Doomglaive Effectiveness

Icosiel

Hello, fellow Sons of Titan!

I've been seeing some lists lately running the Doomglaive Pattern Dreadnought. How is everyone using them? I have one modeled and painted up and I think he looks super rad, but every time I field him he is singled out by my opponent and annihilated turn one. A 3+ save and no invuln isn't very survivable against the kinds of artillery my opponents usually bring to bear against him. In the last year I haven't really run him at all--he just seems like a waste of points, since he always dies before he can do anything.

Can anyone recommend any ways to properly utilize this really cool unique unit we have?

I've played against a guy that used him as a counter strike force, hiding him behind buildings and LoS blocking terrain and using Astral Aim to shoot away. If you approach him, then it turns into a mean counter charging melee force...sometimes. It is still a dreadnought.

Another time he tried to throw it forward with Gate of Infinity, typically on turn 2 when he uses Interceptors and deep striking GMNDKs to pounce on the enemy.

He doesn't use it as much anymore.

Eh. I used to like them when the doomglaive gave extra attacks.

Now for the points, you're better off using a regular dreadknight as its just 3 points more, has more wounds/attacks/better save/better movement/better gun options. AAAND using a dreadknight uses a heavy spot instead of our precious elite spots like the doomglaive.

Well it's basically a Librarian Dreadnought (Blood Angels) with some few significant differences. It has a worse weapon (S9 instead of S10, AP-3 instead of AP-4, D1d6 instead of D3), one additional attack, proper dakka (the Librarian Dreadnought only has a stormbolter, heavy flamer or melta), no psychic hood, can cast only one psychic power instead of two ... and MOST important of all no character keyword.

And that seals the deal, really.

The Librarian Dreadnought gets used regularly in Blood Angels list because it hits hard (amount of attacks can get buffed as well) and thanks to the character keyword and <10 wounds it has no problems walking up the board until it's in charge range (which is made even easier with a great mobility power as well). If it didn't have the character keyword it would be as worthless as most other Dreads with a melee focus (SW can give them a good invul at least).

So no character keyword, no deal. The worse melee weapon could be overlooked but it's just lacking the means to get into melee in the first place. Better stick the a NDK (or even better a GMNDK) that can actually survive walking across the board and hits harder as well, or go with a regular Dread and let it shoot through terrain via Astral Aim.

Now for the points, you're better off using a regular dreadknight as its just 3 points more, has more wounds/attacks/better save/better movement/better gun options. AAAND using a dreadknight uses a HQ spot instead of our precious elite spots like the doomglaive.

Fixed :P

Now for the points, you're better off using a regular dreadknight as its just 3 points more, has more wounds/attacks/better save/better movement/better gun options. AAAND using a dreadknight uses a HQ spot instead of our precious elite spots like the doomglaive.

Fixed :P

He's not talking about a GMNDK though.

It is a shame though. I like the look of the doomglaive. But there's just better options for the same price.

I mean I think id rather go close range than close combat. Get a regular dreadnought, with twin heavy Flamer and heavy Flamer fist. 3D6 strength 5 -1ap attacks dropping from a stormraven or gating up is probably going to be more useful this edition.

Edited by Captain Coolpants

Yes, it was a joke. Anyway, I never saw a DK on the field.

Okay, on that thought though, in regards to the thread topic...when someone recommends a regular NDK to do a better job for its points cost than a particular unit...how much less would you see said doomglaive on the field? Yikes...

Not that points efficiency is all that matters, I still use GKT in my lists...because they're also cool!

IIRC it was a decent unit when 8th was first released, but sweeping points cuts have moved the generic dreads past it as forgeworld is rather poor at keeping up atm.

And they probably wont update points anytime soon, since the dont sell Doomglaives anymore. Only GK unit they still have is the twin-psycannon LR.

To use the Doomglaive most effectively you probably need to get it into combat, either via SR drop or GoI after deploying it out of LoS in case you dont get first turn.