Forge World dread loadouts

Boshea

With the forgeworld bogo on arms looking at maybe adding some to my forces. What are the general go to arm options for Contemptors and such. I'd specifically be running them as world eater.

I'd be willing to be pretty hard that it's dual autocannons run as butcher cannons on chaos contemptors.  It's a sickeningly good choice (and looks really really good as well).  

Other options that are nice and cheap are dual close combat claws to keep the price of the dread down and give it some flexibility if you want something like hellflamer finger cannons and the like.  The Kheres loadouts with a havoc launcher are decent but don't have fire frenzy as a potential strategem to make them a true room clearing machine for hordes.  Twin las cannons are finally back to being on the menu and it's not a bad platform for them.  

I'd be willing to be pretty hard that it's dual autocannons run as butcher cannons on chaos contemptors. It's a sickeningly good choice (and looks really really good as well).

Other options that are nice and cheap are dual close combat claws to keep the price of the dread down and give it some flexibility if you want something like hellflamer finger cannons and the like. The Kheres loadouts with a havoc launcher are decent but don't have fire frenzy as a potential strategem to make them a true room clearing machine for hordes. Twin las cannons are finally back to being on the menu and it's not a bad platform for them.

all forge dreads were errata'd to get helbrute keyword so firefrenzy should eork, but may be misremembering the wording.

I actually only use FW dreads with the Daemon keyword so that limits me a lot. That said I love just about every loadout for the Decimator and I use Dual Soulburner Petards quite a bit. 

This might be my chance to get 2-3 more. ;)

I'd be willing to be pretty hard that it's dual autocannons run as butcher cannons on chaos contemptors. It's a sickeningly good choice (and looks really really good as well).

Other options that are nice and cheap are dual close combat claws to keep the price of the dread down and give it some flexibility if you want something like hellflamer finger cannons and the like. The Kheres loadouts with a havoc launcher are decent but don't have fire frenzy as a potential strategem to make them a true room clearing machine for hordes. Twin las cannons are finally back to being on the menu and it's not a bad platform for them.

all forge dreads were errata'd to get helbrute keyword so firefrenzy should eork, but may be misremembering the wording.

Aye, they did and in the next FAQ specifically spelled out that Contemptor Dreadnoughts didn't get to use Fire Frenzy in the Imperial Armour Chaos FAQ section.  And now hellforged predators don't get to use the predator Kill Shot strategem despite also being a predator.  Ugh, wasn't happy about that one even if I use my Deimos preds as standard preds. 

-uses the warp whisper messaging- You know you wiiiiish to, Prot.  It is known!  

I'm thinking of getting a 4th contemptor (my 3rd I stupidly didn't magnetize so now it's a dual hellflamer made to be a Cortus :tongue.:

Edited by Vykes

I actually only use FW dreads with the Daemon keyword so that limits me a lot. That said I love just about every loadout for the Decimator and I use Dual Soulburner Petards quite a bit.

This might be my chance to get 2-3 more. ;)

Decimator isn't in the sale. Was hoping for cheap butchers to magnetize.

Can confirm that double butchers is a great way to run them. Absolutely love it for what it can do. I ran a double chainclaw version last night (seriously... For only 8 more points, run the chainclaw version) with soulburners in the palms. It's around 200 points at that loadout, but can be way cheaper without the soulburners. But, I still need to try that version out against an army that doesn't have th/ss wulfen in it...

But if you're going world eater? Yeah. Chainclaws. All day. Every day. 140 points to maim and kill. It's not invincible, but it sure as hell is fun. Flank him with two more cheap punch Helbrutes and back them up with a jump pack or bike lord, and you've got a fun little smashy vanguard for less than 500 points.

Aye, Scourged's got the right of it.  That few extra points for the bump in AP, and the extra damage, is absolutely fantastic.  I mean, just not having that lone primaris not save on a 6 is great.  Add to it the hellforged 'shovel everything down your gullet and heal' is fabulous when you get stuck in. 

The ap and damage bump also make it a great tank killer too. Every breed of armor is getting a 6+ or no save at all, and one extra damage for every swing will add up. Plus... Chainclaws look awesome.

A note on Butcher cannons: the "official" ones made for the Decimators don't technically fit on a Contemptor without conversion. The way the joints fit together is inverted.

The much easier way is just get the twin autocannons and call them butchers. No one I play has ever said a word in opposition.

Its been the way I've been planning them out. Double chains to be a distraction from the berzerker rhinos. Butcher cannons may not be in the sale, but guess I can pick up some with the savings.

Kind of wish the old legion box dreads were still on forgeworld.

Why are Butcher cannons not included?

Edit: ah, I see.

The ap and damage bump also make it a great tank killer too. Every breed of armor is getting a 6+ or no save at all, and one extra damage for every swing will add up. Plus... Chainclaws look awesome.

A note on Butcher cannons: the "official" ones made for the Decimators don't technically fit on a Contemptor without conversion. The way the joints fit together is inverted.

The much easier way is just get the twin autocannons and call them butchers. No one I play has ever said a word in opposition.

FW also said that officially they are Butcher cannons. Edited by Tyriks

For World Eaters, go double Chainclaw with built-in soulburners. Move up, inflict a few Mortal Wounds and then charge for the finish. If literally EVERYTHING goes your way, you can kill a Knight in one Shooting Phase + one Fight Phase. Even though it won't, it's still going to put a huge dent in whatever it hits.

I am finding it hard to pull the trigger on the FW dread deals, I already have the IW contemptors, I would like levitans but we are seeing legion specific ones come out now so hard to decide. Dreadeo doesn't do it for me, its at the bottom of the list as far as FW purchases go. Would be better if they were discounting tanks, more tank bundles.... 

I love my 2 Butcher Cannon dread, but don't let him get caught in CC because its hilarious such a stompy monster isn't able to kill much, even with giant blades on the guns.

Here I did the work making the Decimator weapons into contemptor ones. pic. wonder if emailing FW first could help you sort out a discount on these guns.

Also ran dual fist with dual Ectoplasma blasters and it did great work with those extra shots (and it will only do max 1 mw to itself even with 2 guns failing on 1's so even after advancing its great) 150pts on the nose.

Edited by Syrakul

So with Thousand Sons I ran Decimators. If it's true that Decimators are not part of the sale..... what do you guys recommend for Thousand Sons dreadnoughts? 

I have no idea what would be thematic or even 'competitive'. The thing that confuses me is I see a lot of people like Butcher Cannons (for example) But they can be on different chassis, right? 

Sorry to ask but I have very little experience with FW Dreads outside of my Decimators.

The Osiron is a very cool model. I have one (waiting to be built since I just moved) and it's a really cool model. I use Leviathans a lot and they're very good on the table.

The only downside is any dreadnought will be better for any other chaos army - dreads don't benefit from Brotherhood of Sorcerers so if you want to have the best option ally them in. If you are fine knowing you're hurting yourself by running them as TS, grab that Osiron.

The Osiron is a very cool model. I have one (waiting to be built since I just moved) and it's a really cool model. I use Leviathans a lot and they're very good on the table.

The only downside is any dreadnought will be better for any other chaos army - dreads don't benefit from Brotherhood of Sorcerers so if you want to have the best option ally them in. If you are fine knowing you're hurting yourself by running them as TS, grab that Osiron.

That's why I like the Decimator, it is a Daemon engine so it does synergize with some psychic powers a bit.

What do you recommend arming the Osiron with?

That's why I like the Decimator, it is a Daemon engine so it does synergize with some psychic powers a bit.

What do you recommend arming the Osiron with?

I agree that the Decimator has a bit better synergy. Being able to cast daemon spells on it as well as others is a nice buffing bonus. Having a health regen is nice too.

Now, for Contemptors, since you don't have a trait to consider, the weapons you take really just depend on what role you need filled. Quad Las is now an option, and on a bs2+ platform no less. Butchers are your elite killers. Twin heavy bolters to tear into lighter infantry. C-beams are a unique gun that is a potent single shot with splash damage. Or grab two fists and punch things.

But yes, Contemptors are very plug and play. Find the role your army is lacking, and plug it with a new robot.

Forgot they have quad las as an option now. Definetly a competive position for them, since it runs about the same cost as quad las havocs, and is better bs than a predator.

Hmmm if it's the same as the Havocs in points, but has BS2, it could be great in the back line support role, but still able to move around.  I have been using the las Havocs and it's hard to make them work with no real ablative wounds aside from the aspiring champ.

Are these arms magnetizable realistically? Anybody try?

Forgot they have quad las as an option now. Definetly a competive position for them, since it runs about the same cost as quad las havocs, and is better bs than a predator.

Hmmm if it's the same as the Havocs in points, but has BS2, it could be great in the back line support role, but still able to move around.  I have been using the las Havocs and it's hard to make them work with no real ablative wounds aside from the aspiring champ.

My Leviathans were easy to do. Haven't tried the contemptor yet but it looks the same. You are definitely more capable than I am at hobby stuff so I'm sure you could make them work.

I've been running DCCW + Multi-Melta for a while now as a trio. 

Pure CCW is nice, but having the ability to cripple a vehicle from 24'' out is quite nice - and gets the most efficient bonus from any re-roll 1s ability. The Leviathan is where I rock the butchers. 

Remember, Chaos Contemptors get that lovely 4++ in close combat, and regen wounds on a 5+ for every model killed. You want those puppies punching things. 

NB: I also play a lot of Eldar, so Butcher cannons really fall flat against Wave Serpents, but MM + DCCW or Chainfist does not. 

I've been running DCCW + Multi-Melta for a while now as a trio. 

Pure CCW is nice, but having the ability to cripple a vehicle from 24'' out is quite nice - and gets the most efficient bonus from any re-roll 1s ability. The Leviathan is where I rock the butchers. 

Remember, Chaos Contemptors get that lovely 4++ in close combat, and regen wounds on a 5+ for every model killed. You want those puppies punching things. 

NB: I also play a lot of Eldar, so Butcher cannons really fall flat against Wave Serpents, but MM + DCCW or Chainfist does not.

I've been debating on whether or not to use a MM and Claw or Butcher Cannon and Claw on the two contemptors I've been saving up for. I'm running an AL gun line list, and I've got room for two in there. The only other real anti tank option I have in the list is 4 LC havocs, so the contemptors were going to cover the rest and act as a counter assault unit. But for the reasons you mentioned, I'm wondering if they might be better served advancing up the board and getting stuck in instead of hanging in the back with the -1 to hit with the AL trait and firing away with butcher cannons...

Hmmm if it's the same as the Havocs in points, but has BS2, it could be great in the back line support role, but still able to move around. I have been using the las Havocs and it's hard to make them work with no real ablative wounds aside from the aspiring champ.

Have tried, and succeeded. With how the arms and weapons fit together magnetizing is very easy. Drill a shallow hole, slide the magnet in, and the two pieces fit together flush. Even easier than the Helbrute kit, since the joints are totally flat.