Brother Elysium's Hobby Blog; Primaris LT Base complete

I knocked another planet out over the last couple of nights. These are incredibly simple, but all in all I think they are coming out well. This one was a bit smaller than the Iron rich red soiled planet, and I based it with Adeptus Mechanicus Grey. The geographic features and Asteroids were added with Astrogranite Debris. It gave the planet a nice two tone look.

Q29rlKy.jpg

oEhvJkt.jpg

I then dry-brushed the entire surface with Dawnstone. 

MCYsRpm.jpg

fHc5WjB.jpg

Lastly I did a really have dry-brush of Adiminstratum Grey. The Dawnstone didn't pop like I had hoped, so I really hit this coat heavily to make the features pop. I used the same shish kebab skewer for the stem and attached it to a 40mm base. Then I hit it with some Matte Varnish to seal it. The lighting is kind of bad for the final stages, but I am going to get a pic of everything in my light box once I complete this BFG project. 

Gn5dWdd.jpg

flqsDWe.jpg

Tonight/this weekend I am going to work on some Chaos worlds or more of my fleet. I haven't decided, but there should be an update if a few days.

I was going to continue to work on my BFG Word Bearers fleet and I did finish the base coat on my Despoiler battleship, but, I ended up pledging to complete two of my Sternguard for the "Sons of Dorn Expansion VI". I converted and posted them a while back. The other three members of their squad were also completed and posted a while back. I am going to post a refresher pic of them below for those of you that would like to see them and not have to scroll through the entire thread. 

Last night I didn't get a ton done, but I did get the old airbrush out, and get their base coats on them. I then washed them in 75% Nuln Oil 25% Lahmian Medium to dull down how bright and vibrant the Kantor Blue is. I really think it helps give them a slightly worn look and helps the highlights be much more vibrant compared to the rest of the model. I then worked on the bases, and they are almost done. I need to do one more highlight on the stone areas, then do the metal trim. I will probably put some type of effect around the piping to make it look like the broken pipe is leaking. 

Here are the 3 members I already completed. All of these have been converted from the Space Marine Heroes Line.

RBvI1vp.jpg

Here are the ones I was working on last night. There is a Vet Sergeant with a Power Fist, and another member of the squad with his converted Bolter.

qwhU8s6.jpg

ZHZILHP.jpg

sy3lwAz.jpg

1K3AQ3K.jpg

I didn't get a whole lot of painting done this weekend, but I did get the bases done on each Vet, and started on the first highlight. I need to touch the highlight up in a couple of spots as it's a bit sloppy. :wallbash:  The bases look pretty cool. I'll paint the beveled edge once the model is totally done and I am not taking it in and out of the GW clamps. 

1zheyCl.jpg

ZYMvwdH.jpg

s5DGcZm.jpg

nYfWW0r.jpg

zchE0YH.jpg

gAppgzn.jpg

I am going to try an finish the 2nd and 3rd highlights tonight and start on the silver and gold detail work. 

Edited by Brother Eleysium

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a little while since I have posted, but I have been doing a little work on my Sternguard. They are nearing completion, and I am very excited to share the finished product soon. In the meantime here are some WIP of the last couple of days:

WnH2PHX.jpg

Hu03tPz.jpg

dXVr5cL.jpg

ZNKV4YO.jpg

Pxb6sP5.jpg

QWBdPji.jpg

I should hopefully have these completed tonight and I am going to start working on some Devastators. What are crimson Fists without heavy weapons? I did a few conversions on them, and I also converted my anniversary Primaris Lieutenant Jovan for use with my Fists. Nothing too major, but it gave him a bit of his own unique flavor. I will post some completion pics of the Sternguard hopefully tomorrow, and will definitely post some WIP stuff on my Dev conversions as well as my Jovan. 

It's been a long time coming, but my Sternguard are FINALLY done. Unfortunately I suffered a seemingly pretty severe knee injury recently, and it's really put a damper on my painting, hobbying, and my mood. I had an MRI this morning to determine the results. 

Anyways... Without further ado, my Sternguard are below. I feel as though the faces and some of the detail level on the final two are some of my best work yet. I am going to start working on some Devastators with Heavy Bolters this evening, and or build some Bolter marines for my Dev squads as well as a Dev squad Sergeant. 

8Y8MuAt.jpg

UD67WCv.jpg

Me0k8hj.jpg

5QlvINC.jpg

9QUUOJE.jpg

EfTPHTH.jpg

lRo1PcX.jpg

qMVOuPK.jpg

uLjLYWF.jpg

F78LBn0.jpg

I'm really happy to be back in the swing of things, and with the time off I have right now, and more than likely more to come in the future, I am going to spend a considerable amount of time trying to work on my massive backlog of models. Mainly Crimson Fists, but I do have some Tau, Black Legion, and a few other projects to work on. I am also getting the Sisters of Battle box on the 23rd when it launches in the states. I am unbelievably excited about that one. :)

They look excellent! Great painting!

Thank you, it felt really good to get back into the swing of things.

Looking great and lovely to see non-Primaris marines getting some love. Perfect shades of Crimson Fist blue and red IMO

I hear yah. As per my other comments, I am going to be working on some Devastators next, and then I do need to work on my Primaris Lieutenant I slightly converted from the Sergeant Jovan model. I'll be posting pics later today or tomorrow of my build sessions and or my Heavy Bolter Devs I am going to start on. Just depends on where the Spirit leads brother. 

You did a fantastic job love the detail you got on the vets. The red beard is amazing and love all the detail you got on the bases and the ork skull looks great and can’t wait to see the devs progress and keep up the great work glad you back to posting I missed reading your blog everyday. Love reading this can’t wait for more

Sorry to hear about the knee, but it sounds like you’re looking at the upside of having time off for hobby. I was recently in a very similar situation that also lead to time off. I intended to kickstart my own Crimson Fists project off but failed miserably.

Look to me as a cautionary tale brother and keep the brushes and hobby knife at the ready!!! I look to live vicariously through you. 

I do like all you presented here, from Crimson Fists to Death Watch to BFG.

Especially how you wrote the big words on some of the Fists, like "Dorn" etc, it replicated classic warhammer fonts perfectly!

Edited by Kyknos of Athena

You did a fantastic job love the detail you got on the vets. The red beard is amazing and love all the detail you got on the bases and the ork skull looks great and can’t wait to see the devs progress and keep up the great work glad you back to posting I missed reading your blog everyday. Love reading this can’t wait for more

Thank you very much, and I really appreciate you continuing to come back and check things out.

Awesome work!

Thanks Brother.

Sorry to hear about the knee, but it sounds like you’re looking at the upside of having time off for hobby. I was recently in a very similar situation that also lead to time off. I intended to kickstart my own Crimson Fists project off but failed miserably.

Look to me as a cautionary tale brother and keep the brushes and hobby knife at the ready!!! I look to live vicariously through you. 

Yeah, I get my results of my MRI tomorrow. I am keeping my fingers crossed it's not as severe as we originally thought, and praying hard. 

I will definitely head your warning if this all leads to extended amounts of time off, and definitely appreciate the advice. 

I do like all you presented here, from Crimson Fists to Death Watch to BFG.

Especially how you wrote the big words on some of the Fists, like "Dorn" etc, it replicated classic warhammer fonts perfectly!

Hah, thanks! I have to try and mix it up a bit to keep things fresh, otherwise I'll get burnt out. The upcoming Sisters release is going to lead me to change gears again, but I simply cannot wait after seeing the range.

So, as promised I had a build session over the last day or so. My Veteran Sergeant Jovann conversion is done(I didn't do a whole heck of a lot to change him)and he will not become a Crimson Fists Lieutenant. I am absolutely chomping at the bit to get him painted. Now I just need to come up with a name... :sweat:

ajih9gO.jpg

nCiWyJo.jpg

7bNvP4o.jpg

I also put some Bolter Marines together for my Devastator Squads I am working on. Nothing spectacular, but I am pretty pleased how the Veteran Sergeant came out. I've never done a kneeling pose on a Sergeant, or any other marine of any high rank, so it was a nice change I think. 

The rest of the squad came mainly from the standard Tactical Marine kits(old and newish)with a few bits from other kits thrown in here and there. 

I did some work on my first two Heavy Bolter Marines that I already had assembled and base coated tonight, and will post some pics of them tomorrow after a good day of painting is done. After I get these two done, I a going to break out the airbrush to get the rest of the squad based. They are primed and ready. I may take  a break in between the first two Heavy Bolter Marines to work on my Lieutenant. It's such a great model, so I literally can't wait to get some paint on him. 

HhTBzdn.jpg

3ZUbfOk.jpg

X2pPIfA.jpg

vMwaI2X.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice conversions they turned out really cool so far, you're a great painter looking forward to seeing them completed!

Thank you, I am finally getting them base coated tonight with the ole airbrush

I hope this message finds you well. How’s the knee and building/painting going?

It is recovering, I had to take a hiatus after my surgery, but i am back to it now. Thank you for the inquiry.

That Sergeant Jovan conversion looks ace man! Can't wait to see it painted.

After I knock out this first squad of Devs he's at the top of the list. I can't wait to start on him honestly.

I want to apologize to everyone that has been following the thread, I ended up having pretty intensive knee surgery on Dec 4th, and I have been kind of other the weather while I start the road to recovery. I was fortunate to feel well enough a few days to get some painting done. 

My Christmas present from my wife this year(which means I told her what I wanted and went and bought it :teehee: ) Was the Collectors Sisters Box. So, once I received it I finally painted my test model which ended up being the Limited Sister Superior Amalia Novena. I ended up going with the order of the Bloody Rose as I really enjoy their back story, their color scheme, and their style of fighting from reading the fluff. The new tactics and special rules they have in the Codex aren't bad either though. :D

I think instead of dry brushing the base on the remaining figures, I am going to go with a traditional highlight, but all in all I was semi-pleased with the model. Definitely A LOT of room for improvement on this scheme. I also need to get some pics of her in my light box as opposed to my messy old painting desk.

STaKBSb.jpg

aHWx1yd.jpg

hIuoP7p.jpg

aLXMCwg.jpg

I was also able to get 4 Devs done. 2 Heavy Bolter, and 2 Missile Launchers. I have had them in the queue for quite some time, so I wanted to go ahead and knock them out. Two of them came from the Space Marine Heroes Series 1, so I tried to give them a little extra flavor/character. I cannot wait to get the whole squad done. As soon as I do, I will get these guys in a light box as well and get some better shots. 

58z10jL.jpg

rLYdMhI.jpg

Mv4MTQF.jpg

pKOnOjc.jpg

4WrBEXz.jpg

lQXBLlN.jpg

UPTm73V.jpg

Again, I want to apologize to everyone for my absence, but as my condition continues to improve and I become a little more active and I am actually mobile, I should be back to posting daily. Thanks again to all that keep coming by to check things out. I should have some progress pics tomorrow/Thursday on the remaining Devs I have built. 

Glad to hear you are doing better and that your surgery went well hope your recovery is quick. Your devs and sister model look amazing the amount of detail you got on them it’s amazing. Are you excited for sister getting the new models and having new rules in 40k and kt? Can’t wait to see what you do with the rest keep it up sir

The base for the LT is done, and I am starting on the LT himself this evening. It honestly came out better than I expected, so I am stoked to get a finished product done, then switch back to Devs. I'll have some more WIP pics tomorrow.

I tried to give the Ork's eyes a grayish tone to replicate the graying of the eyes you see in most other living things postmortem. The remaining gore and blood splatter will be replicated across the rest of the Lt himself as well.

R8enbs6.jpg

88lchWK.jpg

vpgAkBj.jpg

C2wZ9x2.jpg

5SmSwAN.jpg