Chaos Knight incoming!

Darnok

I have been list testing about adding in a dual Thermal cannon Knight to my GT list as I have really been struggling with anti T8 in my list. 

I would rather use the Kytan for the synergies and the fact its BS /WS doesnt degrade, but only having a S8 weapon doesn't add anything i haven't already got. I need S9 so I can wound russ tanks and other knights on 3+

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated. 

If that’s the goal, then let’s play devils advocate: is that Knight mire effective, in overall game terms, than 2 lascannon havoc squads in a Rhino?

Overall you can buff these units, benefit from rerolls / auras and cacophony.

He didn't ask about havoc's...asked about twin thermal cannon knight

He asked for thoughts. You don't think it's a good idea in list building design to test theories, and compare units? That's fine, but I think it's more than fair to say it's a good idea to look at alternatives; positives and negatives.

He says he struggles against T8. A dual Lascannon Havoc squad in a metal box gives a buffer of 10 wounds before the squad is scratched. It's easier to hide, and might fit the list better.

If the goal here is cracking T8, this is a unit worth comparing. It can benefit from a re-roll aura, and VotLW. And as I admitted I am playing Devil's advocate here to just take a look at the bigger picture. That is to say if his only real vehicle is a Knight, it might be worth rethinking. Today everyone brings enough heavy damage to rip a Knight a turn. On the other hand if the list is full of 'traditional' vehicles, it might be the right fit. 

For clarity, I'm not saying the Knight is the wrong choice, but unlike loyalist units Chaos has a great, unique category that is getting bigger and bigger with Daemon Engines.

If that’s the goal, then let’s play devils advocate: is that Knight mire effective, in overall game terms, than 2 lascannon havoc squads in a Rhino?

Overall you can buff these units, benefit from rerolls / auras and cacophony.

Isn't the strength of the loyalist knights the detachment/strategems they have? If Chaos knight gets similar/ mirrored rules to use with our disloyal 17 CP battery we get something comparable I guess. Maybe FW knights will be better than the new chaos one, who knows. Chaos specific knight, don't have a real interest beyond how it will end up looking visually,  but it will change the faction for sure either way. 

For sure... that's why earlier I say, " I hope this isn't just cosmetic".  If it's simply cosmetic, I might just pass on it. If it's a thought out, codex style release, it could be great to see unique strats, etc. But again I really, really hope there's some sense of Daemonic Engine in these models.

With the release of Chaos 2.0 I've had a lot of fun (and successes!) with MoPs, Daemon Engines, and Psychic powers generally that I am thinking are going to be hard to replace with 'traditional' Knights. 

On the other hand if this is a full blown new release with Daemonic options on Chaos Knights... Wow. That could be really fun.

Just in from Warhammer Fest:

The Imperial Knight is an immediately iconic design, and it can’t be improved upon – but you can add spikes.

Fest2019-Sat12-KnightRampager3ujce.jpg Fest2019-Sat12-KnightDesecrator2ujcd.jpg

This kit is all-new, and packed with grisly details that make it instantly recognisable as a dark mirror of its loyalist kin – all while maintaining great posability and plenty of options for customisation. You’ll be able to build either a brutal Knight Rampager or the dominating Knight Despoiler, with a range of armour plates, faces, spikes and horns for making your Chaos Knight your own.

Fest2019-Sat12-ChaosKnightsDetail3iics.j
Fest2019-Sat12-ChaosKnightsDetail1ujcd.j Fest2019-Sat12-ChaosKnightsDetail2ijcsuj

Accompanying the new Chaos Knight will be a fully fledged codex that lets you unleash the true might of the Questor Traitoris on the battlefield. All the Knight patterns from Index: Renegade Knights will still be usable, only now you’ll be able to combine them with Stratagems, Warlord Traits, Relics and, of course, Knight Rampagers and Knight Despoilers. New lore, meanwhile, will allow you to explore the shadowy history of the Chaos Knights – as much veterans of the Long War as their Heretic Astartes kin, with thousands of years of history behind them that sheds a new light on the dark powers of Chaos.

Fest2019-Sat12-ChaosKnightsCodex1ujvrjg.

If you watched the preview video, there also appears to be a Chaos Armigier in there! :D Not sure if it was just a conversion, but it's definitely in there unless my eyeballs have become warp addled. Edited by Kaldoth

The Armigers and the Castellan look like conversions to me, using some bits from the new Chaos Knight kit as well as some from the Chaos Vehicle Upgrade sprue.

The new kit looks lovely. 

I don't think I will be buying one though as I have three of the things already and will just proxy/3rd part the new gun.  But...what a way to get into Chaos Knights for some others.

The Warglaive appear to have some different armour with the skulls on...couldn't tell if they were converted.  The Helverin and Castellan were standard kits from what I could see.  So my dilemma is do I keep my two warglaives and valiant standard in anticipation of new kits for those classes being released in the future....or do I convert away?  

Also,really excited for that codex, just hope they have done it justice.

A couple of us are excited about the new Knight possibilities and, rather than pollute the Skitarii Transport thread with further cross talk, figured this new Knightly development should really have one of its own. Strictly these aren't Imperial Knights, but as many of us will undoubtedly be using both rule sets interchangeably, and B&C doesn't have a Knight specific forum I figure this'll do here right?

So kittens, without further ado, let me welcome you to the Eye of Terror and ask, what do we think of our new Knight Rampager and Knight Desecrator?

Also, what do we believe this weapon is on said Desecrator?:

Screenshot_182.jpg

Something Las based from the power cell like things on the side? Is that a Lightning Claw rather than a gauntlet on the Knights? Speculate away...

Also, spikeybits have some sprue pictures for those into such things right here:

https://spikeybits.com/2019/05/new-chaos-renegade-knight-sprue-pics-spotted.html

Between the promo video and event photos, my hopes were up for a pretty quick release.

It seems like a logical complement to the new CSM codex/Vigilus Ablaze and the Slaanesh releases, but I don't follow AoS at all, so maybe my perspective is skewed.

Definitely got me excited enough to start building the Gallant (Despoiler?) I had on sprue.

Yeah I can't wait I'm really hoping its soon. It's amazing how much chaos stuff their releasing.

I really like the look of the new Las whatever paired with the fist.

Although I'm tempted to run a couple of the gallant variant (rampagor or despoiler) with a lord discordant and some daemon engines it would be a lot of pressure!