Red Corsairs (And other Renegades)

Way back I had this Renegades army that has seen itself changed to Khorne Daemonkin, and then been lost and forgotten while I play Black Legion.

Now with the Red Corsair CP shenanigans Ive been re-purposing them for a battalion, and having my own fun messing around with all my now-oop bitz. (cheaper than getting the new range and bloating my unfinished collection!)

I've had this FW astral claws character, Armenneus Valthex for awhile, never found the right fit for him (and making him into a warpsmith was sort of daunting) But I've had a crack at it. He is usually wielding two electro-whips like Rourke in Iron man 2, I've found a place for them in little nibs on his chest, just gotta hair-dryer them into place.

gallery_100761_15439_83282.jpg

First basic 5 man with autocannon is missing their autocannon dude. trying to keep wysiwyg with CSM equipment, so bolter and bp or holstered with grenades for all... sarge has bolter on backpack (gotta find places for that backpack)

gallery_100761_15439_307353.jpg

5 man with combi-bolter and chaincannon, keeping it Khorne! With bolters! That's the old school way where carnage in any form was welcome by the Red Bastard. Any model with a non-chainsword CC weapon is just meant to be be using their base attacks (again, axe dude here has bolter on backpack)

gallery_100761_15439_176841.jpg

10 man expensive CC squad! Combi-melta! 2 Meltas! Power fist! Might even get a banner in there! This is my redeploy stratagem squad.

gallery_100761_15439_331239.jpg

Next plan is a Biker lord with Thunder hammer, and start cleaning up paintjobs all over to become a bit more complete and consistent.

I made the mistake of using vallejo acrylic-polyurethane primer with a brush (as most primer was on various odds and ends) but it seems weak and I Accidently scratched some off a dude too easily, crap.

Edited by Syrakul

Great start, love the Valthex conversion. Will you be doing Huron Blackheart?

Honestly, the idea never came to me, as I’d have to either convert from scratch or buy finecast (blah)

This started as a red17 concept but had me thinking “how can I also make the battalion feel useful, and not just placeholder for cp 8”

So I’ve also got on the burner:

Contemptor conversion with 2 butcher cannons (already have this build for BL but why not have 2?)

Lord on bike, combi-melta, Thunder hammer

5 bikes, 2 meltas, combi-melta, chainswords

3 spawn

After trial and error I realized two sets of pliers held on the tentacles ends and bending underwater worked best. At first I was removing from hot water but it instantly lost heat and became un-malleable.

gallery_100761_15439_298696.jpeg

Got this dudes hand into position around the huge old bolter (from berserker pushfits). Love what a unit this dude is.

gallery_100761_15439_180356.jpeg

Now you got me thinking of how to scrap up a Huron, this was to be a hanmerlord but now that im going bikelord, figure why not use him for a Huron conversion. Works well with terminator arms so going with terminator lord claw/poweraxe. Not sure what head to go with though, might start with helmetless bloodwarrior crazy head and fudge the bionics on, i have a lot of space in the neck region Ive got to hide.

gallery_100761_15439_66867.jpeg

Edited by Syrakul

So i had some time to add to huron, making his Tyrants claw from lord lightning claw, and using a blood warrior head. Everything still needs work; tiny flamer muzzle, more cables then GS the khorne mark on his forehead, some cables in his leg damage, some alien bling on his tabard etc.

I can’t source an iron halo, is it only in the captain box? Not an SM player. Most of this model is pinned together atm so I can work on it.

gallery_100761_15439_226616.jpeg

Also a bikelord. Shame his size is limited by the legs. Need to find some unique design for his bile front, that accommodates both a storm bolter and combi-melta.

gallery_100761_15439_66321.jpeg

Edited by Syrakul

I see Red Corsairs, I click and take a look. Very interesting so far and can't wait till Huron's done!!

Great use of the Valthex model btw! Besides he's still alive and well as a Red Corsair.

• 2 weeks later...

This Huron is stalled a bit thanks to all the fiddly work involved. Instead of being 100% the same as real model Im keeping more of a faithful recreation. I'm no longer happy with my top circle as its way too tall, and wasn't wide enough to match the typical profile, though ill fix it up and keep it until I can have it on his back proper to see.

gallery_100761_15439_65930.jpg

gallery_100761_15439_99220.jpg

gallery_100761_15439_400455.jpg

My Bro got a ton of GW hardback novels from a friend leaving the country, and passed me the 'Tyrant of the Hollow Worlds' novel just last week. Its about the Red Corsairs conquering? a 'Video game plot device' network of ancient techo planets. Anyways reading the fluid descriptions of their fighting style really helps me feel this model more.

My attention is divided as I just got a parts order in the mail to work on my BL but I hope to get him done at least in the next week.

Also about the book, it shows Valthex as a Corsair on the cover art and hes still rocking his original weapon loadout... crap.

For posterities sake, here is my Greater Daemon conversion that I run as a Khorne Daemon Prince.

Winged daemon prince of Khorne 2

Winged daemon prince of Khorne

This is a Contemptor made from leftovers really, but he matches this army better than my BL I'd like to add some shoulderpads and bulk out the hips more convincingly but having trouble finding appropriate bits. tried fitting chaos chariot parts, shields etc. best would be DP shoulderpads if I could get some, but might scratch something up.

Renegade contemptor wip 2

Renegade contemptor wip

Edited by Syrakul

• 1 year later...

So after leaving this for my BL, then all the craziness of moving contries during COVID, I've managed to get the bug for some melee butcher CSM.

Here is Huron painted (ive since changed his chest eyes and some other bits like the head scar)

gallery_100761_15439_365912.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_949299.jpeg

And lots of work on my Biker champion, now merely a tricked out Biker squad champion

gallery_100761_15439_57359.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_352915.jpeg

Some kitbashed spawn I put together in the last week or so, in order of creation:

gallery_100761_15439_127199.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_122157.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_209728.jpeg

And their long-suffering buddies they will join for a squad of 5

gallery_100761_15439_204123.jpeg

The first of my new kitbashing started by throwing this dude together, really gave me the bug to keep converting more and more stuff.

and here they are together:

gallery_100761_15439_260466.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_63186.jpeg

I wanted to use a box of mk3 marines for parts... but also had in mind long ago a Mk3 squad wielding FW autocannons I had. So to not miss out on needed bits started them up instead.

I want them to have a more mercenary renegade look to them, so that Ican shoehorn them into either of my CSM armies where needed. I want to bling them up, without mutations or any long bits that makes them hard to store.

gallery_100761_15439_1136852.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_499100.jpeg

Picked up some of the old Obliterators from FB buy/sell page. I've never owned them before but thought they could look alright if the legs were extended and given some chunkier weapons.

I used a combo of box-cutter and a crappy USB powered hobby saw to chop the legs at the hips and knees, then used 1.5mm malleable garden wire as pins to get the pose steady. Will need some gs work of course to stabilize and fill

gallery_100761_15439_540845.jpeg

Added some bits to give the feel of the new models

gallery_100761_15439_221084.jpeg

The posing took a bit because chunky metal parts are a pain, tomorrow hope to stabilize on a base and get first gs pass down.

Then need to decide on a head. Not sure where to go with that, could be just old csm helm wedged in or a possessed one. Might even do Primaris/mk4 if i can find one with bionic eye, or any bionic SM head I guess.

Edited by Syrakul

Like the classic obies.

Nice beefing up.

My regular opponent played them a lot. Like the centurions they suffer from stuntie syndrome

Yep I love the conversion of the centurions making them taller with adjusted shoulders and downplayed weapons,

Regular ones not so much.

I'm nearly certain with this height adjustment this guy is as tall as the new ones, not as chunky of course. Dreading redoing all this work on the other one I've got.

Ive done the basic gs on this guy, gotta wait for that then just figure out a head...

I'm totally out of SM bionic eye heads of all flavours so might do menacing human face blended in the cavity with gs

Also these are what i run as obliterators for my 30k-esque black legion, these are actually quite big (40mm bases) so stack up well even with the new ones

gallery_100761_13599_19556.jpeg

Edited by Syrakul

Here is continued work on the obliterator and his base

gallery_100761_15439_400884.jpeg

He actually come up pretty well compared to the new one (from photos found online) and happy to say my prev conversions are still a good match as well (minus the CC options)

gallery_100761_15439_202146.jpeg

Finally here are some other quick HQs to round out the list. Other two metals I just got along with 2 identical oblits, so just cleaned these up.

I've now got quite the selection of HQs for this army! Huron, Termi-lord, This cheapo lord w/axe and plas, DP, this metal 'master of executions', This quick Dark Apostle, have a master of possession on sprue.

gallery_100761_15439_614360.jpeg