Brother Elysium's Hobby Blog; Primaris LT Base complete

The dead Death Company Marine, and the Tau skulls surrounding him, makes an AWESOME-looking base. Hopefully, the veteran you're making the base for, will avenge the death of this Son of Sanguinius.

Thanks Bjorn, it's actually my case for my Deathwatch Apothecary. One of my really good friends and local rivals on the tabletop is a Blood Angels fanatic. So, anytime there are any marine casualties, trophies, etc... I paint them as a dead Blood Angel just for him. :biggrin.:

I got started on the actual Apothecary last night, but didn't get any pics because I absent mindedlly forgot after I set my brushes down to grab a late night meal... :wacko.:

I agree only in death does duty end rest easy blood angel and always good to have a rivalry with your friends he’s gonna love that! The flamer looks great love the nid skulls on the base and the glow effect is great. I love all the apothecary models the primaris ones they are some of my favorites. Can’t wait to see more vets keep it up

I was able to start painting the actual Apothecary last night, and I decide to give him black armor to match the rest of the Deathwatch army. The opportunity to paint black armor with red robes was too good to pass up as that happens to be one of  my favorite color schemes. It's probably why I am so fond of the B&C in general. :)

I was able to get all of the armor painted minus the scarring and battle damage, the red areas except for lights buttons and screens taken care of, and started on the basecoat for the metal areas.

The metal areas especially the tools he using is giving me a lot of reason to be excited. Instead of it appearing that he is using a series of magnifying glasses to view the removed Geneseed, I think I am going to paint it to appear as lit optics. It's the 41st millenium for crying out loud. I am pretty sure some advanced digital optics would be used instead of some glass that bends light... 

I am also going to add some gore to the tools on the left side of his backpack as they are recently used. I am thinking this will add a very unique feel to this particular Apothecary, and really make the model stand out. Once I finish this project and move back to some more personal ones, I am definitely going to add one of these to my Crimson Fists. 

ykQEiCk.jpg

eFQ4pwf.jpg

3HGcXbk.jpg

Unfortunately this week has been really hectic and slow going on the painting end.... I got a few hours in last night, and was able to wrap up the metallic areas, get the base coat down for the brown leather areas, and get the washes over most of the newly painted areas. I am going to get the highlights done on a few areas this evening, and definitely finish this model up this weekend. 

MlYzlen.jpg

3knuo3W.jpg

On a side note, I picked up a Repulsor: Executioner Wednesday evening when I was at our local store for "nerd night".(That's what I call 40K gaming night. :) I wasn't a fan of the original Repulsor, but the turret on this new variant makes this model be absolutely on point. In my opinion it makes the tank what it is. I eventually want 2 of them with the new Lascannon, and one with a Plasma Incinerator Cannon. I'm going to try and get the first one done for the large game we have coming up in August.

He’s coming along great and do you think deathwatch will get access to the new space marine stuff some that has come out? Maybe the grey knights will get more love some day and what do you think of the new space marine stuff that was teased? And will we get a new space marine codex like chaos did? Keep up the great work

So, I was FINALLY able to finish up the Apothecary over the weekend. Hobbying has been slow going lately with all the birthday parties, weddings, etc, it's absolutely killing me. But, here is the finished product. Minus the new Executioner tank, this is by far my new favorite model for the Primaris range. There is jut so much character there. I made him a Howling Griffon, and I think once these mini commission projects are done, I am going to at least do a kill team of them. I really like how the shoulder pad came out, and their army scheme grew on me tremendously just from doing this model.

Here are the finished pics:

aKy9oGg.jpg

lPUDqLZ.jpg

4KQYThE.jpg

Zw1Cumd.jpg

wgADiQy.jpg

I was also able to get the Watch Master conversions done. He is converted form 3-4 different kits, and it was extremely challenging to get a lot of the pieces to fit. There was a lot of filing and drilling, but in the end I am very excited to get some paint on this model in the near future. This Watch Master is definitely going to be the centerpiece for this small force. I still have some work to do on the base. I'm going to add some more scenery, but I wanted to at least get these pieces in place so I could pose him and finish building him. 

I am still on the fence about the head I chose, as I think I am going to go back through some of my bits and find one with a bit more scarring. I really feel like the scars add so much character to the models especially those marines that are supposed to be veterans. The helmet is from the deathwatch upgrade sprue and also looks really good, so I am completely on the fence. I generally lean towards no helmets on characters or sergeants so that's probably what I'll go with, but any feedback on this would definitely be welcome. 

What do you guys think?

LT3bBtV.jpg

0pXc5qB.jpg

m6DSqHJ.jpg

2RyarVe.jpg

pbIrqAH.jpg

Thanks to you both Bjorn and Starlord.

The apothecary looks fantastic love the detail and the face and the should pad are my fav parts of your paint job. Him holding the gene seed is so cool I love that and that is a really hard choice for helmet or no helmet I think the no helmet he looks like a total bad ass

I think I am going to go with a no helmet. There's just too much character with them to pass up with an HQ like this. I do think I am going to go back through some of my heads and see about replacing this one. I am still not a very big fan of this one. It's the one from the Limited Edition Primaris LT. 

Got started on the first full Vet squad last night. The test model I posted last week is also going to be attached to this group as well. There was not a whole lot special to what I was able to get to. I used Contrast on all the black areas including the helmets, and then used Turquoise for the Power Weapons and Plasma Coil on one of the Sergeants. Then got the first coat of dry brushing done with Dark Reaper to the Black Armor areas. Tonight I am going to hit them with the Fenrisian Grey lighter dry brush, then move on to the mettalic areas. 

I'm still trying to decide what color/colors I am going to use to highlight the power weapons and Plasma Coils. I really like the look of the Terradon Turquoise, so I am not trying to dull it down too much. 

uwNNZqz.jpg

gm1koOh.jpg

What color are you gonna do for the frag cannons and what are all the chapters for these guys the turquoise looks good I used it on my alpha legion and it turned out really good can’t wait to see where the watch master goes and how you plan on expanding them in the future for your small force

What color are you gonna do for the frag cannons and what are all the chapters for these guys the turquoise looks good I used it on my alpha legion and it turned out really good can’t wait to see where the watch master goes and how you plan on expanding them in the future for your small force

I was going to tdo the standard Red I used on the Infernus Heavy Bolter, and the Pistol on the Apothecary, That way it is replicated throughout the rest of the army. 

I didn't get any painting done last night as it was nerd night, but I am going to try and get a big chunk of them done tonight. All of the armor areas should be completed and I am going to start on the guns at the very least. 

Making some steady and good progress. The major base coats besides the metallic areas are all completed. I overdid it a bit on the test model because unfortunately I have a tendency to be a perfectionist when I am painting, so contrasting these guys and mainly doing dry brushes for highlights is driving me nuts. I am really pleased with how the Cloak and Cowl came out for the Veteran Sergeant with the Xenophase blade. I didn't think that I could achieve as crisp of a look with two lighter shades of dry brushing so that' definitely some food for thought going forward. The other bonus of dry brushing the rounded edges is the gritty look it gives each model which is what was asked of me and what I have been going for to  this point.

I am going to move into the detail work this evening. The lighting effects on the eye lenses, scopes, plasma coils and power weapons will probably be first. Then I will move onto the gold, Bolter rounds, and leather bags. Lastly, I will do each individual shoulder pad then weather the armor. 

nKq7dVb.jpg

cxw0SHT.jpg

LCylE3M.jpg

I contrasted the bases, and overall I do like the effect it gives. I still have some minor dry brushing to do, and a few minor highlights, but I think they will look solid. Especially the bike base. I have more Xenos skulls to add as well to give them each a little more flavor. Tonight I am going to try some of the Purple and Pink Contrast out for the first time on the Xenos creep on the bases. The original base was done with traditional highlights and washes. 

EAekyX5.jpg

I can’t wait to see how the bases turn out and what is your opinion on contrast and what is your favorite color out of it ? I love how the sgt hood and cape turned out I am still new to painting and need to learn to dry brush my models. Can’t wait to see how you are gonna do your deathwatch and keep up the great work

I was able to get some minute painting done this past Saturday, but the main thing I did was reorganize my man cave and clean up the clutter. I had 25 boxes that needed to have sprues clipped, so I spent most of Saturday(in between a family outing)getting all the sprues clipped from my empty boxes, organizing and labeleing new bits bins and building some shelves for my man cave closet. Come to think of it, I probably should have gotten a shot or two of all of that... :happy.:

I clipped sprues from  Tau, Imperial Knights, Baneblades, Space Marines, Custodes, and Chaos Space Marines. The box below should give you guys an idea of how much I did end up clipping, and this was a shot I took when I was bout 3/4 of the way through all of them. All of the boxes have been perfectly flattened to put it in perspective for you all. 

VhULSWh.jpg

On Sunday I did quite a bit of painting. The bases for the Deathwatch commission are done minus adding the skulls to the bases. They were painted by Contrast paints and some drybrushing. I think they turned out pretty good, and I can't wait to finish up the models and get them attached to them. The last thing will just be giving the beveled edge a black coat. 

ElE5vnc.jpg

I spent most of Sunday working on finishing up the squad. The only I really have left is to touch up the power weapons and Plasma coils, then add all of the lighting effects. I have to complete the Sons of Medusa Sergeants head as well, but with Guilliman Flesh this is literally a breeze now. Just a couple highlights after it dries and flesh tones are even easier than they were before. 

Here is the squad in it's near complete state.

RcO45hl.jpg

UKOnb4A.jpg

mT0EW3T.jpg

Tonight I am going to wrap these up, and then start on the squad of Intercessors. They should go a lot quicker as they aren't quite as detailed as the vets. Then I am going to convert the Librarian, and start painting him or the Watchmaster. 

I wrapped up the bases last night, and after getting the beveled edge painted, the skulls in place, and some matte varnish on them, they have grown on me considerably. Especially the bike base that is for another marine that is not pictured.(I'm going to be painting him after i finish the Intercessors)The contrast with some minor highlights and drybrushing continues to impress me as I continue to experiment with it. The skulls themselves look fantastic IMO, and I only applied one layer of the Skeleton Horde contrast paint, then did very minor highlights using Ushabti bone and Screaming Skull. To me, they look just as good if not better than the bone I have done in the past using Zandri Dust, a wash, and then heavy highlighting using Ushabti and Screaming Skull, and at times a touch of Flayed One Flesh.

I'm going to keep working on improving the use of these, but for now, they have definitely proven their worth to me.

IP6mxvB.jpg

The squad itself is almost done. I was a little disappointed I didn't wrap them up last night, but after painting for 4-5 hours I needed to rest my eyes and my back. For those of you that have been following and reading for quite some time, my back is still bothering me from injuring it at the gym. But, short of crippling me, or me going blind, I'm not going to stop painting or working out. :D

I still need to do the glowing/lighting effects on 4 of the marines backpacks, finish all of the wrist computer screens, and then add some lighting to the glorious sons of Dorn carrying the frag cannons, but they are nearing completion. After I finish touching up these areas, I can weather and chip the armor, varnish these bad boys, and they will be ready to destroy the alien enemies of the emperor wherever they encounter them. 

These took a lot more time than I had hoped for, and I am losing my butt on the hourly rate due to how much time I have spent on them, but, at least they will hopefully look nice on the table. 

My favorite part is the Sons of Medusa Sergeant's(marine with the power fist)face and bare head. The skin was painted with a Grey Seer base coat, Guilliman Flesh Contrast paint, minor Kislev Flesh and Flayed One Flesh highlights. This is another Contrast paint that continues to impress me every time I use it. My method of painting faces before required 4-5 layers of paint/highlights, and at least 2 washes. The final product achievable with such a small amount of work on the skin is worth it's weight in gold. I am going to continue to work on improving the method I am currently using, but as of right now, I am in love with this stuff. The eyes an Irises are still a pain, but practice makes perfect. 

Here's the squad finally entering it's final stages. I will be posting the completed pics tonight/tomorrow. 

Eo15XYn.jpg

WUnmuSq.jpg

XhDCS4p.jpg

Tonight, after I finish these up, I am going to start working on the 5 marine intercessor squad. Then I am going to switch gears and paint the watch captain, or Librarian I need to finish putting together.

Fantastic job sir on the I love the detail and the hood marine looks amazing and the sgt face is perfect in my opinion love how you make the faces look like they are so really . Can’t wait to see how the primaris stuff is gonna turn out and the bases are gorgeous keep up the great work and I hope you friend loves the work you have done

I haven't posted in a few days, but I have been hobbying. Wednesday was nerd gaming night, so last night I finally got around to taking some pictures of my current work.

I finished up the first Deathwatch squad, and though I was unhappy with their appearance through most of this project, I was surprisingly pleased with how they came out. I think my biggest gripe with them was the armor until the weathering added more depth to them. I am used to doing extreme edge highlights with blended areas at the focal light points, so my OCD over the dirty appearance of these was driving me crazy. 

I think my favorite part about these in general was the glowing effects on the eye lenses and the various lit areas. A close second would be the weathered and chipped armor. Beyond sponge weathering, this is the firs time I've heavily used this technique, and I was very please with how simple yet effective the technique was. 

Here they are, I hope everyone enjoys them. As always the sons of Dorn bringing their heavy weapons to bear have a special place in my heart so there are a few extras of them. :D

V6ITQLP.jpg

z3Ps5Oq.jpg

yXjUVNy.jpg

oSIGspC.jpg

9sXzTY8.jpg

Cbdkzvv.jpg

I also started on the first squad of Intercessors and finished up the armor plating(minus the weatherign)and red on the weapons. I used a Grey Seer base coat on these for the Contrast black, and I am MUCH happier about the appearance of the armor and the hue of the red. I also think I am getting much more comfortable of being heavy handed with the paint, which just generally feels so wrong when painting miniatures like this. For some reason, I also feel like the Primaris have a better surface area for the Contrast paints as well. I am not sure if it's just the larger and more impressive appearance of the models, or if it's just me. 

I also scrubbed the Resin bases down and got them ready for their contrast coats. I am going to adjust to a darker purple, so I am switching from Magos to Shyish Purple. Hopefully it pays off . :O

Here are the Intercessors thus far. I am going to HOPEFULLY finish these over the next few days, and then move on to either the Librarian or the Watch Master. I still have to decide what weapon I want to give the Librarian and finish that conversion though.

RBzPIlD.jpg

qqcqZuE.jpg

mqgBioJ.jpg

I really like the black on the grey seer looks really good I love how the squad turned out!! They look fantastic!! Which red did you use on the rifles I really like that color and your bases look great keep up the great work can’t wait to see more of the deathwatch done

Thank you sir. The Red is Flesh Tearer's Red Contrast with a few minor highlights with Wazdakka Red and Wild Rider Red.

mqgBioJ.jpg

"Eat boltgun!"

Oh just how much better the intercessors look with regular marine helmets!

(

)

Looking good so far!

Yeah, I might have stolen the idea from a few things I saw on Pinterest, but I definitely agree. I do like the MKX helmets, but these helmets with all the Augments and scanners just feel right for the Deathwatch. 

So, I was able to complete the Intercessors over the weekend, and the results were better than I expected. I think I a have mentioned this before, and it could just be my biased for painting the new Primaris line, but the Primaris just look better with the Contrast paints. It could be the curvature of the armor, or that I am getting more acclimated to using it, but that's just how I feel about it. 

I was really pleased with how each Chapter's shoulder guards came out, and with the contrast paints doing each one was a snap. I'd say the Fire Lords shoulder pad is probably my favorite with the Marines Errant Sergeant a very close second. All in all, I am quite pleased with how the pads came out.

I ended up branching out on the glowing effects that were seen in the Veterans I finished last week, and I am going to continue to look for opportunities to expand on that as this project continues to grow. 

Comments and questions are always welcome, so please let me know what you guys think about everything. Here they are:

XHkW9rl.jpg

8uOYh7V.jpg

G1i17BN.jpg

ObebI07.jpg

WvYGRKd.jpg

MiUaiv3.jpg

I finished up teh Watch Master, last night. I ended up switching heads and changing my base idea up, but I am excited to start on him later this week. I forgot to get pictures of him in all his primed glory, but I will make sure to take a few snap shots tonight. 

I also started building my very first Repulsor Executioner last night. I wasn't a fan of the original Repulsor, but the Executioner and it's gigantic hulking turret really stood out to me. It just speaks battle tank to me. Who doesn't like a gigantic cannon that shoots miniature sons from it's barrel?!(Plasma Incinerator) :devil: :devil: :devil:  And The Laser Destroyer Cannon is just boss. I'm more of a level the building to see what's on the other side then walking through it kind of guy anyways. :wink:  I want at least 2-3 of them eventually. Tonight I plan on finishing the construction of this tank, getting it primed, and time permitting getting it base coated with my air brush. Of course I failed to get pictures of this too... :wallbash:

You'd think at this point, taking pics of what I have going on would be second nature... I will get pics of the tank progress tonight.