Necron vs Cadia IG

I searched before starting this thread.

I do not play often, but every time i have fought against IG it wasn't fun.

I am looking for advice on must have necron units to take against IG heavy tank focus army.

Q. Does IG have stragetem that allows them to shoot after falling back with a tank or infantry?

I think DDAs and Destroyers are our premier anti-armour units, with a group of Doom Scythes as a runner up. We have lots of other stuff that pings a wound off here and there, if you can get into combat Wraiths and Lychguard do OK as well, but those units drop wounds fast.

This type of match can be like playing 40k on 'insane' difficulty for Necrons though. You really have to tailor a list to beat that many high T/W models.

Doomsday Arks, Doom Scyths, and Destroyers are critical for busting IG armor.

It's a hard matchup for crons. Most prime guard damage is volume D2 or D3 shots which is hard for quantum shielding to stop. Basilisks can and will target and take out your Destroyers without needing LoS.

It's a hard matchup for crons. Most prime guard damage is volume D2 or D3 shots which is hard for quantum shielding to stop. Basilisks can and will target and take out your Destroyers without needing LoS.

Deepstrike a tomb sentinel within 9" and have it cap off a few shots with the exile cannon. Heavy d6 s10 ap4 d3.

Deepstrike a tomb sentinel within 9" and have it cap off a few shots with the exile cannon. Heavy d6 s10 ap4 d3.

I love me some Tomb Sentinels but with DS being removed from turn 1 means that any Guard player worth their salt has pushed their infantry screens forward 4 to 6 inches in front of their tanks, meaning your closest DS to critical armor will often be outside of 12".

The key for Necrons in antiarmor would be saturation. Have multiple methods/units to bust armor because the guard players priority is to always take out the threats to their tanks so they can operate unopposed in the later game turns.

The truth is the Guard codex is a very solid and flexible book with a lot of functional units and builds vs the crons who have a few solid units but lack the overall variety of options and synergies to make them flexible and hard to counter.

The biggest killer here I’ve found is range. So much of the Necron shooting is 24”, which guard easily beats. My suggestion would be play the mission and hope for the best lol.

I have found the deceiver and ds relic good to get in range. Mephrit Tesla immortals will remove any screen.

thanks reply.

it looks like it will be hardcore mode vs IG.

yeah. i will probably have to play the mission.

Q. With the changes to the FLY in charging phase is it even possible to wrap a tank with scarabs (unit of 6 scarabs)?

Q. Does IG have stragetem that allows them to shoot after falling back with a tank or infantry?

Edited by Mechanicus_Adept

Q1, yes, you should be able to wrap the tank. Assuming you’re close enough. It’s a model so you can fly over it.

Q2, the infantry can be given an order to fall back and shoot. The tanks cannot.

That being said, with guard, the punishment for not being able to shoot after falling back is usually not a concern because your unit is now no longer locked in combat and they have so many other units to shoot you with.

Most IG tanks are more than 3" wide (closer to 4") so you'll likely still have to move around them regardless of the FLY keyword.

Q1, yes, you should be able to wrap the tank. Assuming you’re close enough. It’s a model so you can fly over it.

Q2, the infantry can be given an order to fall back and shoot. The tanks cannot.

That being said, with guard, the punishment for not being able to shoot after falling back is usually not a concern because your unit is now no longer locked in combat and they have so many other units to shoot you with.

yup. necron unit charge ig. infantry fell back and necron unit was shot up by tanks. It happened recently to me in a game.

it was a hard battle. the nightbringer was the star player being the only unit that could wound the tanks. 5 tanks in a 1000 pts battle. :o

Edited by Mechanicus_Adept

As others have said, DDA, and destroyers. Unless they are taking volcano cannons and the like, consider a seraptek or even a tesseract. If they are running a lot of super heavy tanks, consider a pylon kept in reserve.