Saga of the Silver Spears

UniWolf

Welcome to the legacy of the Silver Spears. Here sagas will be sung and many a mead will be drunk. This blog will report on the struggle to elect a new Jarl following the death of Rollo Greymane. The incorporation of primaris into the company has caused a rift to form between the remaining Huskarls, with Sven Ironhide and Ivan Shadow-Stalker leading either side of the fissure. Ironhide is willing to put these new brothers to the test while Shadow-Stalker sceptical of these forces and doesn't believe their true intentions are to aid the Silver Spears. What does fate have in store for this once great company? Only time will tell. 

A 10-battle campaign will the played against various opponents, most will be against drukhari and orks but hoping to have one or two against Necrons and Tzeentch daemons. Battle victories will be the primary way of deciding who becomes the successor of old Greymane. If there is a tie, the victory points will be totalled. If again there is a tie then a poll will be made and the readers will decide. Word of warning, my lists don't contain the best troops available to us but more alone the lines of whatever I feel like using that day. 

As well as battle reports this blog will contain any new models that I am working on, with feedback being more than welcome.

Hope you enjoy,

SilverShire (will be my new name when I can change it) 

Edited by UniWolf

Reports had come in that a Gretchin infestation had swarmed the near by planet of Zephyr 9. This report had come along side news that an Ork Mek was constructing a weapon that could vaporise the water on a planet with the push of a button. The Space Wolves could not allow these moronic greenskins to possess a weapon of such potency, so the Great Wolf himself charged the Silver Spears to investigate. Sven Ironhide spearheaded the attack with his favoured blood claws, long fangs, Wolf Guard Terminators and new Primaris brothers. 

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) [66 PL, 8CP, 999pts] ++

+ HQ +

Wolf Guard Battle Leader [4PL, 80pts]:Frost axe and Storm Shield, Wulfen Stone, Saga of the Wolfkin, Warlord

Primaris Rune Priest [7 PL, 98pts]:Fury of the Wolf Spirits, Tempests Wrath, Bolt pistol, Runic Sword,

+ Troops +

Blood Claws (Fangs of Elhaz [8 PL, 130pts]: Chainswords, Bolt Pistols

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle

+ Elite +

Wolf Guard Terminators (The Storm Brothers) [13 PL, 135pts]: Storm Sheilds, Storm Bolters 

Aggressors [6 PL, 111]: Auto boltstorm gauntlets, fragstorm grenade launcher. 

+ Heavy Support +

Long Fangs (The Guardians of Uruz) [8 PL, 110pts]: 2x Heavy bolters, 1 missile Launcher, 1 boltgun, 1 chainsword 

Hellblasters [8 PL, 165pts]: plasma incinerators 

Relief force from chapter approved was played with the Silver Spears being the attackers and the Orks defending. 

My opponent placed his Ork Mek inside the vital building, 30 Gretchin around the building and a runt herd with the 'speed bumps' as he calls them. The rest of his units were in reserve as per the battle rules. 

The Storm Brothers were placed into deep strike waiting for there moment to thunder down onto the battle field. Sven and the Fangs of Elhaz were placed on the right flank, The hellblasters on the left, and a gun line was formed with the remaining units alone the front of the battle field. 

Silver Spears Turn 1:

There was one objective, kill the speed bumps. Hellblasters moved up the left flank to get a clear shot at the reserves when they appear. The Primaries Rune priest and one of the intercessor packs moved diagonally across to support the Hellblasters. Aggressors remained stationary so I could double tap the speed bumps. The Guardians of Uruz moved up unto some ruins with the other intercessor pack supporting them. The Fangs of Elhaz advanced towards the target but only rolled a 1... Sven followed. 

Remember how I said didn't move the aggressors so I could double tap them, well I forgot to double tap...This was my first mistake. Thanks to the runt herd, 5 gretchin remained at the end of my turn. 

Orks Turn 1:

Reinforcements arrived. 9 grot tanks, 10 or 15 boys, more gretchin, a killa-can and a warboss on a war-trike. I thought his shooting phase was going to be very painful but I forgot I was playing orcs. By the end of his shooting phase I lost 1 hellblaster and 2 blood claws. The new mob of 30 speed bumps managed to make the charge into the Fangs of Elhaz, and Sven intervened.  Many a grot were slaughtered and Sven completed his deed of legend, but 2 blood claws fell. The whittled down gretchin were wiped out but thanks to that pesky runt herd, a few remained from the new unit. 

Silver Spears Turn 2:

The Storm Brothers descended from the heavens with a blasé of bolter fire. The rune priest moved with one intercessor pack to support the Hellblasters against the enemy reinforcements. The guardiens of Uruz remained stationary and prepared their hell-fire rounds. The final movement was the last intercessor pack into some ruins, lining up the Killa-Can that entered the arena. Smite and Tempests wrath were successfully cast, melting the small minds of 2 ork boys and de-buffing the warboss. Upon successful powers, clouds descended hampering the opponents chance of hitting the Hellblasters, rune priest, one of the intercessor squads and the guardians. In shooting, the Hellblasters destroyed 1 grot tank and brought another down to 2 wounds. The intercessors and aggressors wiped out the ork boys, while the guardians removed another grot tank from play. 1 wound was taken from the Killa-can by the other intercessor squad and the remaining grots were killed in a volley of pistol fire by the blood claws. The Fangs of Elhaz became blood thirsty following their successful pistol skills and charged the Killa-Can, forgetting the flames of overwatch that would come their way. 3 of the fangs fell to the Can’s flames, but the others made it into combat. Sven followed his brothers and made the charge as well. The Killa-Can resembled a crush coke can then the Silver spears were finished with it. 

Orks Turn 2:

The Ork Warboss on his war-trike became enraged but the shroud that coved half of his opposition so charged straight towards the last known location of the Hellblasters. Boom stick firepower and the jet burner removed 2 of the Hellblasters. The Warboss managed to kill one more hellblaster in combat with no wounds being taken on himself. The Mek moved out of his hiding spot, gathered the runt herd and moved towards the frenzied blood claws and Sven. Grot tank fire power killed 1 of the intercessors in the shroud and 1 in the ruins. Between the mek and Rune herd, 2 more fangs of Elhaz were slain, with the remaining being charged by the 2. The remaining Fangs were slain and Sven was left on one wound, however Sven did manage to kill the pesky runt herd. 

Silver Spears Turn 3:

The Hellblasters fell back. The rune priest moved closer to the war-trike. The Storm Brothers, upon seeing their Battle leader in trouble moved towards him in a hope to charge into combat. Fury of the Wolf spirits was attempted but failed. The rune priest knew something had to be done and so smite was cast against the War-Trike. Double 6. A bolt of energy fired from the rune priest’s chest and six wounds were taken by the War-boss, but it was obvious the power had taken its toll on the rune priest. The stationary intercessors by the rune priest finished off the War-Trike and when the orkish blood was seen trickling down the side of the vehicle, the rune priest looked to the sky to see a raven flying towards the deadly combat Sven had entered. The guardians of Uruz finished off one unit of grot tanks with aid from the stationary aggressors. The Storm Brothers fired their bolters at the remaining unit of grot tanks but only managed to do 2 wounds. Their charge into combat failed. The Storm Brothers could but watch the combat feeling hopeless, unable to come to the leader’s aid. Sven raised his axe one last time after inflicting another wound, only for the swing to be caught by the mek. The mek dug his claw into the gut of Sven and flung him across the corpses of the fallen Fangs of Elhaz. The crow cawed landed on Sven’s body and a fire began burning in the Rune Priest’s eyes. 

Orks Turn 3:

With the majority of the Ork force slain, the remaining greenskins began to retreat and consolidate in a nearby bunker. 2 aggressors were slain through grot tank fire power. And as the men in huge suits of armour were blasted into the ruins the intercessors were in, the battle field dust settled. 

Silver Spears Turn 4:

The remaining aggressor, stunned by the death of his two brothers remained stationary. While the Intercessors in the ruins readied their shots at the Mek through a window opening. The Guardians of Uruz moved into position, knowing that if the intercessors had any hope in bringing down their leader’s murderer, the last remaining grot tanks needed to be dealt with.  The Storm Brothers moved towards the enemy bunker, cocking their storm bolters. The Crow, still stationary on Sven’s body cried out and all went silent. Through the settling dust a battle cry was heard. “For the Ironhide!”. The rune priest, along side his intercessor support flanked the ork bunker and another blot of energy come forth from the rune priest in the form of two great wolves. The Guardians finished off the last grot tanks thanks to their hellfire rounds and a well placed Krak missile. The ready intercessors removed a wound from the Mek. As the bolter fire ended, through the smoke of burning grot tank, the Rune priest launched himself at the Mek. When the Rune priest failed to wound the Mek, despite landing every blow, the Mek started to laugh. “No man as ugly as you could eva kill me! Join your leada in deff!” as the Mek raised his claw for the killing blow a howl was herd. The wolf spirits themselves launched that the Mek ripping him limb from limb. And with that the battle was over. 

The Storm Brothers called out the Rune priest to inform him what happened to Sven. “Idiots” the Rune Priest yelled. “He’s not dead yet, but he can’t have any victory mead yet not until he gets a new liver” With that the crow flew onto the shoulder of the Rune Priest “Thank you my new friend. Without you telling me Ironhide lives, I would have lost all hope. You spurred me to victory”. Nobody know how the Rune Priest was talking to this raven, but the legend of Rollo Raven’s Eye, Rune Priest, would go down as one of the Silver Spears greatest sagas. 

Baldur The Blood-Drenched was captured by dark elder forces 3 moons ago. The ruthlessness of Baldur in close-combat was legendary. The Drukhari forces wanted to watch his skills in their fighting pits. Dozens of wyches and mandrakes were slain by Baldur using his bare hands. The Succubus in charge wanted to test Baldur's resolve so pitted him against a captured imperial guard unit. As the combat commenced the Shadow-Staker struck. This battle was fought by 500Pts of Silver Spears (myself) and 500pts of imperial guards (friend) against 1000pts dark elder (friend).

+ HQ +

Wolf Guard Battle Leader with JP, Chainsword and storm bolter, Armour of Russ and saga of majesty (80pts)

+ Troops +

6 Grey Hunters with WGPL in Term (TH/SS), 1 flamer, 4 boltgun, 5 chainswords  (112pts) 

+ Elites +

9 Scouts with snipers (117pts)

Venerable Dreadnaught with twin las and missile launcher (140pts)

great company champion with master crafted power sword (46pts)

Similar set up to the previous game, Drukhari in the centre with Baldur and the imperial guard unit in the centre but incapacitated. Goal was to save your captured comrade, drukhari couldn't attack the prisoners until a friendly unit activated them. 

Silver Spears Turn 1:

Scouts deployed in some ruins. Venerable dreadnaught and Shadow-Stalker set up within 6inchs of the scouts. Grey hunters went on the hunt. Dread and SS moved up the board but remained within 6 of the scouts. Wisdom of the ancients was played. The scouts lined up an Archon, and within the first round of shooting thanks to re-rolls it was blown off the board. Twin shots to the eyes caused the Archon's head to explode covering Kabailtes in blood. They loved it. Las cannons targeted the venom causing 3 wounds and the missile launcher wiped out 3 of the blood soaked kabalites. SS was out of range to fire. Honestly wasn't focussing on what the guards were doing, one minute a unit of 10 kabalites were there and the next they were gone. 

Drukhari Turn 1:

Wyches moved up the board sizing up the dreadnaught. In the shooting phase the dreadnaught tanked 4 blaster shots and took 4 wounds. The Wyches made their 12 inch charge but lost 2 from overwatch. SS intervened. Armour of Russ forced the wyches to be squashed by the the dreadnaught's monstrous feet before their attacks could be made. 

Silver Spears Turn 2:

The grey hunters came into play. The snipers reduced the second Archon to 1 wound, much to my annoyance. SS lined up a unit of kabalites with a smile on his face. The dreadnaught was shaking off some flesh that clung to his foot so remained stationary. The Las cannons finished off the venom with a glorious explosion, removing another kabalite, but the missiles whiffed. The Shadow-Stalker raved up his chainsword and changed into his targets. In a glorious swing of his chainsword, 3 kabalites got decapitated. 1 wound was dealt in return. Moral was passed. The imperial guard obliterated a unit of wyches and line up the succubus for a round of fire, she survived.

Drukhari Turn 2:

Scourges and Reavers came to party. The scourges made light work of he dreadnaught with their lances. Just as he finally cleaned his armour he collapsed in ball of flame. The reavers deployed on the other side of the board and took out some of the guard. A scout went down to splinter rifle fire, and the kabalites laughed watching the fallen brother choke on his own blood. Blaster fire went into the grey hunters. The WGPL was too quick and raised his shield to protect his pack. The one man shield wall stood strong. The 1 remaining kabalite attempted to cause another wound to Shadow-Stalker, the blade just bounce off his armour. The Shadow-Stalker grappled the young warrior by the neck and crushed his throat, and just listened to the karablite die slowly. The Succubus charged at a guard unit. For the first time in history a guard unit somehow managed to defeat a succubus in combat. How? know one will know.

Silver Spears Turn 3:

The grey hunters moved into the arena. A master crafted power sword was thrown towards Baldur and before the clawed fiends could react the blade cleaved the beast in two. The WGPL raised his hammer and crushed another while the beast master managed to slay one of the grey hunters. The snipers shot three scourges out the sky, these boys were on fire today. Shadow-Stalker flew into combat with the Archon with one wound left. The Archon didn't last long. 

Drukhari Turn 3:

With one clawed fiend left the opponent conceded the battle. 

The Silver Spears regrouped in the arena and as Shadow-Stalker and Baldur shook hands regaling their deeds in the battle, re-enforcements arrived. The Silver Spears fought their way into the drukhari camp and now they will need to fight their way out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Taking a small break in battle (unfortunately my opponents have exams soon) so will be blogging some of my models I'm painting for ETL. So first up is Rollo Raven's Eye. Below is the base model I am using. Going to shave off the markings on the arms and add a bit of green stuff. I am thinking of adding a wolf pelt, necklace and braid (similar to one seen on vikings).

IMG 2110

• 2 weeks later...