vs. Necrons?

Playing my first game against Necrons tomorrow and not really sure what these guys can do. I've been reading through their 1d4Chan page, but it's really not very clear to me still on their tricks.

Advice on tactics against these guys and tricks to expect?

Necrons!! So fun to fight....somewhat. Lol. They have a lot of dynasties to choose from, just like space marine chapters, and the one I fight a lot that is deadly to space marines of any kind, is the Mephrit dynasty. It grants any weapon from models of that dynasty -1 AP at half range of their target. So their -1 AP gauss rifles are now -2 AP at 12". So expect to see a lot of transportation and/or teleportation that will get them to that half range if they are Mephrit. The Deceiver, if fielded, can teleport d3 units before the first battle round, and to my knowledge, auspex scan and whatnot cannot be used against it.

I know of several units you will be likely to see, and a big one is doomsday arks. Not sure if you know his/her list? If they indeed bring a couple of those, vehicles will practically be pointless to use, as they WILL blow up turn 1. My Land Raider Redeemer and Rhinos certainly did.

I think my biggest piece of advice, is be absolutely certain to concentrate firepower on one necron unit at a time, to ensure you wipe units from the table. Say you devastate a unit of 20 warriors to only 2-3 models, make sure you still take them out. Don't even rely on a failed leadership test to clear out the last couple of warriors, like I once did. The necron player, if he/she is smart, will use the stratagem insane bravery to auto pass the moral test, and proceed to roll over 15 re-animations. Not fun. All of their vehicles also have living metal, which means they heal 1 wound each time they start their turn. Wipe out units is priority.

Good luck in your fight against the xenos battle brother!

Necrons, hm.

A few things are pretty common for Necrons:

• Wraiths: 3++, T5 and 3W each, they're a tough nut to crack and they're fast (they have a stratagem to allow them to advance and charge, so watch out for that; especially in conjunction with one of the Necron Dynasties which gives them an automatic 6" advance).

• Destroyers: Again, fairly tough (T5, 3W, 3+) and fast as well, they pack a lot of firepower (3x 6/-3/d3 each), have inbuilt reroll 1s to hit and can get rerolls to hit and wound from a stratagem. Often fielded in big blobs of six, they will dish out the pain if left to do so - exterminate with extreme prejudice! As these guys can FLY, it's likely not worth charging them unless you're reasonably confident that you can finish off the unit (eg, a Smash Captain, or if they're heavily damaged).

• Warriors: Not too expensive anymore, Warriors are sometimes taken as they can be a nasty horde: a couple of units of 20 nearby a Warlord with Immortal Pride (units within 6" are immune to Morale) will be hard to wipe out, meaning they'll just keep coming back again and again. They're reasonably slow and not particularly long range (their guns are 24" Rapid Fire 1) but if they do close the gap they'll put out a lot of powerful shooting. Avoiding giving them the opportunity to reanimate is the best bet; wipe out a unit before you target another.

• Immortals: Less of a horde than Warriors, but generally more dangerous; their guns have no AP but they're 24" Assault 2 5/0/1 - and most importantly their shots generate 3 hits (not extra shots) on a 6. Combined with My Will Be Done (from an Overlord) that will trigger on a 5+, so a unit of ten would, statistically, kick out 30 hits (which equates to 6.5 failed MEQ saves). That might not sound like a lot, but that's just maths: on the table, they are dangerous. As with Warriors, wipe out a squad before moving on, as they're Ld10 base (and might have Morale immunity anyway) so they're not likely to flee - so don't give them an opportunity to reanimate.

• Doomsday Arks: Gunboats, these things are generally sat far away in the backfield with their main cannon lumping d6 10/-5/d6 shots out each turn - but they're actually very dangerous up close too, as they have a secondary weapon which is 24" Rapid Fire 10(!) 4/-1/1, so they can shred hordes too. Often taken as a pair or trio, they're not easily destroyed either: they're only T6 Sv4+, but they have Quantum Shielding, so for each instance of damage they roll a d6, and if they roll under (or equal to and under with a stratagem) then the damage is completely ignored. If there are multiple viable targets, try and bait out the stratagem (Quantum Deflection, for reference) on one, and then hammer a different one (if possible). Best to chip away with Damage 2 or 3 weapons, as high damage weapons will be more likely to get ignored (although Lascannons can still help!)

• Veil of Darkness: One of the more commonly employed Necron Relics, it allows the bearer and one INFANTRY unit (key note: Destroyers are actually INFANTRY!) within 3" to basically redeploy with the normal 9" Deep Strike limitation. This is one to watch out for, as it gives them a radical shift in manoeuvrability. Keep your Auspex Scan good and ready to go, as a big blob of Warriors using this could really hurt!

• Cryptek: Not much you can do to counter this, but it's worth being aware of. The Crypteks give nearby Necron units +1 to their Reanimation Protocol rolls (so it'll go off on a 4+ instead of 5+) - if you get the opportunity to kill one of these, it is probably worthwhile, as it will significantly reduce the enemy's ability to revive their units. They also (usually) have the Chronometron, which gives INFANTRY units within 3" a 5++ against ranged weapons; this will significantly dampen the effectiveness of Vengeance rounds against a Warrior blob, or Lascannons/Frag Cannons against Destroyers (again, remember that Destroyers are INFANTRY!) - if they have a Cryptek (they will) nearby to Warrior blobs, go for either Kraken (as that will drop their Sv4+ to 5+, so not wasted) or Hellfire (for the 2+ to wound for volume). Vengeance is still useful vs Immortals, who would still only get a 5+ anyway.

• Characters: As an addition to the note about killing a Cryptek, it's worth bearing in mind that they have a 1CP stratagem (Resurrection Protocol) to bring a killed character back with 1 wound remaining on a 4+. Each character can only benefit once per game, and they're brought back at the end of the phase, so keep that in mind if you're going after one of them.

On your/our end of things, keep in mind your various SIA types:

• Kraken can be useful for an early engagement vs their infantry (though not Destroyers, really) to allow you to pop shots off before they can retaliate (if you can finagle the ranges, you'll be able to shoot them at the max 30" and their Warriors/Immortals won't be able to move then shoot you, as they're only Mv5"/24" range! Although beware of Sautekh Dynasty, which can Advance and shoot RF weapons as if they were Assault: but they don't ignore the -1!)
  • Vengeance is good if they're outside of the range of their Cryptek(s), although vs Warriors you're likely better off going with Hellfire for pure volume, as they're statistically the same). Versus Immortals, Vengeance is good to cut through the Sv3+; against Destroyers, it's probably best to either go Hellfire (again, for volume), or to pop the +1 to Wound stratagem (Venator Doctrine) and use Vengeance. Rule of thumb is probably default to Hellfire unless you're at range.

Also, do not forget to use the Overkill stratagem if you need to. If you've thrown everything you can into killing off a big blob of Warriors and just can't manage to finish them off? Use Overkill to make sure that as few as possible get back up again. Important note about Reanimation Protocols: the models that come back must be placed in coherency with another model from that unit that did not reanimate that turn. If you can wrap up a unit in melee, you can make it impossible for models to be placed after reanimation. It's also worth noting that a lot of the Necron infantry aren't particularly great in melee: both Warriors and Immortals are both only 1A to your Veterans'/Intercessors' 2A, so don't be too afraid of diving into melee with them (although Tesla overwatch can hurt, it's probably still better than taking a normal round of shooting!)

That's pretty much everything that I can think of! Good luck, and purge the Xenos!

Sorry if mentioned already but watch out for quantum shielding.

Most of their vehicles have this, basically if they take multiple damage they get a chance to roll a dice. If they roll lower than the damage they get to ignore all damaged....

So much this! (and everything that Kallas & Ultramarine Vet said too!) Don't use your Lascannons against their Quantum shielding units, it'll likely be wasted shots. Plasma works much better to take out units that have quantum shielding, but make sure you can take it out so it doesn't get a chance to use their living metal. 

And another caution on the warriors using the Mephrit dynasty, they turn into murder squads when they get close enough. Warrior units are so cheap that there's usually a crap ton of them and they can easily wipe out an entire veteran squad if you let them get their AP boost. I've had good luck actually engaging them in CC after shooting at them to try to finish them off or at the very least to make sure they can't shoot me next turn if I can't keep them at a distance (which as mentioned, is pretty hard to do). And try to use LOS blocks as much as you can to keep them from shooting at you. Necron warriors with the Mephrit dynasty are easy to under estimate, but because of reanimation protocols, and the volume of high AP fire they can spit out, they're really dangerous.

Horrible game tabled turn 1. Think it's time I find a new army to roll with.

What the.... I find necrons to be one of the less damaging armies to play against just annoying to kill.  You live in the same area as me so hit me up in a message and we can set up a day to play, if I can see how you play I can probably help you out.  Necrons should be a winnable or close match up for DW, there is probably just something you are missing.

That happens sometimes, especially against armies you haven't faced or have little experience against. Don't get too disheartened Swashbuccaneer. I remember getting tabled turn 1 against Tau a long time ago. Definitely not fun. What did this Necron player use? Dynasty and units? We all would love to help you do better against those foul xenos.

Horrible game tabled turn 1. Think it's time I find a new army to roll with.

What the.... I find necrons to be one of the less damaging armies to play against just annoying to kill. You live in the same area as me so hit me up in a message and we can set up a day to play, if I can see how you play I can probably help you out. Necrons should be a winnable or close match up for DW, there is probably just something you are missing.
Pretty much the advice you gave me on my 2k list post I'm working on happened. No protection or mobility, etc. and some ark thing that a friend of his called the douche canoe (lol).

I don't remember all of the unit names except destroyers and a lot of flying :cuss and he was using the dynasty where they can move and advance and treat their RF as assault weapons (Sautekh?).

I just don't have enough threat saturation and saves just didn't hold up (tossing those dice in trash lol) and not sure how to correct that in DW. So he went first and got into range and put mass volumes of fire into my kill teams and that was pretty much it. Wasn't totally tabled after turn 1 but I just had like 7 basic intercessors left and a Librarian so I gave up at that point.

I just think I picked up a bad army to play as a newbie and need something more forgiving to play to learn the game more.

On a side note there's already arguments about us using SIA and Rapid Fire at all in my group. Hope they FAQ that to clear up.

Edited by SwashBuccaneer

*snip*

I just think I picked up a bad army to play as a newbie and need something more forgiving to play to learn the game more.

On a side note there's already arguments about us using SIA and Rapid Fire at all in my group. Hope they FAQ that to clear up.

Alright, slow down there.

First off, Beta Bolters introduced 2 more ways for RF weapons to actually rapid fire and to avoid confusion, they added half range to this as well - the rule says that the gun can RF if at least one of the conditions is met after all. Now you have to decide wether to use Bolter Discipline or SIA now, but Rapid Fire weapons as per BRB are still Rapid Fire weapons, so Bolter Discipline aside, the half range rule is still valid no matter what.

If anyone tries to tell you differently, FAQ them!

And after having a rough start, you want to get a new army, do I have that right? All the time and money you have invested should now be wasted because you're not an instant pro?

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but c'mon! Have a little respect for yourself!

Space Marines and any flavor thereof are in a rough place right now. They're an uphill game every time, but by no means unplayable, and DW are among the more potent Chapters.

You have still chosen a good beginners army, second only to Adeptus Custodes. Who, I'm sorry to say, you would have gotten tabled as well.

Why would that have happened? Because you're still new to this! You had to learn to swim, you had to learn to ride a bike, idk if you play an instrument but lemme tell ya, I ain't no Eric Clapton after playing guitar for 4 years (not for 4 years straight though, I'd expect that would have gotten me further :biggrin.: ).

And on top of that, you faced a new opponent. What did you expect to happen?

Learning to play 40k takes time. Take that time. Take it to play, not to take the long way round back to square 1 again.

'cause even if you went out and got T'au or Drukhari who are the top tough nuts to face atm you'd spend at least 300$ and painting time only to get tabled once again.

Call your Necron opponent out asap. If he tables you a second time, play again right after that. Use what tools you have to avoid getting tabled. Hide some guys in the Teleportarium. Treat Line of Sight as your highest priority. Deploy where you can't see him and he can't see you. You'll never gain board control vs Necrons turn 1 so it's no loss to start in cover.

And play your DW, get to know them.

I said they were a good beginners army, I should maybe tell you why.

They're easy to keep track of. They habe a small amount of units, they have rules that apply to most of those units, the units are adaptable to many given situations.

That's something you can work with. That's good to learn the game.

Give it time. Give it 3 more months, play regularly.

[Edit: and as has been said, post a small batrep here so we can tell you where to hit him hard.]

And finally. don't start a Tzeench army now. Painting Rubrics takes forever and they're not more forgiving than DW.

Plus anything you have learned from the games you have already played won't exactly help you either.

You say other players would help you learn the ropes with 1k Sons? Ask them to play your DW instead!

Edited by HighMarshalAmp

I'm not a good player by any means and I don't even play the most optimal stuff, but I fair decently against pretty hard lists with my DW. I think you need more practice like HighMarshalAmp said. You might have been deploying poorly if he can move up, unload and kill (almost) everything. Necrons aren't THAT hard. Especially if you use the Teleportarium Strategem (which you should, as much as possible). Also, bad luck happens, I've had games where i really got nothing done. It sucks, but it happens. I've been on the other side of bad luck as well and personally I feel bad about it if it happens to my opponent. It takes away from a fun game. Winning because you use good tactics and outplay your opponent is always better than just watching the 1's and 2's coming and reaping the opponents' models like wheat.

That sucks that you got tabled on your 1st match up like that. I've been there, against Necrons actually, my 17yr old sons Necrons to be exact. It was also his 1st army (he plays Dark Eldar now). I've actually lost more games against his Necrons than I've won, but now I can beat his list more confidently, and each time I played against him, I lasted longer and longer. 

It's like what HighMarshalAmp said, you need to practice and learn from mistakes that you make, and to learn to capitalize on mistakes that your opponent makes.  The DW are an interesting army because we have some inherent limitations due to unit restrictions, but we also have some really interesting abilities and tactics at our disposal. What makes the DW such a good army for a beginner (I'm a beginner also, only been playing lightly for about a year, but been in the painting/modeling part of the hobby for over 20) is the low model count and relatively simple rules for the army that apply to most units (it makes it much easier to keep track of who can do what & when, etc.) The DW also have a lot of room to grow, to learn to master them, which is also pretty great IMO.

Like some others have said, I'd like to see the list you were using and the list they were using and a battle report of what happened so we can help make suggestions on what could have gone differently. 

Another thing that I've found helpful, is after a loss, talk w/your opponent and debrief the game, unless they're a Delta-Bravo, they'll likely be more than happy to help you learn how you could have countered what they brought for their list and how to counter what they did in game.

Edited by Syward

Here is the list. I was over but he was OK with it as I didn't want to run an assassin since the CP cost went up and since these have been learning games he didn't care that I was a little over to try some different units via proxies or use what I had painted.

I had been using a chaplain with jump pack and 5 VVs with TH/SS but those little dudes are way too pricey and have yet to make their points back in any game so I benched them and proxied chaplain as the librarian with jump pack.

However, I'm almost to the point of dropping the Librarian entirely as I just don't like their spells and just doesn't seem to provide anything useful for me in any game I've played and I've tried most of the powers at this point (although psychic fortress has been nice).

The list is too 1 dimensional and lacks mobility and cheap stuff to take the opening punishment and no way to protect the pricey stuff. When I've DS'd units in before what's left on the board just gets chewed up even faster.

However looking at the picture I snapped of my deployment zone I should have held some guys back in the teleportarium as I had very little cover and not much for LOS. The one unit I had in cover he used some ability that stripped it.

The deployment was the opposite corner one and game type was the one where you roll for objectives to see which one went active to be worth 2 points.

Also was told that none of my vet squads would fit into the corvus but they should with just 1 terminator and jump pack and it has 12 slots?

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Deathwatch) [97 PL, 7CP, 1512pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Armory of the Watch Fortress (1 Relic) [-1CP]

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ +

Librarian [6 PL, 96pts]: 2) Might of Heroes, 4) Fury of the Ancients, Bolt Pistol, Force sword

Watch Master [7 PL, 130pts]: Lord of Hidden Knowledge, Tome of the Ectoclades, Warlord

+ Troops +

Intercessors [16 PL, 282pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher

. Aggressor

. . Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher: Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm Grenade Launchers

. Hellblaster: Assault Plasma Incinerator

. Inceptor

. . Two Assault Bolters: 2x Assault bolter

. Intercessor: Auto Bolt Rifle

. Intercessor Sergeant: Auto Bolt Rifle, Chainsword

Veterans [20 PL, 256pts]

. Terminator

. . Power Sword and Stormbolter: Power sword, Storm Bolter

. Vanguard Veteran: Lightning Claw (Pair)

. Veteran: Storm Bolter, Storm shield

. Veteran w/ Heavy Weapon: Deathwatch Frag Cannon

. Watch Sergeant: Chainsword, Storm Bolter

Veterans [20 PL, 244pts]

. Terminator

. . Power Sword and Stormbolter: Power sword, Storm Bolter

. Vanguard Veteran: Bolt Pistol And Chainsword

. Watch Sergeant: Chainsword, Storm Bolter

+ Elites +

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 140pts]: Missile launcher, Twin lascannon

Venerable Dreadnought [8 PL, 140pts]: Missile launcher, Twin lascannon

+ Flyer +

Corvus Blackstar [12 PL, 224pts]: Auspex Array, Hurricane bolter, Twin assault cannon

. 2x Blackstar Rocket Launchers: 2x Blackstar Rocket Launcher

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Deathwatch) [29 PL, 5CP, 514pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ +

Librarian with Jump Pack [7 PL, 120pts]: 2) Might of Heroes, 6) Null Zone, Bolt pistol, Force stave, Jump Pack

Watch Captain [7 PL, 124pts]: Jump Pack, Storm shield, The Beacon Angelis, Thunder hammer

+ Troops +

Intercessors [5 PL, 90pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher

. Intercessor: Bolt rifle

. Intercessor Sergeant: Bolt rifle

++ Total: [126 PL, 12CP, 2026pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Edited by SwashBuccaneer

The pics after deployment.

https://imgur.com/WXaX3Ir

https://imgur.com/PFTQCRu

I knew as a new player I would lost a lot of games but it's just not been fun when your overpriced toys keep dying on the opening salvo before they get to shoot anything. That's the main issue I continue to have in the games I've played. Everything is just so expensive and dies so fast and I'm just not sure how to keep them safe. I've done DS a few times but then everything else left on the table is toast and then the deep striked units get blown up too since they're the only things left.

Most of my games are being lost in the list building and deployment phase I'm sure. Just frustrating to keep throwing time and money at an army and just unable to get it to work and there's so much information online and often it's conflicting.

I'll try to do a batrep but I still don't know what units did what or what skills were used, etc.

Edited by SwashBuccaneer

BatRep Recap

Pre-Game:

Mission selected randomly out of CA2018 where we both rolled and picked from  the results in the book.

Deployment - Vanguard Strike (bottom left corner and top right corner 12" from the middle)

Mission - Objectives placed evenly around battlefield with each 1 worth 1 points. At battleround 2 a die is rolled to determine the active one for 2 points.

He won the roll and was able to deploy everything and go first. My attempt to seize failed

Deployment:

I tried to position in a way where my Assault Fortis Kill Team would be able to advance forwards with the jet pack libby and captain could follow for buffing, etc

Placed 1 Vet kill team in cover on the crater on the right and tucked away the other vet kill team out of LOS on the left building. Left some of the cheap 5 man intercessors where I could and placed the 2 dreads at the back end of my deployment zone and tucked the watch master and librarian out of LoS.

Corvus placed behind the assault Fortis team and frag team.

Necron T1:

Movement:

He moved and advanced and swarmed outwards from his deployment zone (he did say he tends to play a horde style list with around 80 models). He was using the Dynasty Code where they can advance and shoot their RF weapons like they are Assaults (Sautekh?) At the end of the phase he had units and little flying :cusss all over the table.

Psychic:

No space wizards

Shooting:

This whole phase was a blur and I don't member what all that happened. I do recall several stratagems being using which included one stripping cover from the vet kill team in the "crater". Whole squad wiped (but on a side note my termination was a champ and tanked 8 out of 10 wounds before falling).

Another volley of fire with high volume of shots dusted the other members of the vet team. (He hates my frag teams so much after playing against them with his Nids).

After that squad fell the destroyers and immortals (I think) opened up fire into the Fortis Assault team and wiped them out.

Fliers began targeting the ven dreads and both of them were destroyed and then the 5 man intercessors were picked up. 

At the end of this phase I had my Watch Master, Smash Captain, Librarians, 1 vet team, 1 5 man intercessor left. And the Corvus,

No charges made this turn.

Deathwatch Turn 1:

Movement: I scrambled to get anyone left alive into some form of cover or LoS, but there wasn't really many places to go.

Psychic:

A few smites and a buff to the Smash Captain and Watch Master

Shooting: 

A few pot shots from the intercessors hanging back and the Corvus targeting the Immortals and killing as many as possible.

No charges

Necron T2:

Movement:

More units moved in and fliers flanked into my deployment zone. Some sniper type of guys showed up as well as a unit of 20 warriors and an HQ into my deployment zone. All objectives held by the Necrons.

Shooting:

Less shots inbound this time as many of his units were out of LoS to my remaining force. Managed to shrug off most shots to my Librarian and Watch Master and Captain from the snipers.

Warriors fired into my vet team but due to poor rolls on his part and good rolls for me (gotta love dice games) no one died.

Deathwatch T2:

Movement:

I moved my vet team forward to get into auto hitting range of frag cannons of the warrior blob that teleported in previously. Kept the Librarians and Watch officers behind them. Fast phase as this was it.

Psychic:

Another buff on the Smash Captain  and some smites only doing 1 mortal wound and a Null Zone.

Shooting:

Used Furor Doctrine on the vet kill team and unloaded everything into the warrior blob. Rerolled a 1 on the Frag Cannon hits and got a lot more shots (can't remember exact number) and unloaded their storm bolters into them with Vengeance rounds. Deleted the whole Warriors unit and left the HQ exposed.

Watch Master took some shots at the HQ.

Charged the Watch Master at the HQ but failed charge. Spent CP to reroll but he tripped and fell on his hammer.

Game ended there.

So first thing if that was the deployment I would say from those pictures that doesn't look like 24" between armies, in fact its pretty obvious looking at the scarabs they are almost on the mid corner to corner line.  In fact it looks like your necron opponent cheated hard, your side looks deployed on an appropriate line, his is way over.  Why is the flyer deployed in the middle of the table?  Next, yes your corvus can hold one of those vet squads, whoever said they can't is wrong.  With that army 1 of your vet squads should go corvus 1 should be teleportarium, I would consider using tele on the big intercessor squad too, depends on what you are fighting.

Next you don't have to deploy on line, in fact your army has a lot of intercessors so you should be deploying ~ 6" behind your line  with BD your 5 man intercessor squads have 10 s4 ap-1 shots at 30" still.  Only rarely are you going to be the aggressor with your list.  Don't have anything on the typed out report for you, other then scatter your deployment better than just on the line to prevent a DS behind your lines.

Well, I'll tell you my best unit that I run against Necrons, is a full devastator squad with plasma cannons. Makes the doomsday arks go bye bye with super charged plasma with a captain next to them. A lieutenant present is also very good. Generally, my advice is take as much plasma as possible, especially against a list like that. And to help the survivability of your troops, I would bring a big durable unit that he knows he has to destroy. For me, those units are usually Stormravens and Land Raiders with a scary unit inside, and centurions. Those are only a few examples, I'm sure the DW have very deadly and game changing units. This makes him spend a ton of his firepower on said unit, and allows your other units to move into position and do their thing. You can field transports for your DW troops as well, just don't expect the transports to survive very long. It'll help keep your boys alive. Using the teleportarium is also useful, as mentioned by a few others.

I have tried using vanguard veterans, and I myself found them very lacking. They were not able to do much, especially in comparison to what my heavy firepower was doing to the necrons. Assault terminators, however, are very good if you want melee savy units. Very durable and punishing. Heck, if you keep an apothecary near them, I can imagine them being a terror for your opponent.

About your vets not fitting in the corvus, its probably because most of your army is primaris, and I don't believe they can be transported by anything, besides a repulsor.

It is true that the deployment, as mentioned by GrinNfool, looks very bad on the necron player's part. I am very strict on deployment myself, its the most important part of the game in my opinion. I hopethat wasn't before the first battle round, because it is fudged.

Well, I'll tell you my best unit that I run against Necrons, is a full devastator squad with plasma cannons. Makes the doomsday arks go bye bye with super charged plasma with a captain next to them. A lieutenant present is also very good. Generally, my advice is take as much plasma as possible, especially against a list like that. And to help the survivability of your troops, I would bring a big durable unit that he knows he has to destroy. For me, those units are usually Stormravens and Land Raiders with a scary unit inside, and centurions. Those are only a few examples, I'm sure the DW have very deadly and game changing units. This makes him spend a ton of his firepower on said unit, and allows your other units to move into position and do their thing. You can field transports for your DW troops as well, just don't expect the transports to survive very long. It'll help keep your boys alive. Using the teleportarium is also useful, as mentioned by a few others.

I have tried using vanguard veterans, and I myself found them very lacking. They were not able to do much, especially in comparison to what my heavy firepower was doing to the necrons. Assault terminators, however, are very good if you want melee savy units. Very durable and punishing. Heck, if you keep an apothecary near them, I can imagine them being a terror for your opponent.

About your vets not fitting in the corvus, its probably because most of your army is primaris, and I don't believe they can be transported by anything, besides a repulsor.

DW don't get storm ravens centurions or dev squads and making dev squads out of vets is expensive.  Vets can go in corvus just not the primaris squads

@swash

More thoughts, because your opponent seems shady I bet he cheated you on a few fronts so some questions.  Your opponents dynasty rule turns every weapon into assault when he advances, that means rapid fire 1 becomes assault 1, so no double tapping IE his warriors would have only 1 shot per model no matter what if he advanced, His vehicles would have 5 not 10 if they advanced.  Also they do not ignore the penalties for advancing and shooting so if they advanced they would hit at -1 or 4s on general for crons.  Slightly more obscure if they destroyers advance their weapons become assault meaning they get -1 to hit as well even though if they move normally they take no penalties to heavy weapons.

Edited by GrinNfool

DW don't get storm ravens centurions or dev squads and making dev squads out of vets is expensive.  Vets can go in corvus just not the primaris squads

More thoughts, because your opponent seems shady I bet he cheated you on a few fronts so some questions.  Your opponents dynasty rule turns every weapon into assault when he advances, that means rapid fire 1 becomes assault 1, so no double tapping IE his warriors would have only 1 shot per model no matter what if he advanced, His vehicles would have 5 not 10 if they advanced.  Also they do not ignore the penalties for advancing and shooting so if they advanced they would hit at -1 or 4s on general for crons.  Slightly more obscure if they destroyers advance their weapons become assault meaning they get -1 to hit as well even though if they move normally they take no penalties to heavy weapons.

Some confusion here. Lol. You might be trying to talk to Swashbuccaneer.