I was gifted an Orlock gang box today so maybe that converted figure could be an Orlock leader. And speaking of Orlocks, any tips for them?
Now we're talkin' about a real gang.
Half asleep at the moment, so i'll stick to bullet points...
- Orlock are best all-rounder gang out there at the moment - they don't have any brilliant strengths, (increased starting stats or cheap equipment) or debilitating weaknesses. (overpriced dudes, weak stats, limited start-up weapons) They're basically middle of the road on everything.
- Unlike the Goliath or Delaque boxes that are a bit rubbish in terms of loadout, the Orlock box set has most of the weapons you want and need straight up.
- The most 'Orlock' of weapons - The Harpoon Launcher, Demo Charge and Servo Fist - aren't the best option for your gang. The advantages of the Harpoon Launcher (Impale and Drag) are highly situational, the stats are nice but the range is way too short and credits-wise it's competing with the Heavy Stubber, with is far easier to just spray and pray with. The Demo Charge is lethal, (5" Blast!) but it's expensive as all get up and range is Sx2 -that's 6" - best saved for later on in a campaign when your dudes are stronger. The Servo Fist isn't bad per se - it's value for money with good stats - the problem arises because it makes you think you can rumble in melee - which is not where you really want to be.
- The best Orlock weapons are the basic ones with Rapid Fire dice - Autopistols, Autoguns, Heavy Stubbers - that's a hail of firepower at short, mid and long range respectively. Add-in the more expensive options later - Boltguns, Heavy Bolters and even Combat Shotguns and Orlocks own the short to mid range firepower game because...
- ...your Leader, Champions and Gangers get Mesh armour right off the bat. That's a 5+, 360° save that allows your lads to hold their ground and win against Lasguns and Stubcannons because...
- ...you've got a decent amount of dudes in a starting gang, (9-10 with ease) which means you will likely outnumber some of the other gangs, especially if they're over-tooled their dudes.
- Also consider slightly cheaper Shotguns and Sawn-off for Scattershot - only 8" range on each weapon, (the Shotgun can still fire Solid Shot if need be) but forcing D6 wound rolls? Love that buckshot.
- Skills are another important aspect of Orlock gangs - Champions get Ferocity and Savant trees as primaries - Nerves of Steel on your Heavy Stubber Champion keeps him firing more often and some post-battle related skills (Fixer, Connected and Savvy Trader) on a second Champion means you can be making more credits/getting better equipment than other gangs each cycle.
...and I need coffee.
Edited by Lord Ranulf, 06 May 2019 - 12:48 AM.