Shadowspear CSM Squad Loadout

Thanks to a friend, I was able to get a Shadowspear box. I'm in the process of assembling the Chaos side, and I'm working on the CSM squad now.

I'm curious as to its makeup. It seems odd to me. Is there any in-game benefit for having a mix of Bolter Marines and Close-combat Marines in the unit? If CSM could Combat squad, I could see having the 4 Close-combat Marines and the Champion break off for their own squad, leaving the rest as firesupport. Sadly, they cant.

I'm thinking of getting one of the new CSM kits and with the Shadowspear unit, making one unit with Bolters, and then the other close-combat.

And no, I wont ever run MSU... 10+ man units or nothing at all. I detest MSU with a passion, thanks to 3.5-4e...

No there's no benefit. It's just a squad designed for looks instead of performance. Try to get more Bolter or CCW from elsewhere and build them all with one or the other if you care about WYSIWYG and performance.

You can always run the Chainsword models are Berzerkers. It's completely possible to have Berzerkers that were never World Eaters or their successors. What we think of as "Berzerker helmets" actually show a lineage to the World Eaters, so an other legion or Warband might not even have those helmets.

Get some spare jump packs and make them raptors? It's what I plan to do.

Problem with that is, if you get actual raptors the CSM ones will be way more swole than the actual raptor models. Also you would have to raise the CSM to be raptor height because some would say "modeling for advantage" even if you are not.