Red Corsairs (And other Renegades)

The camo is very nicely done! It’s enough to convey the look you are going for without being to busy great job!

Thanks! but i might have gone overboard on the next ones...

Good job camouflaging the Marines' armor so they look like REAL soldiers fighting REAL wars, not children playing at war.

Comments always appreciated but sometimes I cant tell if you are serious or not...

So I got more done, but made that crucial mistake of OVER washing... thats right I slathered on the nuln oil, forgetting the rule that you cant trust the color till its dry.

had to go over with a palid wych drybrush to try balancing it.

gallery_100761_15439_119617.jpg

gallery_100761_15439_278172.jpg

And nearly the last few, to make out the rest of the vanguard, (also need about 4 more of my old R&H disciples to complete a lascannon disciple squad)

gallery_100761_15439_561349.jpg

Then I will get onto the actual Havoc Squad I built that kicked off this detour. My thinking with this detour is exploring another angle to the pirate theme. Thinking these dudes go by the name of 'Steel Jackals' or 'Iron Vultures' and are undivided renegades that operate in real-space. Their expertise in Imperial munition and materiel gathering comes from deep militarum infiltration within the officer classes. Their greatest plots involve having turned officers defect, jettisoning or hull-breaching the unloyal crew of their tithe-laden warships, then joining the cause of wealthy infamy on the fringes of imperial space.

Possessing a wealth of modern imperial armament, they sell their expertise in imperial logistics and trade routes, armament and tactics to Chaos warlords looking for easy scores in imperial space. In return they receive protection, prestige and the advancement of their ranks.

Edited by Syrakul

About the recent renegades, so the dark tan camo and black/white/red of their iconography, is giving the wrong vibe. Im not a fan of having a Hugo Boss inspired army, or anything resembling his famous clients. I want something with a modern air or sort of 'British royal company' but more obviously chaos pirates. Stuff about the typical feudal inspired cultural designs of the imperium, but a bit retrograde.

Also tried a few animal motifs but no way Id be painting them accurately over 10+ models.

So I challenge you, dear reader, to express your opinion. Also thought about similar colors but like blood claw triangles, really im open to other ideas at this point

gallery_100761_15439_555430.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_884433.jpeg

Also put together the last chosen, including a big boy! Is he a renegade primaris, or just really tall, who can say?

gallery_100761_15439_663524.jpeg

And new head for renegade commander, more of a von strab vibe.

gallery_100761_15439_103904.jpeg

Yea forget all that, definitely going with 'Steel Jackals', which has enough conjurations that fit the theme, and the emblem (with future embellishments maybe) is the metallic/red quartering which is close but not quite the same as other word bearers/world eaters/red corsairs colors.

Battle cry is 'Blood and Steel' which un-ironically could also mean to 'blood, and steal' against the enemy.

gallery_100761_15439_534554.jpeg

Edited by Syrakul

I applaud your decision; I was going to say that while I like the red and gold it was too reminiscent of the Howling Griffons for me; also Blood and Steel is very 40K (while hopefully avoiding too much of a symbiosis with those real-world resonances you wanted to avoid...)

Thanks! Yea with some additional shading on the red/metals it comes out nicely. Ive tried adding a symbol in the middle but it muddies the clean join of the squares...

So here you can see the majority of the Human troops (actually all elite choices in R&H), all having either marauder-like conversions, or most with a mix of cadian, cultist and scion helmets and daggers, as my command and disciples (veteran guardsmen with BS/WS 3+)

gallery_100761_15439_1186134.jpg

Why I'm doing this now is... it's more interesting at the moment then Corsairs. I've actually had a look at the FW R&H [Legends] rules and I gotta admit they fixed and streamlined the rules for them. Its still inferior to IG but its good to still have access to those units (and tanks). If I want to add the Chosen/Havocs along with the disciples standing in for cultists to fill out my Red Corsairs I could run pure CSM, and just claim the same trait (just look different). If i want to actually include R&H for cheap plasma/HW and tanks, I'd do a vanguard/patrol of R&H, and use some cheaper plasma spam in the form of these marauders/command squads.

Edit : I'd like to add that yes, I had all these R&H converted up from 7th/8th but like most of my stuff I never went far in painting it. That is what I'm hoping to remedy with my current interest in painting. Let's see how far that gets me, now getting them all up to 3CB first then camo/wash then detailing

Also photos of the last possessed:

gallery_100761_15439_218394.jpg

gallery_100761_15439_17400.jpeg

Edited by Syrakul

Some work on the next groups of Elite R&H, sniper marauders and disciples/command squads

The sniper marauders mostly pre-wash, missing some mustaches and black splotches, ive done more greens here to differ them as a squad. Marauders used to choose from better in CC, 4+ armour, and camocloaks, but now they have all three options so some of these dudes are now a bit under-armoured.

gallery_100761_15439_381771.jpeg

And a group of various disciples, missing washes. I should probably clean up the eye lenses...

gallery_100761_15439_469542.jpeg

Thanks! its fun doing the camo. I've since washed them but truth be told doing models 'the fast way' with total wash, lazy over highlight with pallid wych flesh is making them have a more busy/lazy appearance. I think Agrax would have been a better wash... but i don't have any!

A reminder this is a red corsairs thread: A lot of nice berserker conversion projects on the forums lately, thought I'd fix up a model:

gallery_100761_15439_562759.jpeg

Snipers nearly done, but gotta keep momentum!

gallery_100761_15439_1036381.jpeg

Also took an old necromunda telekenetic, hand already clipped so perfectly in need of barehands (of profile) but couldn't part with the maul, could be just a psyker staff

gallery_100761_15439_128433.jpeg

As for the paint scheme, thinking about alternate for the disciples, who look different by their black armour. Left is a test of steel/camo armour config.

gallery_100761_15439_451146.jpeg

And some shield variations:

gallery_100761_15439_24111.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Let's get moving on the havocs!

gallery_100761_15439_270654.jpeg

Reeally unsure how the whole camo-marine thing is going. Its certainly having the effect of making the whole think bleh for me... thought not stopping now.

Works well as variant camo on vehicles. This was already painted to this level for a while, just added the shield and got a shot of it here.

gallery_100761_15439_360766.jpeg

I've been taking time to work on some terrain I built for skirmish/necromunda. Just had one kits worth of the old imperialis stuff, mixed it with tamiya 1/48 brick walls.

gallery_100761_15439_140690.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_83362.jpeg

And some other bits: the smaller parts from warcry set, and a few other small debris made with imperials stuff.

I primed them, then thought they are a bit too light/small for their own good so today i chopped some mdf to size for tight bases for them. The pipes roll is from aluminum foil

gallery_100761_15439_183575.jpeg

some Japanese dollar store storage boxes painted vallejo greyish blue, incubi/thunderhawk, and orange-tinted averland sunset.

Ive started an atyempt at weathering, just a bit rough with some standard GW browns

gallery_100761_15439_91657.jpeg

I used some tamiya weather powders on these, by actually wetting a large brush and mixing a good bit onto it:

I tried really smearing on, wiping off and letting dry. This was the darkest green shade but it dries into a lighter color

gallery_100761_15439_54715.jpeg

These ones. Various models brown bases have had some tested on them, trying to figure out a color scheme for them but i dont have many colors or experience with powders so unsure where it will end up.

gallery_100761_15439_271404.jpeg

A selection of disciples, some prev seen I suppose, trying to get to all the little eye-lenses and bits, just jumping around models a bit at a time.

gallery_100761_15439_179800.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_98964.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_137108.jpeg

oh this malefic lord isn't supposed to have a metal skull cap... but sorta thought it when under the brush

The Chosen and Havocs for the CSM contingent.

gallery_100761_15439_94315.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_138099.jpeg

Edited by Syrakul

• 2 weeks later...

Had a break from 40k for a bit, then wanted to build something as i wait for some paints and pigments to arrive.

Needed a lord of some type for my Steel Jackals, but again my bits box isnt where I want it in terms of character legs/torsos. First off thought I would buy some new primaris char to convert but instead went for a bitz dive to knock one out instead. As I already have the chosen champ with primaris legs i was apprehensive to have a smaller-stature lord but ill swap their bases later to balance their stature.

gallery_100761_15439_837957.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_335920.jpeg

gallery_100761_15439_486296.jpeg

So realized I could'nt take a basic bolter, swapped the gun hand with 'come-on' pose

Torso: FW SoH, head:AoS chaos warriors, sword from headtaker