Objective markers

Hi, i got a question regarding objective markers.

When making objective markers what size base do you usually use? (if you place them on a base)

And please show off any cool diy objective markers.

My game group always used to use the 50mm square ones, but lately some of us have been using 40 or 50mm rounds and we like them as well. We used those rounded decorative floral stones as placeholders before we had all made custom markers as well.

I prefer 40 mm bases. they Are big enough, so that they can fit some scenic elements. I was thinking of using 50 mm ones in the past, but they might sometimes use up a bit much space, if you play with dense terrain.

Also if you want to use the original gw bases, 40 mm are easier to obtain in bit shops.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

Hmm... Something to think about. I was planning on making some thematic objectives but their size never really crossed my mind...

One thing I was considering asking a foundation for them was the heroic bases GW had released which I didn't care for actually using forncharacters because it would give them a weird height advantage for LOS...

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/40k-hero-bases-2016

^^ these bases ^^

I notice now they are all different sizes... IDK what I want to do anymore. But deciding on a size will have to be the first step I suppose.

Hey thanks! I'll be sure to post any more i get round to either here or in one of my Wip threads.

The marine casualties on various 30k scenic bases are good to use too if you can get hold of them.

Edited by Tichinde

I made these Objective Markers several years back and they incorporate a battery powered LED tea light that cycles through a spectrum of colours.

RRmd0uf.png

These were made 2" round because that was something of a standard in previous editions, but I'm not sure if that's still as much of a factor.

Check out page 35 of Legion Rising if you're interested in seeing how they assemble. I was making them as a kit for a while but the moulds don't last very long before the parts start to warp slightly and then the thread mechanism that turns the LEDs on and off start to slip, so I'm trying to solve that problem.

Around here people tend to use 32mm bases a lot (if not just the promotional Kill Team markers GW put out) just because they want space for models to move in and hold the objective (which can get weird with elaborate, large markers). We've also experimented with some success in placing a clear plastic disc under any marker to show the entire control area, which has been working pretty well. If you're going for decorated markers though, I'd say use whatever size you need to use to pull off your vision.

I'm making all my objective markers on 40mm bases, just to make it more obvious to players (both myself and my opponent) where they are.

For those missions which have that one single objective marker (that can't move), I'm thinking of making it bigger, specifically the head of a Warlord Titan (unsure which one I want to use):
99560108138_WarlordTitanHead04.jpg

99560108147_LuciusPatternHead01.jpg

Not sure if it'll fit on a 50mm base or if I'll need to go to a 60mm, but I am 100% sure I want to do that.

Hmm, I just toyed around and made them on 40mm and some VIP sorts on 32mm's. It makes them easy to see with a simple colour scheme so that it's easy to differentiate and find on a battlefield but not too obvious. Simple stuffbut it works for me.

gallery_107230_14721_3877.jpg

My trolling

And some days I just like trolling some of my opponents who take things a liiiiittle too seriously while building lists ridiculously. And I out myself to a few friends as a 'fan' of stuff. Anyway, my 32mm based VIP's.

gallery_107230_14721_25477.jpg

I'm making all my objective markers on 40mm bases, just to make it more obvious to players (both myself and my opponent) where they are.

For those missions which have that one single objective marker (that can't move), I'm thinking of making it bigger, specifically the head of a Warlord Titan (unsure which one I want to use):

Not sure if it'll fit on a 50mm base or if I'll need to go to a 60mm, but I am 100% sure I want to do that.

This would be so flippin' epic, what a great idea.

This would be so flippin' epic, what a great idea.

That (and the Javelin for Sableclaw) will probably be my Forge World order for next month more than likely.

Interesting, what would be the maximum number of objective markers you need if you were making them?

Six I think. I keep producing some more, because some are looking like they fit in the open field more and some more like indoor objectives. going to put some pics up on sunday when I have time.

One fun idea I discovered accidentally is that if you make objective markers with removable number signifiers, they can sometimes double as wound markers for large models. Figured it out with my "stack of skulls" objective markers when playing with my Custodes.