Red Corsairs (And other Renegades)

I really like some of the stuff you are doing here. The work to convert the old obliterater is very good. Reminds me that I have one of those in my bits box that I started to convert into a Nurgle lord in terminator armour. Maybe with the new codex coming I should dig him out.

I really like some of the stuff you are doing here. The work to convert the old obliterater is very good. Reminds me that I have one of those in my bits box that I started to convert into a Nurgle lord in terminator armour. Maybe with the new codex coming I should dig him out.

Thanks! Yea seeing it at this stage is helping my motivation to get the other one done. All these conversions are well and good but painting is always a project killer for me so when i get this stuff primed we will see what gets done!

OK, so In the past i used the wings from a zombie dragon for my Beast Chaos GD, then was left with a wingless zombie dragon... would it look like a giant rat built up? What good would it be as conversion fodder? Well finally bit the bullet on my converting holiday to do the forgefiend conversion I always forsaw this could be, just in time for fiend buffs in 9th.

gallery_100761_15439_216190.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_422479.jpeg

Im a bit lazy and out of appropriate bits for this, first i mostly assembled it straight then started looking at what could be crammed on.

I do have some gundam piston bits to recreate some of the assistive motorwork on the forgefiend limbs and plenty of DE talos bits to spruce it up, but not so many chaos detail bits at this scale.

With all my recent conversions I'm just going in and not too worried if its not perfect, just wanna have fun with it and use up what kits I can!

More work on the forgefiend, got some gubbins inside the neck and found a decent way of mounting the guns on his back (DV helbrute legs)

Before more glue I've got to do some Greenstuff gap filling to strengthen gun arms and add flesh to the left arm. Its going to have fingers from the zombie dragon, grabbing some terrain debris, similar to the zombie dragon grabbing a tall rock

gallery_100761_15439_1580079.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_1308160.jpeg

The only thing wrong with this plog is the new-school colour scheme. I miss the 2nd ed 'loyalists with red crosses' aesthetic.

Have to say, Helbrute legs as gun mounts is not one I expected to ever see. Nice work!

Dragonlover

The only thing wrong with this plog is the new-school colour scheme. I miss the 2nd ed 'loyalists with red crosses' aesthetic.

Have to say, Helbrute legs as gun mounts is not one I expected to ever see. Nice work!

Dragonlover

Well how long would SM bother to rock that look? I've always been interested in learning what technology marines and their serfs have for repairing and embellishing armor, I'd imagine some sort of paint guns/chemical mixes would be so fast/strong/simple, renegades could replace their former chapter colors in a heartbeat

TLDR: don't think SM have trouble replacing their forsaken chapter colors

I COULD see them possibly keeping some former chapter embellishments and sectional colors to share comradery or to taunt loyalists... like the dude rocking iron warriors colors above, and a few blood angles as well. If you are trying to get me to paint... it helps.

Just glad a dragonlover is OK with my adjustments :D

This is looking really good! I confess I was sceptical at first as I could see the similarity in size but I couldn’t see how you would get enough into it to be convincing as a daemon engine.

Well done so far.

This is looking really good! I confess I was sceptical at first as I could see the similarity in size but I couldn’t see how you would get enough into it to be convincing as a daemon engine.

Well done so far.

Thanks! Yea cramming bits inside so they feel locked in is challenging at this stage. The legs/back end need lots of work after all the buildup on the top, the waist/legs need some real mechanization to even it out. Then working armor on his back without chopping up the spine and leaving room for smokestacks

So I had a dilemma on how to complete the back with no good large shell parts, until i realized my titanicus stuff has a fair few extras... and like tobias at the magazine stand i had a moment:

gallery_100761_15439_121445.jpeg

Look at all these PARTS!

So how to arrange them in an adequate manner took lots of dry fitting but im going with this:

gallery_100761_15439_417258.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_872690.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_478316.jpeg

So again need to really get some work on the back legs whoch are quite feeble after all this goes on. Overall I'm OK with these plates, no use going back and fourth of layouts too long. Reaver shoulder plates over the hips, warhound lower leg plates for the thighs etc. I'm looking to squeeze one more of those smoke stacks onto the lower plate just above the grills

Edit: just thought of an idea with the warlord heads, can use the rounded forehead part as hip shield with the ear gubbinz as hipbone actuators...

Edited by Syrakul

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome stuff man, so many creative and badass conversions. My favourite is the oblit, I didn't think that model could ever look good but you've nailed it.

How was assembling the autocannon havocs? When I put them together with the old CSM it was a total PITA, had to shave bits off the torso and arms, lost my patience many many times, the lascannon ones were worse with those cables!

Your basing is really creative too, giving me some ideas.

Awesome stuff man, so many creative and badass conversions. My favourite is the oblit, I didn't think that model could ever look good but you've nailed it.

How was assembling the autocannon havocs? When I put them together with the old CSM it was a total PITA, had to shave bits off the torso and arms, lost my patience many many times, the lascannon ones were worse with those cables!

Your basing is really creative too, giving me some ideas.

Thank you! Yep for the havocs and other finicky builds I sometimes pin joins so they are sturdy but can rotate or bend a bit when attaching other dependent locations. The mk3 right-handed forearm need to be trimmed a bit too to fit.

Ive built the lascannon as well and definitely pinned the cable into the gun and pack then hairdryer to bend the pack into place and the cable into natural position.

The mk3 arms also sometimes have details carved out on inside arm where it hugs the chest, also indicates where the designers expected it to be to lineup with left arm.

Left arm last with lots of forgiving shoulderpad placement to hide sins

The basing on these guys isn't even my best, gone easy on it using the imperialis bases, usually spend half the time decorating rubble bases with cork, bits, sand etc.

Just takes so much time. Ill try for some nice rubble buildup on the forgefiend because I want him to match my other armies.

I really really want to spray-base these dudes so i can paint some of the new stuff i built but its winter and new apt I'm not sure where I can do it without being a total dork in public

Here is everything so far:

gallery_100761_15439_73154.jpeg

I mentioned I had some other possessed painted, got some photos of em, all i did recently is put them on 32mm and repaint. Simple basing job with astrogranite

gallery_100761_15439_112796.jpeg

Some work on new possessed. Used warpfiend grey on the fleshy parts

gallery_100761_15439_169134.jpeg

And had to give this guy a go, i call him the Dualist

gallery_100761_15439_1168036.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_807424.jpeg

I'm not planning on knocking anyones socks off with my painting level, just happy to be painting something!

Continuing on, this is a dark apostle from DV chosen character? This one in particuliar was second-hand, already primed and overbrushed almost evil sunz scarlet. I hate having models waiting in components so based him up and possessed backpack and bam!

gallery_100761_15439_565420.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_127439.jpeg

And for at least one model I wanted to diverge from typical Red Corsairs and try murder lords red/black armour.

gallery_100761_15439_232626.jpeg

Edited by Syrakul

I'm pretty sure there's more people using that guy as a Dark Apostle than there are as a Chosen. Such a cool sculpt, although having painted my conversion of it I'm glad the CSM update toned down the amount of stuff going on, those are some busy models.

Black and red guy looks good too, what are you running him as?

Dragonlover

Yea I mean they were chosen which GW has yet to make something for, but is still in line with new sculpt CSM, just dialed up to 11.

And other dude is possessed, one of 5 I recently converted I'm working through, least favourite conversion of the bunch.

Next on the docket in whatever order I decide on a whim, are:

3 possessed for the squad

3 spawn

3 bikes

And last greater possessed

Good job on the new models. Why is the Dark Apostle's left pauldron so bumpy? Because it mutated into fleshmetal, and grew bony spikes or cancerous tumors? If it's wreathed in sorcerous flames, the flames should be a different color, to stand out against the red armor.

Well the model typically has a small mutant/daemon growing out of it but this one in particular had the little hand fingers broken off when i got it.

Really just an exercise in painting Bloodforthebloodgod over it as a sort of mutant khorne mark. Question is how high to paint highlights before that paint goes over to show range. In this case evil sunz->fire orange->palid wych (good for fire white) THEN undiluted blood paint which really tones it all down.

In the end its just another odd bit of chaos detailing

• 4 weeks later...

So I DID finished the remaining possessed, but started running out of steam on them. Id like to detour towards those Havocs shown previously; and I got a whole idea for a mixed forced mercenary themed chaos warband.

The idea is a raptor-esque chaos renegade force that sells their services as experts at looting and maintaining a large swath of imperial war materiel, with mixed leadership between both human and astartes (defected imperial commanders). I don't even know the state of renegades and heretics at the moment but I loved using elites (marauders, disciples) and heavy support like russes and basilisks. The elite units i converted never fully saw paint, so ill be rolling some marine units into it and painting a bit.

Checking out the difference between washing with nuln oil and reikland fleshshade. marine is nuln oil, marauder is reikland.

gallery_100761_15439_132243.jpggallery_100761_15439_38504.jpg

gallery_100761_15439_261659.jpggallery_100761_15439_595230.jpg

i like the nuln oil, but it could be just be the cleaner look of the marine armor doing it. Thinking I need a stronger asymetrical break, like full shoulderpad for markings as well. I will power through the 5 marauders, then try another sample marine with some greys added in.