It’s Happening! (Transport is coming!)

Since I haven't spoken up yet:

I'm OK with the Transport option "LCA"-style (ie. Omaha Beach lander).  It's not spectacular but it's very functional yet odd in that traditional AdMech style.  The twin turret and sponsons look pretty cool though the rudders are a bit strange in both size and positioning, to me.  One curiosity is whether this will be able to fly or be a traditional ground vehicle with a bit of movement shenanigans.  The other is what capacity it ends up being.

As a tank, I actually like this thing a bit better though it's largely redundant with Knights and the Onager existing.  One wonders if there will be more ways to "up-gun" the tank variant and/or whether it will have transport capacity, making it more of an IFV option a la a Razorback.

In either case, it's about time GW takes care of this gaping hole in the AdMech 'dex and gives me hope for a few more HQ options to go along with this, assuming the codex is due for some kind of update and this isn't just a one-off release.

Yeah, it's got certain elements that shouldn't really work together, until you add in the Mechanicus factor, and then it becomes more reasonable. "Oooh, the AdMech built it? Ok, now it makes sense." It's an odd case of I'm not totally keen of the design, but the very fact that I don't like it on some level kinda' makes me like it in the end. I still find it strange that it's a high-tech form of hovercraft that's using some form of anti-grav but it still has a 'skirt' that sits directly on the ground. It really deserves to be elevated, in my opinion, if even just a little bit. But that's a pretty small niggle that can be remedied.

As for the battlefield role, naturally it all depends on the rules and points. For those who follow it, the Rule of Three and a lack of vehicle squads can be really annoying with the limited selection of units that the Mechanicus has to choose from. I've got three Onagers in my list already so a few of these might actually compliment them perfectly. Also, they're so bulky that their ability to screen should be factored into their tabletop utility and how they might synergize with other units.

Okay, can that, Subtle Discord, give us a sketchbook of your work! :wub:

While I do sketch some to work out some design problems while I 3D model things, and I do have a sketch book to recording some ideas or do some iterations of a concept when I'm away from the studio, I don't really sketch my ideas in full all that much. I'm not a bad sketcher, but I'm not that fast compared to really good sketchers, and speed is really important to get the most out of sketching; explore the idea/s fast and iterate lots to find the best ideas. In my case I can visualize an idea in 3D in my mind really well and I don't need to 'sell it' to anyone else so many times I'll just start 3D modeling with a general idea of the look I want and then the final details happen along the way.

Unfortunately, right now it's actually a real limitation to my studio and how I can market myself and how I want to expand; my time is better spent doing any one of several other things for the studio so I simply don't have time to sketch ideas. At some point I will be getting an in-studio artist who can create acceptable sketches to showcase an idea or concept before it can be digitally modeled. I literally have many dozens of ideas in my mind that I wish I could showcase in support of crowdfunding drives, for example, but I'm simply not at a point where I can afford to properly pay an artist and still generate enough capitol to make the required studio investment. I'm building up to the point where that'll change, but for now it's a frustrating spot to be.

Nope, not that I know. Maybe some people took photos of some pages. I've seen the sketchbook last year on WarhammerFest Europe - the designer behind the AdMech range was there, with a collection of the sketches for everything that was released up to that point. There are more sketches (he directly said - Yes, for a transport too), but it's not possible to show the ones that were not yet released as models. Some might remember the whole Chapterhouse mess - GW releasing artworks/sketches/rules does not equal a copyright. So if they released yet unused sketches, they'd risk someone else making that model first and securing a copyright for what GW intended to make. So there's a solid reason they don't show more than the background of what we already know.

The shown stuff included some design iterations of skitarii and their wargear, the details of what that gear does, or the concept of how techpriests' aesthetics change when they climb the ranks, ranging from the rough levels of the new enginseer model to the dominus. The last stage were complete pencil drawings going into the last detail and pose - models like the datasmith that look exactly like someone took the finished model and retraced a photo. Very interesting stuff, I'd recommend attending the events if possible.

Alas Australia hasn’t had GW games day events for years, though a tournament this year had GW presence so hopefully they’ll do more now that I might be able to attend. But I did get to meet Jes Goodwin and look through the Dark Eldar sketchbook.

It doesn't take Nostradamus to foresee me heading into a GW store soon. :D

I hope my Secutarii don't take too long to paint since I'm hoping to pledge a Skorpius to the ETL. I'm going to need a new way to store my models. 

Yeah, this is a problem...for my ETL timetable. I've planned to do marines (a lot of marines), but I guess a few transports will be doable inbetween. The transports may not count for ETL in this case, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make...

It the article it specifies the " Open-Top " of the Skorpius. It may be wishful thinking but i'm starting to get excited it may come with the open-top rule...  it would be pretty huge if it does, though it will come with reduced resiliency no doubt. What do you all think ? 

Edited by Kozz

It the article it specifies the " Open-Top " of the Skorpius. It may be wishful thinking but i'm starting to get excited it may come with the open-top rule...  it would be pretty huge if it does, though it will come with reduced resiliency no doubt. What do you all think ? 

Multiple times "Open Top" has been mentioned now, seems like a conscious statement.

If these are open topped with 3 (My bad) 4 stubbers and either vanguard/corpsucari/infiltrators in them, thats some serious movable horde clearance.

Ive already been running a fairly agressive cc-oriented stygies list and these should fit right in to get my vanguard off the shelf and up the table too.

Told myself no more purchases until everything else is painted though...nggghhh.

Edited by DanPesci

Hopefully those stubbers are phosphor instead. Then it'd be even better! lol

I am curious what the rules will be like for it though. Will it get Fly since it's a hovercraft? How resilient will it be since it'll most likely be given the open-topped rules? Are those antenna for a data-tether like some people are speculating, or is it a forcefield like others suggested?

I'm not as curious about its tank variant, seeing as how I already have 4 dunecrawlers. That being said, if it's a Fast Attack option instead of Heavy Support (which I honestly doubt), that'd change things. I just hope it doesn't get thrown into Elites. We already have enough of them. 

Have we heard anything more about this kit yet?

One of the play testers for the unit said they're pretty sure they remember the tank variant having some transport capacity. That hasn't been stated officially as far as I know, but this individual would certainly have seen the rules. Assuming their recollection is correct.

Might factor into decision making for some of you.

If it is heavy then it has to be something special or its dead in the water, our dunecrawlers are so good and cheap already. Not to mention we also have Bots which fill the roll of chaff clearing.

If they both end up being transports OMG I am going to spam them. They really will compliment the Battalion when we are pushed as an army towards the Spearhead. 

Stray , I need you to apply the claws to this playtester ...  Go for the EYES ... for every tidbit you get a whole box of gourmet perl .

My only hope is this doesn't come out the literal week i take my admech to heat 1   >.< i do not need that kind of all nighter in my life .

I suspect he's talking about Reece Robbins from Frontline Gaming, who did make a very conditional "If I remember correctly" comment about the Disintegrator also having transport capacity. I further suspect that Reece was misattributing the "modest transport capacity" of the Repulsor Executioner (also a variation on a dedicated transport, also previewed at WarhammerFest, and also most likely a unit that came through his playtest group at about the same time).

It is possible that BOTH the Repulsor Executioner and the Skorpius Disintegrator will have modest transport capacity, but I wouldn't take Reece's very non-commital comment as anything approaching proof. And I wouldn't bother trying to cajole any more info out of him - Reece is habitually tight-lipped and I'm sure the only reason he even made that comment is because he thought it had already been confirmed by GW... which it WAS, in the case of the Executioner.

On the other hand, if the playtester in question is someone other than Reece, have at it.

Edited by Lord Nord

One of the play testers for the unit said they're pretty sure they remember the tank variant having some transport capacity. That hasn't been stated officially as far as I know, but this individual would certainly have seen the rules. Assuming their recollection is correct.

Might factor into decision making for some of you.

Hard to see where they would embark? There are no transport style hatches for rapid disembarking (a.k.a doors). Maybe it can transport a tech priest or two like a command vehicle for important personnel? Or the skitarii just hang on to the outside?