a 5+, 360° save that allows your lads to hold their ground and win against Lasguns and Stubcannons because...
  • ...you've got a decent amount of dudes in a starting gang, (9-10 with ease) which means you will likely outnumber some of the other gangs, especially if they're over-tooled their dudes.
  • Also consider slightly cheaper Shotguns and Sawn-off for Scattershot - only 8" range on each weapon, (the Shotgun can still fire Solid Shot if need be) but forcing D6 wound rolls? Love that buckshot. :laugh.:
  • Skills are another important aspect of Orlock gangs - Champions get Ferocity and Savant trees as primaries - Nerves of Steel on your Heavy Stubber Champion keeps him firing more often and some post-battle related skills (Fixer, Connected and Savvy Trader) on a second Champion means you can be making more credits/getting better equipment than other gangs each cycle.

...and I need coffee. :sleep:

-Ran 

Edited by Lord Ranulf

Now I must resist the urge to create some Necromunda versions of SAMCRO members. 

:laugh.: There's more than a few SOA homages out there, including this very accurate Clay Morrow conversion.

Also, if you're a die-hard fan: Riding through this world....... all alone....... using these heads from Mad Robot: Sons of Chaos.

-Ran

Edited by Lord Ranulf

I was gifted an Orlock gang box today so maybe that converted figure could be an Orlock leader. And speaking of Orlocks, any tips for them? :biggrin.:

I don't know much about Orlocks, but I do know that the box set comes with a considerable number of combat shotguns that you probably won't want. My friend who did Orlocks converted some of them up to be normal shotguns, because the price is much more reasonable (especially for Orlocks), shotguns are good and the FW Orlock shotgun is ... weird. It looks like it has a pump over and under the barrel, which is something I've never seen before. Is that even a thing, or was someone at FW just feeling fruity. Anyway, I'll see if I can get him to bring them over for our Necro games tonight and get a photo for you.

I may or may not have purchased a Goliath box some minutes ago. My FLGS had it at 48% off - so 17€ instead of the usual 32,50€ - and I just could not resist. :whistling:

All the advice in here will be put to good use soon!

Goliath are good fun to build, but I'd suggest getting some more weapon options than the basic box. If you're ok re-posing though you can get some really nice looking models.

I just recently got the box set, so when I come to build the gangs, do I want to be looking at magnetising for different load outs?

Doe the gangs members load outs stay static, and the changes come with bringing in extra gangers, or can they change kit between games etc.

Ok, so it's a bit more complex than that.

For campaign play:

Load outs are static to a degree. Weapons cannot be removed from a fighter, you can only add more weapons. So whatever weapons you give your starting gang, they're keeping. A fighter can carry up to three weapons, though some weapons count as two. There's no way to bypass that rule, even with skills/equipment that allows two handed weapons to be used one handed (Bulging Biceps, Suspensors). Equipment can be freely removed from fighters (I think - need to check) and at least in our group, we don't worry about staying WYSIWIG with equipment, only weapons. Most fighters get a selection of pouches, grenades, backpacks, respirators and other random gear modelled on, but might not have that exact equipment during a campaign as it would be super restrictive and nobody in our group bothers to crouch down and check what type of grenades are on a models belt before making decisions in game - they just ask their opponent instead (much easier).

The exception to this is Leaders and Champions. They can have multiple loadouts. though those loadouts are individually static. So for example, in my Escher gang above I have a leader with a plasma pistol and power sword. If I wanted to give her different weapons, I'd build a new loadout for her with those different weapons. What you're doing is changing the loadout, not changing individual weapons, so it's not a case of swaping out the plasma pistol for a boltgun and calling it good. I'd need to build a new loadout where some or all of the weapons were different, which in turn means I need a new model to represent that new loadout and I need to fill in a new referance card for the Leader. When I played a campaign game, I could use either of the two loadouts for my Leader by simply picking the relevant card and model for that game (either by chosing, or randomly, depending on scenario).

I'm not sure about one off games/competitive, because we only ever play campaign.

When it comes to magnetising, I'd only make the effort if I wanted to have different loadouts for my Leader and Champions. I wouldn't bother magnetising the Gangers and Juves, because their weapons won't change. I also probably wouldn't magnetise Escher, because that'd just be too fiddly. Goliaths I might consider magnetising (If I hadn't converted most of them, which involved pinning and sculpting).

Thanks for the reply Toxichobbit. Might have to spring for a second box at some point.

Ranulf, or anyone else with Orlock experience, what would be a good loadout for a champion? It was previously stated they don't really want to be in melee so should I skip a melee weapon completely?

And since I'm making this a thread for my figures, here's an updated shot of the Orlock ganger all greenstuffed and glued. 

HRPnzAA.png

I was disappointed to find I couldn't turn his head as far as I had originally done in the mock up because the odd 'neck' on the head looked terrible and would have taken a lot of fiddly work to fix that I didn't feel like doing. 

I've also started working on the conversion for the heavy stubber Escher inspired by the art and the first few steps involved making her taller, removing the gear from her thigh, and giving her a more muscular physique. 

WFfpg0w.png

Those gangers look good :D for the GSC autogun is it hard to use them on the Orlock bodies or do they just need a bit of trimming? My two Champions in the gang I'm building are going to be armed with a Heavy Stubber (because that weapon screams Necromunda to me :D ) and a Grenade Launcher. 

That GSC autogun arm did take a bit of work to get a good fit, but nothing too rough. The top of the shoulder had to be cut down a little and to make it fit in the triangular socket on the Orlock body I mixed up some greenstuff and super glued it to the back of the GSC arm, brushed a little oil on the GS so it wouldn't stick, and then pressed it into the socket to conform to the shape. Once cured and scrubbed with a toothbrush and soapy water to get rid of the oil, I superglued it into the socket. 

Nice work on the sculpting BCK, she's going to be an imposing figure when done. I think the head turn is enough on the Orlock - he's not looking down the iron sight, but he's in mid-motion anyway, so it's more of a snap shot. Reminds me of an old 1st Ed Orlock lead mini with Autogun and Stubgun.

In terms of equipment for your champion(s) - my Orlocks are going with a Heavy Stubber on one and likely a Grenade Launcher on the other. (Much like Reyner I see!) Another option (that gets abused quite a bit) is a Plasma gun on your Champion - Cheaper than a Heavy Stubber, super accurate at short range, high strength, rapid fire and the option to go to max power if you want to ruin someone's day. Just keep in mind that any 'munda player worth their salt is going after that guy hard if they see him.

Conversely, against my better judgement, my Leader and one Ganger are armed for melee with an Autopistol/Chainsword and AutoPistol/Servo-Fist respectively. Sometimes Rule-of-Cool wins out over reason. ;)

-Ran 

My leader is going to be rocking a bolter and servo-fist because it looks awesome! Or maybe drop the bolter for a plasma pistol he is named Riker after all... pew pew phaser!

A shotgun is probably better on a ganger for buckshot but can become pretty awesome with the different ammo types - Executioner rounds pack quite a punch. 

Started on what will be my Bobby homage character. For those not familiar with Sons of Anarchy, he was a fan favorite character that was something of a moral compass for the club - as much as one could be in a gang of gun runners and murderers. 

8NDt1DL.png?1

And he was not in the best of shape. 

o8xLbcc.png?1

I did some preliminary GS work and trying out a twin autopistol look on him. 

c5mrdan.png?1

Lots of beard and hair work will follow, as well as rebuilding some of his jacket. 

Changed my mind on the dual pistols for Bobby because it was going to be more conversion work than I wanted to do since I'm trying to get these done in a reasonable amount of time (reasonable for me, that is). I considered the plasgun but it's 100 points and that seems a bit steep for a starting champ. I like the profile of the grenade launcher, but didn't want to use one of the Cadian ones I have and it occurred to me I could chop down (saw down?) the sawed-off shotgun and drop a length of brass tube on it and voila!

YpoHnjc.png

Not 100% on the stub gun in his left hand but the arm balances well with the figure. 

Looks good - very reminicent of the US Vietnam war era grenade launcher (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M79_grenade_launcher).  Though, in a game with plenty of ridiculously sized weapons, it might (if you are able) make sense to model an M-79 style sight or other furniture to distinguish it from a particularly large shotgun.

As for the stubgun arm, I agree with you an the posing - it gives the model a great sense of balance and looks very natural.  That said, if you don't want him to have the pistol, I think the pose work work well with the left arm in the same pose but without the pistol - either by cutting off the pistol and leaving a closed hand, or replacing it with a different hand (either open or closed).

I'm considering removing the stubgun hand and replacing it with an autopistol. 

Here's my next Orlock mockup, robbing the GSC sprues again for a classic side-by-side break open shotgun. 

K6ARfCf.png

Not crazy about the head though. In fact, there's not many of them I like at all and will start looking elsewhere. 

A word on 'leaving the Krumper rivet cannon on the sprue':

The arms are pretty much perfect for adding a CSM heavy bolter (from the first 3rd/4th box)... just some minimal shaving on the marine gauntlet to get the wrist angle right, and you've got a heck of a good time with mass reactive death from afar.

Further, for those of you inclined toward Chaos and all things Khornate/retro RT-type stuff, the extra arms you get in a box of Goliaths are perfect for 40k Beastmen...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0ftadyflnbgexf/IMG_2872%20copy.jpg?dl=0

Cheers,

E

The main problem there is that it's designed to fit 'normal bolter arms'. It might work on one of the stub cannon guys, but you'll need both hands from the marine ... Interested to see how that works out tho!

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

I wonder if the Heavy Bolter from the Mk III Marines is similar.  I've got that weapons sprue and was hoping to kit a Goliath out with it.

You can arm a Goliath rather easily with one. If you want to have it held with both hands you will have to do some massive reposing on the arms though.

Actually inspired by this very post I tried out the conversion myself, this is what I have built in the end:

QMF84lq.jpgrTjc097.jpg

As you can see, the right-hand connection is easy - it fits with only some minor cutting. You won't get the Heavy Bolter to line up properly with the left hand though, at least not without said repositioning of arms, including cutting them up and modelling muscles and whatnot new. Instead I went with the solution shown above, and most say I'm rather happy with it.