Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Chaos Knights Teaser

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
353 replies to this topic

Raven1

Raven1

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,061 posts

Is that supposed to affect only one single die, or any/all of the dice? This isn't the first time I've found GW's use of the singular frustrating - it come up in one of the new Vigilus Ablaze chaos legion's rules as well.

Rules as Intended I think it's clear it's every roll. Rules as worded is unclear. I would err on the side of it NOT being a single hit roll but all the hit rolls in an attack. Luckily GW is good with FAQs and rules clarifying in 8th edition.

gallery_33260_13323_10404.pnggallery_33260_13323_11012.pngETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_02_.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Chaos_DemonsETL_Medal_01.gif

Mushkilla

Mushkilla

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts

That's each die. "When resolving an attack," it says. Each shot is a separate attack.

The core rules are actually pretty precise in the language they use when describing how firing and melee is resolved. The key principle is that an attack is a single to-hit roll (even when firing a weapon with multiple attacks) and that each attack is fully resolved before making the next. Batch rolling is a convenience when doing so won't result in ambiguous situations or otherwise play out differently depending on the order of the attacks.

Keeping those principles in mind will make it a lot easier to parse rules of various units and abilities. In this case, the confusion stems from us as players using "attack" colloquaily to mean "My unit X attacks your unit Y" or "This model attacks with this gun" and so forth, when the rules actually say you are choosing a unit to shoot/fight, then choosing one or more target units, etc.

This. It's clear if you are familiar with the wording in the core rules. Doesn't need a FAQhappy.png

Edited by Mushkilla, 13 July 2019 - 09:41 AM.

• wildweasel likes this

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,167 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE
It’s not worth the command points if it’s a single shot and you can just use the reroll strat for 1 cp.
=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=
my 40k FB Page:
https://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est
Terminus Est
Blood and Honor!

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,935 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens
Since this is out, it's time to lock this thread up and take the discussion to the Lost and the Damned forum.
  • Black Blow Fly and Excessus like this
Active Projects: The Great Repaintening! - follow along on my journey to repaint a Blood Ravens army. | Adeptus Titanicis: Legio Metalica - a slow-grow plog of tiny titans and tinier knights.
Finished Projects: Brother Casman's Waaagh! - All of my Orks... for now. | Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Getting the "Third Army" on the battlefield

In the operations of war, [...] the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users