Chaos Havocs tactics/loadout

I agree with your assessment, except as to putting it on a backfield squad - if I'm going to put a heavy weapon there, I want something I can use all game, unless I'm specifically expecting some sort of deep field deep strike (or similar effect) that I need to worry about.

At 5 man, still think its best for 2 las, 1 ML 1 AC. I think if you got 2 havoc units, just absolute mad lad to have just x4 lascannon in just one 5 man unit. Two units of las, get it, but just one is crazy to me. I always ran 10 man for 4 las to keep them around in older editions. Modern problems require modern solutions. 

I was doing mixed squads a little more often, but now I only do it for point economy reasons.

I honestly don't find it makes a difference. When people want them dead, they're dead. 

So I'll start with a 4 Lascannon squad. I don't get first turn, then they're usually in a Rhino, if not I put them out of LOS. Turn 2, or whatever, I just let them go off and try to blow something up, after that they are usually quite dead. 

Same with Chaincannons, or Missile Launchers. Essentially I find they are a fire and forget unit.