bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Forge World and Forge World Legends comprise parts five and six.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Scout Squad

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Scouts?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the Chapter Approved and current Warzone changes affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units? MSU of full squads? Do you make use of the Combat Squads special rule?
  • Footslog or transport? Are you making use of Concealed Positions or Outflank?
  • What weapons and equipment are you taking and does the above affect how you run them?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you

Edited by Jolemai
Updated!

They are the best way to get 5 cp and frustrate your opponent being unable to shoot your characters because they are hiding in a building.

I only keep them MSU with bolters, although knives is reasonable for blood angels if you have loads of assault elements and want to keep the pressure on starting turn 1.

They also work as excellent back field objective holders as they only cost 55 points and you arn't missing much if they arn't shooting for a turn and are hiding on an objective instead.

I've actually used these a lot recently and here is my take:

When they work, they work. When they don't, they fall just as quick as normal marines. 

What I mean is that I had a game where I was dropping mortal wounds like crazy from a squad of 5. They had camo cloaks and so were a pain to get out of cover. You can add in a heavy bolter for more mortal wounds via the strat so it makes them a definite threat. However, if you're up against someone who is going to be doing -3 or -4 AP already, they die just as easily (looking at you, dark eldar!!!).

So it really depends on what you're looking to do:
Camo cloaks whenever possible. It's worth it to make them 2+ save in cover.
Close combat scouts are decent for a cheap assault unit but are hard to transport unless you use their abilities to move into position early on. They actually punch way above their weight when you add in buffs so don't dismiss them easily.
Snipers are very swing-y
Having some extra mortal wounds is always nice (if you can hit that is).

Scouts are great and I always run at least one squad per Battalion (which in practice means I usually run 2 squads). They are cheap, provide CPs and give me ObjSec which are reason enough to take them.

However their deployment rules mean you can get more mileage out of them than just this. You can deploy them forward to threaten assault. You can use them to snag distant objectives if the deployment/mission calls for it. You can use them to put a defensive screen in place. You can use them to provide protection for characters like Captain Smash in case you want them charging forwards or UWOFing early on.

I use pistol/CCW Scouts since those are the models I have. They synergise nicely with Red Thirst and I even have one Searg with a power fist since I converted the model back in 3rd edition (when converting meant cutting metal :biggrin.:). The new Bolter Discipline rule is making me take a fresh look at Bolter+Heavy Bolter Scouts (possibly with camo cloaks). These look particularly good for nabbing objectives outside your deployment zone and being just tough enough to hold them until help arrives.

I can see Infiltrators overlapping Scouts to some extent but currently they cost twice as much as a Scout for the same killing power so I am happy to keep running my Scouts unless/until Infiltrators come down significantly in price.

Cc/pistol scouts punch well above their weight class, but are still super fragile.

I run a mix of bolter squads and cc squads, as bolters make better midfield objective holders, and the cc scouts get used as screens and turn 1 assault threats, which means they die too fast to hold objectives for long.

Sniper scouts are pretty awful, especially when compared to intercessors.

My lists generally run 2 cc scout squads, 2 bolter squads, and 2 squads of intercessors for either a double battalion or brigade list, for close, midfield, and backfield respectively.

My opponents have learned to fear what scouts on the charge can do.

Throw a stormbolter on the sarge, and you get 8 bolter shots within 12", and then 11 red thirst attacks, which is enough to put a sizable dent in any light infantry unit.

Cc/pistol scouts punch well above their weight class, but are still super fragile.

In one circumstance, I had a Shroud of Sacrifice saving their bacon. They are fragile but benefit probably more by adding some boosts.

Who doesn't love scouts? BA do them better than anyone else arguably.

I take a large squad deployed aggressively, with knives to get an early charge. I find this a good way of clearing chaff or pinning down a carelessly deployed enemy unit. I've seen many BA players waste valuable squads of things like Death Company or Sanguinary Guard flying into a blob of cultists, then inevitably getting shot off the board next turn. They might not be the most threatening unit on the table, but for cheap troops choice, they're pretty deadly.

It does kind of sadden me to see them used as a cheap CP token, and just camp on objectives the whole game, but it's undeniably a pretty solid strategy this edition.

Scouts are the best troops we have. Versatile blue collar heroes I never leave my scouts at home. I usually run bolter, shotgun, and choppy scouts and somehow my shotgunners punch above weight so often they are now targets in my local games! My snipers are for friendlies now but add ranged punch especially with a missile launcher. Full utility of scouts is very complex to tease out and takes experience but is super rewarding. Scouts rock!

If Scouts had up to date models I'd take them even in my Primaris list to be honest. They are just that good and we still didn't get any definite information that Primaris don't do Scout duty for a while. :teehee: (though to be fair if Infiltrators were like 5ppm cheaper there wouldn't be a Scout problem for me)

I love Scouts, they make creating cheap battalions wonderfully easy so we can actually have command points AND have points to spend on our awesome Elites and HQs as well. It's a shame the models are so out of date. Although that doesn't stop me using them, I'm really hoping that Space Marine Heroes series 3 is Scouts. 

Edited by t-dog1996

I’ve modelled a 5-man Scout Squad using Scion bodies with Scout arms and Orlock heads that will be making an appearance in the ETL if possible.

They are armed as follows:

Sgt Bolt Pistol & Chainsword

1 x Bolter

2 x Shotgun

1 x Bolt Pistol & Combat Blade

Not sure how optimal that loadout is but I used the spares I had which would make a legal unit...

I’ve modelled a 5-man Scout Squad using Scion bodies with Scout arms and Orlock heads that will be making an appearance in the ETL if possible.

They are armed as follows:

Sgt Bolt Pistol & Chainsword

1 x Bolter

2 x Shotgun

1 x Bolt Pistol & Combat Blade

Not sure how optimal that loadout is but I used the spares I had which would make a legal unit...

That sounds interesting. You have a picture?

However, with that loadout the unit would be versatile and cheap but somewhat confused in purpose, unable to truly shine at range or in cc. 

I like using mine in conjunction with an aggressive play style. One squad of cc scouts, two squads of bolters (HB to flavor for stratagem). I infiltrate to help get that sweet 1st turn charge, if I go first, and then have a Libby dread, smash captain, a VanVets squad, scout bikers and 3 units of scouts in the opponents face turn one.

Thoughts on sergeant loadouts? Codex wise they can get 2x pistols or pistol and melee, however with the index they can still get combi weapons, right?

Combi bolter power sword? Shotgun+powerfist?

I have power fists on some of my Sgts, and they are always a lot of fun. A Power Sword or Axe might be a better option in terms of assault, but I haven't done any maths on it, so I couldn't say for sure. But I can definitely say they're very fun to use.

The sergeant can retain their boltguns and take a melee weapon. I just have a boltgun/chainsword on all three of mine. Simple, cheap, reasonably effective. Edited by Hintzy

They can retain their boltguns and take a melee weapon. I just have a boltgun/chainsword on all three of mine. Simple, cheap, reasonably effective.

That's not a legal loadout. You have to trade the Boltgun if you want the Chainsword. So it's either Boltgun/Bolt Pistol or Chainsword/Bolt Pistol (well the chainsword is actually a combat knife but whatever, same rules for now).

I also like to keep my Sergeants cheap (Boltgun and Chainsword). My scouts tend to be a launch&forget MSU weapon and as such they perform admirably and heroically. 
Although I'm thinking about expanding the choppy squad for better overwatch resistance.

10 ccw scouts can be quite scary if you can cast unleas rage on them. 31 attacks combined with red thirst can be a nice suprice, when your opponent focuses on targets with bigger reputation.