Project: Steel of Ages

= INVESTIGATION LOG, XANOV VII, ENTRY I =
= ZEPHANIAH ADRIYEN, FABRICATOR-GENERAL, FORGE WORLD RAGNARUS =
= BEGIN LOG =

I have dispatched a small force of Skitarii, as well as Arch-Magos Friederich Coltan to investigate what is reportedly an ancient techno-vault, possibly left behind from before the Age of Strife. These reports come from Captain Valeriano of the Crimson Knights IV Company, and are being kept under encrypted channels only.

I will personally be attending the investigation after the immediate area around the vault is confirmed to be clear of hostiles, heretical, mutant and xenos alike.

= END LOG =

= INVESTIGATION LOG, XANOV VII, ENTRY II =
= BEGIN LOG =

Astonishing. Upon opening the vault, we have discovered something phenomenal. A small army of Men of Iron, completely without processing equipment. It has been confirmed that not one of them is equipped with abominable intelligence of any variety, and that all of them are otherwise fully functional. There are 40 Men of Iron in all, each equipped identically with an ancient pattern of Assault Cannon, as well as a power claw. I intend to take up the project of bringing these bodies to bear in warfare against the enemies of the Imperium, and I dub it Project Steel of Ages.

= END LOG =

= PROJECT LOG, STEEL OF AGES, ENTRY I =
= BEGIN LOG =

Operations regarding Project Steel of Ages are going smoothly as they can be. I have personally transplanted the neural faculties of several Skitarii Vanguard Alphas into a small number of the bodies acquired from the vault, and each one has stood, walked and destroyed as ordered; it seems Project Steel of Ages is a success thus far.

We have, in addition, found a functional STC allowing us to produce additional "brainless" Men of Iron. This is phenomenal, as it allows us to experiment endlessly. We have sent our findings to Mars, as well, so our brethren in other Forge Worlds may benefit from this new type of Skitarii.

= END LOG =

= PROJECT LOG, STEEL OF AGES, ENTRY II =

= BEGIN LOG =

I have begun preparations to allow me to remotely manipulate a single one of these bodies, allowing me to fight alongside my allies in the Crimson Knights, as well as to watch over my armies of House Astor and Forge World Ragnarus itself. In this body, I shall be ever-present on the battlefield, yet never in any danger. Ancient Assault Cannons and Power Claws are quite lethal when used properly, and I shan't risk my own life for the sake of my armies. However, I feel that my intelligence and ability could be quite useful and quite deadly on the battlefield. Thus, I shall join my armies in the defense of Mankind and the service of the Omnissiah, on the battlefield itself.

= END LOG =

• 2 weeks later...

= PROJECT LOG, STEEL OF AGES, ENTRY III =

= BEGIN LOG =

I have dubbed the division of my personnel responsible for caring for the fruits of Steel of Ages the Legio Gladiax. I have divided them into three categories.

The Tech-Priests who undergo the Gladiax transformation and take on the form of these most ancient destroyers are known as Tech-Priests Gladiax, and are assigned only to Gladiax divisions. They wield their Omnissian axes still with pride, as well as a standard plasma pistol attached to a servo-arm rather than utilizing the power claw or assault cannon native to the design.

The Skitarii who are transformed are known as Gladiax Sagitarii, and are equipped with either their ancient Assault Cannons or Plasma Calivers, and are unified as a squad in their weapon; the Alpha equivalent is a Praefectus Sagitarii, whose armaments are unchanged from the standard for their squad. Deploy in squads of five to ten, with one Praefectus.

Finally, the Gladiax Frumentarii make up the melee division, exchanging their assault cannons for power swords, for improved melee ability, at the expense of no ranged attack. These are transformed from Ragnarus' Sicarian divisions. The former Sicarian Princeps are known as Praefectus Frumentarii. To be deployed in squads of five to ten, with a single Praefectus at the head.

In addition to the three major divisions of Gladiax are my own personal guard, known as the Gladiax Palatinae. These elite soldiers are transformed from the ranks of my own acolytes. Each squad of Palatinae is lead by one of my own remotely controlled bodies, known as Venators Palatinae. The Venators are my eyes and ears, effectively acting as remote avatars for me, so I may lead my warriors into battle. They are deployed in squads of five, no more, no less, counting the Venator.

= END LOG =

= PROJECT LOG, STEEL OF AGES, ENTRY IV =

= BEGIN LOG =

Initial field tests of the Legio Gladiax have gone extremely well. We chose a known outpost of Lord Leviathan's armies to test against, and deployed the following:

Two Tech-Priests Gladiax,

One squad of Gladiax Palatinae, with Venator (five Gladiax total),

Three squads Gladiax Sagitarii (fifteen Gladiax),

And three squads Gladiax Frumentarii (also fifteen Gladiax).

The strike force slaughtered the enemy as though they were insects. We are intending to deploy Gladiax soldiers across a large array of engagements from this point forward.

= END LOG =