The Blood Angels ETL VII Campaign Awaits!

Jolemai

Right folks, it's that time of year again: the ETL is upon us. This is what we've been building towards and this year, it's a unique title defense campaign!

What is the ETL?

The acronym for E Tenebrae Lux, the ETL originated as a painting challenge put forth by the Dark Angels sub-forum. This has since blossomed into a full on, inter-forum painting competition whereby an individual vows a legal unit (or units) for a particular faction and has to paint them to completion (in the owners eyes) within a three month time frame. The faction with the most points painted is crowned the winner earning eternal glory (special signatures, etc) and a year's worth of bragging rights.

• ETL I can be found here
  • ETL II can be found here
  • ETL III can be found here
  • ETL IV can be found here
  • ETL V can be found here
  • ETL VI can be found here

Our Heritage

As you all know, Blood Angels and their Successors study the arts. Our extended lifespan allows us to pursue and master the finer things in life and it is often remarked how exquisite the works of our artisans are. Certainly our preponderance for Artificer Armour, master-crafted weaponry, tapestries and so on show this off and back in the real world, some of the best painted models on the B&C are Blood Angels.

In the previous painting challenge, the Librarium challenge (which is currently on permanent hiatus) our faction had a long and distinguished roll of honour whereby we won the event year after year. However, for the first three events this hadn't transferred into the ETL:

• In ETL I we finished fifth (out of seven participants).
  • In ETL II we finished fifth (out of eight participants).
  • In ETL III we finished seventh (out of eight participants).

That said, we threw the form book out of the window for ETL IV:

• We finished fourth (out of seven participants) and within sight of second place
  • Our participant level (83) was at a record high
  • Our number of vows (130) was at a record high
  • Completed points (41,285) was at a record high
  • Final score (26,197) was at a record high

... and this set us up nicely for ETL V

Right folks, how's the planning going on your end?

Personally, I'm ready to go with three vows similar to last time. I'm starting with a character, then boosting to a larger vow, before finishing on a character. Of course, I'm quietly confident that I can do more but don't want to over do it (I have a fourth ready just in case).

Everyone had different ideas on what is best for them, but I'd recommend painting your quicker stuff first to get points on the board and going from there. Last year. I opened the scoring with Death Company (I can paint those faster than red/gold marines) and then moved on to the reds.

I also know I'll likely be away at some point over the summer, so I'll be keeping things doable by keeping the colours (blacks, reds, golds) together for this event.

RL has taken a turn for the :cuss: but I still hope to participate! I will possibly need to Vow early, finish late... it’s all a bit up in the air now.

As noted in my Prep thread, I have a significant number of unpainted, kitbashed HQ models in hand which should make for a meaty contribution to the BA overall points score.

RL has taken a turn for the :censored:: but I still hope to participate! I will possibly need to Vow early, finish late... it’s all a bit up in the air now.

As noted in my Prep thread, I have a significant number of unpainted, kitbashed HQ models in hand which should make for a meaty contribution to the BA overall points score.

Anything you can offer would be amazing. All I ever ask is that we do what we can; just plan as best as possible and start easy :)

So this year it's just codex options, no more FW or index options?

I will probably start with a vow of special characters. Maybe combined with couple of librarians and/or chaplains as those are fun to paint. Probably aiming for 1000+ points on the first vow.

Edit: I missed the last list of rules allowing FW entries. Now everything is clear :)

Edited by Kaese

Ive got a company of snapfit marines laying around, ready to go

Very brave, make sure you don't go insane and lose your drive!

Currently I have:

Baal pred

Rhino Primaris

Sicaran Venator

I want to add a Land raider Exelsior, BA Contemptor, Primaris Characters and Astorath to that.

I will probably start with a vow of special characters. Maybe combined with couple of librarians and/or chaplains as those are fun to paint. Probably aiming for 1000+ points on the first vow.

Edit: I missed the last list of rules allowing FW entries. Now everything is clear :smile.:

Nothing is confirmed, but going on what we know Index units and options are still out. FW entries (be it download or the FW book) are in.

A vow like that would be ace, would you be batch painting them?

Very brave, make sure you don't go insane and lose your drive!

Having done twenty second edition models for the RTS a few years back, I can echo this. Perhaps toss in something else to break up the monotony? What size chunks are you considering?

I’ll vow both my Baal bake off entries and a redemptor dreadnought

Then maybe more after I’ve finished them

Almost like it was planned ;)

Your GBBO entries will look stunning with some paint on them and the Redemptor is a more than welcome inclusion. If things go well and you have time for another go, what's in your backlog that you fancy doing?

Currently I have:

Baal pred

Rhino Primaris

Sicaran Venator

I want to add a Land raider Exelsior, BA Contemptor, Primaris Characters and Astorath to that.

Considering the batch paint method, or three individual vows? Doing three tanks the same colour is a slog after all (this was my second vow last year).

Currently I have:

Baal pred

Rhino Primaris

Sicaran Venator

Considering the batch paint method, or three individual vows? Doing three tanks the same colour is a slog after all (this was my second vow last year).

Who says they'll be the same colour? One is a command Rhino, after all ;)

I find tanks super fast to paint - meph red spray takes care of 80% of the work, then recess shade, paint the tracks and guns. It's infantry where I lose my drive. 10 man units kill me. Any infantry I do will likely be varied characters.

I've got a long list of models awaiting painting - a pair of stormravens, many many fine captains, assorted librarians and chaplains, half a dozen lieutenants and then various vanguard, DC and a couple of contemptors i might try to crank out. Just wondering about painting up a couple of technically HH models as 40k guys (Legion champion - LT counts as perhaps?) but thats if i ever get as far as him! 

One thing is certain - there will be blood!

I've got some bikes, more Sanguinary Guard, 5 Hellblasters, 10 Reivers, another Repulsor, several characters, 5 ASM, a bunch of tactical marines.

Hopefully, we can pledge Knights again and I can add in my 2 Warglaives. 

I've been trying to save up and only been painting what I need so I have more to work on for the ETL. I will definitely be a few reasonably sized vows. 

I know I'm going to start with the golden boy, Tycho from GBBO.because I want to participate. If my soul isn't sucked dry from this semester I'll try to do a squad of either SG or bikes. I really want to shoot for best squad honors, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do that.

Excellent words honored Reclusiarch! Our spirits soar to new heights as our blood sing with the rythm of the Moripatris verses!

As for the ETL plan -  the way I did it last year seems to work for me: A big vow at the start. Then a smaller one, and a few smaller still later on, as the patience of my family grows thin :P  

Although I have plenty to paint, I don't think I'll beat my last year's 2960pts as most of those are Infantry. And we all know what a grind they can be. But I'd like to do 5 vows again.

Edit: I missed the last list of rules allowing FW entries. Now everything is clear :)

Nothing is confirmed, but going on what we know Index units and options are still out. FW entries (be it download or the FW book) are in.

A vow like that would be ace, would you be batch painting them?

I think I'm going to paint at least most of them in batches. Some of the named characters will have so different color schemes that I will probably paint those separately. I'm tempted to go for a big opening and paint most of the characters in a single vow. The list looks like this at the moment:

-Astorath

-Corbulo

-Lemartes

-Mephiston

-Tycho

-Sanguinor

-Terminator chaplain

-Chaplain

-3x Librarians

-3x Lieutenants

14 models and 1385pts total.

This year my free time and will to paint are reduced, nevertheless, I will do at least one contribution. Got a metal Techmarine with servo-harness bathing in acetone, and brand new reinforcements in the form of primed Intercessors...

And even more reinforcements, hiding in their boxes...

I’ll vow both my Baal bake off entries and a redemptor dreadnought

Then maybe more after I’ve finished them

Almost like it was planned ;)

Your GBBO entries will look stunning with some paint on them and the Redemptor is a more than welcome inclusion. If things go well and you have time for another go, what's in your backlog that you fancy doing?

I have

15 intersessors

10 hellblasters

a chaplain

2 captains

a librarian

Ancient

Apothecary

Redemptor

All to paint

To build and paint I have

10 reivers

6 inceptors

6 aggressors

a redemptor

So might vow more I’ll do small vows because I love building the model and feilding them but I really struggle with sitting down and spending time painting.

Edited by redshadow

Currently I have:

Baal pred

Rhino Primaris

Sicaran Venator

Who says they'll be the same colour? One is a command Rhino, after all ;)

I find tanks super fast to paint - meph red spray takes care of 80% of the work, then recess shade, paint the tracks and guns. It's infantry where I lose my drive. 10 man units kill me. Any infantry I do will likely be varied characters.

I think I have decided to do my Excelsior red, but with the chap on top gold like my Captains are. All the bling with be gold too. Will see if I can pledge it as an Achilles or a Prometheus.

I've got a long list of models awaiting painting - a pair of stormravens, many many fine captains, assorted librarians and chaplains, half a dozen lieutenants and then various vanguard, DC and a couple of contemptors i might try to crank out. Just wondering about painting up a couple of technically HH models as 40k guys (Legion champion - LT counts as perhaps?) but thats if i ever get as far as him!

One thing is certain - there will be blood!

There was a time where we weren't permitted to pledge Cataphractii (as counts-as Terminators) as they were a HH unit (even though we'd all bought BaC). However, the lines have blurred a bit now due to numerous cross overs. Whilst I can't say either way what is permitted, you should be able to pledge some HH stuff as our 40k stuff, just no gaming the system - you couldn't rock up with a squad of Breachers (RAS) and a Medusa (Whirlwind) for example.

If you have lots available, consider doing what you will enjoy the most as that will give you the bigger boost during the event :tu:

I have my GBBO slam cap waiting for some paint, a lib dread, 10ish infiltrators, and maybe some scouts.

Mine is on the cards too, just need to work out when to do it...

With two characters and numerous rank and file, what's your plan for them? One super vow or separate?