Brother Elysium's Hobby Blog; Primaris LT Base complete

Love how they turned out the amount of detail on the shoulder pads is bad ass love all the chapter that I’ve never seen or don’t see very often they turned out fantastic! I love the glow effect from the wrist computer and from all the lens it looks good sir you did a great job. The new tank looks awesome I just finished building and priming mine I can’t wait to try it on the tabletop. Also 3 would be very interesting to say the least or a game or two. Can’t wait to see the watch master finished and all his glory to the emperor!!!

As promised here is the Deathwatch Watchmaster ready for his coats of paint... He isn't glued completely in place so that I can more easily place him, and I am going to add more debris to the base to fill in around the skull, but this should give everyone an idea of what his final posing should be like. I am really excited to get started on this model, and I am going ot spend maximum time and effort on this given he is the head of the small Deathwatch force the mini commission I am working on. It's going to be Sunday or next week before I get to work on him, as I have to switch gears back to my Crimson Fists for a game we have Saturday.

WPyOSia.jpg

rKJX5vL.jpg

I built my first Repulsor Excecutioner last night, and minus the tediousness of assembling what I am calling Grav-Plates, it was a really fun build. The kit was pretty simple, and I was very impressed with how well GW put it together. I was not and still am not a big fan of the standard Repulsor, but this tank variant is one of the most impressive tanks GW has designed in years. I would say it's probably second only to the Baneblade kit.

My least favorite part is GW's poor excuse for a hover stand. There definitely could have and should have been a lot more done there IMO. So, I did magnetize mine. It only took a few minutes, so any of you thinking abou trying it, I definitely recommend it. I used 1/4" magnets on it, and was careful not to drill all the way through the hull of the tank or the platform on the hover pad.  Another cool thing is now that this one is magnetized, and I plan on doing it with the others I will purchase in the near future, it can be swiveled for more dynamic posing on the tabletop. This should help give each tank a more unique feel too.

RrYVw6i.jpg

udnLbLL.jpg

2tNXoQG.jpg

I was able to get the tank almost fully assembled in one night of hobbying which I was very happy as this is a BIG kit. Tonight I am going to add the last weapon to the rear of the tank and then apply the cosmetics to the hull. I have several Crimson Fists bits I am going to dig out, and I already started kitting it out to serve the Emperor's finest soldiers, The sons of Dorn. Once I get the more aesthetic side of the assembly done, I am going to prime it and break out the ole airbrush. I am very excited to slap some paint on this thing and use it this weekend. :devil:

KdsxQtY.jpg

wDxPRrl.jpg

I completed assembly on the Executioner, and was able to knock out the basecoat in about 25-30 minutes total including drying time as it generally takes 2 coats over a chaos black base coat. This doesn't include airbursh cleaning, but this is WAY more effective an has a much more consistent finish than a traditional  Anyone that does not at least have an airbrush for base coats at the minimum should highly consider it.

Zz7wOn3.jpg

I was able to get the armor plating washed, highlighted and then dry brushed last night on both tanks. I plan on weathering each one, and in this instance I always use a washing technique I have used in the past on tanks. Especially on my Baneblade variants. Instead of recess washing the model, you wash the entire model then use a damp cloth to wipe away the streaks and the excess. This helps give the model a dark pigment in areas, and once it is fully weathered helps give it more of a battle hardened look. It takes some practice to get used to it, so I recommend trying it on a test model(s)before it is employed. I posted my finished Shadowsword below so you all can see the technique in a completed state. It helps add a lot of depth and character to the thanks Which gives them some individuality when you have multiple of the same type. With me planning to add more Preds and more Executiioners in the near future, it was a good opportunity to employ it. 

stT6xHs.jpg

2BQKbRU.jpg

6SXFMtt.jpg

After I completed those steps on the tank I started to work on the Primaris base. This is something I am REALLY excited about, and as it should be dry, I intend on finishing it tonight. Even though most of the base will be hidden, it's still something I decided to do and wanted to show off. 

Given the Repulsors are hovering tanks, I wanted the base to appear as though the grav field was disrupting the ground. So the look I am going for, and I really feel like I achieved is that the earth is being pushed out in mighty waves of grav energy as the tank moves across the battlefield. The amount of anti gravity lift needed to hover a tank of this size would be enormous, so I really worked hard to capture that feel. I can't wait to add more debris and foliage to it later this evening. I hope everyone likes it as much as I do.

0JTWxQ8.jpg

Tonight I am going to get some Infiltrators built and get them table ready for this weekends game, then finish up the Repulsor base. I didn't realize they were Troop(battlline :dry.: )units until last night when I sat back down and re read my Phobos minidex. With the new Crimson Fists rules, these unit should be pretty effective. If I have enough time after that, I am going to start on all the metal areas. on the tanks.

I finished up the bases for my Primaris Infiltrators, as well as the Executioner last night. I think I am going to add more Miscellaneous debris to the base, but I really feel like the Executioner's turned out very well. As I sated above, I wanted it to appears as though the dirt and debris below the tank was being force out from under the tank due to the enormous pressure from the anti gravity drive as the tank travels across the battlefield. 

The Infiltrator bases are just my standard Fists bases with some slight water effects, and some skulls I will be adding this evening.

SXRivbT.jpg

JQyTn3X.jpg

I ALMOST got the Infiltrators "table ready" via contrast paint. As always not being able to spend a ton of time on these out of the necessity to get the Tanks done is driving me bananas, but I do plan on going back and highlighting them after the game Saturday. All in all I think the Contrast line is a pretty good one, but like most paints I am finding a lot of inconsistencies between colors. 

The Skeleton Horde, Flesh Tones, Reds, Browns, and Yellows all seem to be the most consistent throughout the range IMO. The other colors seem to be a mixed bag at times. I am not sure what is causing what seems to be a deviation when I paint from the same pot. I am thinking it's trying to find a happy medium in regards to how much paint I am using, and shaking the contrasts long enough, but it's weird that the other hues uniformly cause issues.

ah1YiwQ.jpg

Tonight I am going to painstakingly work these and call them finished(even though they are far from it)and then move onto the Phobos Librarian. I ma table readying him only and will go back at a later date and try to bring him up to snuff. Then, I am going to buckle down and work on the Executioner and Pred. I am stoked to get them both done.

You should get some sort of agitators to put into your Contrast bottles; a lot of what I've read online about inconsistencies from the same pot is down to them not being mixed up enough. I bought a cheap container of small glass beads several years ago and put 2-3 in every paint bottle as I use them, and still haven't used up even half of them. 

I've been MIA since the end of last week due to being slammed at the office, getting my oldest daughter ready for her first day ever of school(she started today it was quite emotional :sweat: )the big game we had on Saturday, and the craziness at work, but, I was able to get quite a bit of stuff done over the weekend and have a couple of pics to share of our really large Narrative Loyalist vs Chaos game. 

From painting standpoint, I was able to finish up the turret for my Repulsor Executioner, and the contrast only(minus the bases)Infiltrators and Phobos Librarian were completed. I am planning on finishing up the Executioner in the near future, but I am kind of Space Marined out after finishing that commission and doing an almost 20 hour painting stint on my Crimson Fists over the course of 48 hours. So, I switched gears to once again working on my Tau. I know brothers, PURE HERESY, but I love the models, and really dig their lore. The funny thing is they used to be one of the most hated armies for me when I first got into the hobby. I am going to post some of my progress of those tonight or tomorrow. 

Here is the completed Executioner turret, and a picture of some of the completed detail work on the chassis. I still may go back and touch of the weathering and chipping, but for now I am pretty pleased with it.

Wi0hQzN.jpg

3dMV5GV.jpg

3gV9hTB.jpg

The Infiltrators will need A LOT of highlight work, but sitting side by side on the table they are very hard to point out unless I tell people there is one unit that are fully contrast paints. All in all the shade matches well, and I think they will look pretty good once I am able to finish the detail work. 

XCwSzk4.jpg

ovNLBkU.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of the first few turns of our Apoc game. We used too large of a table in hindsight, and the Firestorm attacks are unbelievably busted in the Planetfall mission, but we still had a really good time. 

I will definitely do a MUCH better job going forward on getting pictures for things like this. The sons of Dorn deserve no less!

Tzos8In.jpg

VMpR4Gq.jpg

I should have some Tau tomorrow! :ohmy.:

The repulsor turret looks great and the vanguard marines looks great can’t wait to see both of the finished! Which tau are you working on and what sept are your tau? That apoc team game looked like it was a lot of fun can’t wait to see more pic from your games that you play at your local shop keep up the great work can’t wait to see more of it

Sorry I have been MIA, I was in Raleigh North Carolina with my lovely wife most of the week, and have had almost zero hobby time since last weekend. I will be able to hit the ground running tonight, and should be finishing up a Fire Warrior squad, and then starting on some Pathfinders. I may go ahead and convert my next Cadre Fireblade, I have not decided as of yet.

On a really personal yet awesome side note, my Collector's Edition Space Marine Codex finally arrived from the UK. Years ago, I would have considered this a massive waste of money, but as I have gotten older(I am now 33)I have gotten more and more into collecting models and books relating to the hobby, especially the Space Marine line. I will say this; this is now my one of my prized 40K possessions, and I am incredibly happy I made the decision to purchase this, and was actually able to secure one. These sold out when they went live in less than 60 seconds. I am on the fence about framing the poster that came with the Codex, and I am going to purchase a standard copy of the Codex as this set is just too pretty to travel back and forth with with. 

I am still waiting on my Collectors Edition White Scars supplement as ai have a 4000 pt Dark Hunters army already painted. For those of you that do not know, they are White Scars Successor chapter. I will ABSOLUTELY be picking up the Collectors Crimson Fists supplement book as well.

Here is a video of me unboxing my copy, as well as some pics to follow if you all want to get a closer look:

https://i.imgur.com/lvBU7hi.mp4

c6vcPMz.jpg

vZoPA52.jpg

plQkPFs.jpg

L0xMZ5y.jpg

bxLfi6Q.jpg

Wa2U1LN.jpg

qtPn50H.jpg

gViPcm1.jpg

2uOeSuS.jpg

aOWHnbt.jpg

LjG2rTe.jpg

xmZLIlo.jpg

Edited by Brother Eleysium

• 3 weeks later...

That codex is glorious I really wish I could have gotten one and I would do the same thing that is too pretty to be taken anywhere can’t wait to see how your tau turn out as well

Yeah, it's definitely one of my top 40K possessions at this point....

Sorry for the inactivity, it's been a long few weeks. I did some minor painting and added to my Tau army over the last few weeks; so I will be posting them tomorrow and updates as I continue to work on them. 

It's good to be back in the groove of things. 

So, I have been on hiatus for quite some time, and it's due to being out of town consistently again, American College Football season starting(we go to all of the university I support's games which requires traveling) I was also really burnt out after spending so many days straight doing nothing but painting for our large game. Everytime I have sat down to get things done, I get frustrated or feel like painting has become work after about an hour or so... I usually try to paint at least 3-4 hours a day too...  

I was finally able to get some patients again about a week ago, and did finish a Fire Warrior squad that I forgot to take pictures of... I'll get some of those soon and post them.

After some discussion with our "Friday Night Gaming Group" we have decided to pick up BFG fleets second hand. I played almost 20 years ago, and really enjoyed it. The game play did take quite a while for larger games, but it was definitely fun and worth it IMO. I REALLY hope GW re-releases this is Aeronautic Imperialis takes off...

I was able to dig out some old Chaos Cruisers that I never did get painted from back then, and started working on them yesterday. I also found a sealed starter, and several other small contingents for a Chaos fleet on eBay, and they should arrive later this week. I am still deciding on which Battleship to pick up. The 2nd hand bidding on OOP models can get pricey if one is not careful. I paid what I consider FAR too much for the BFG starter, but it is really rare to find a sealed one like this and we will need all the counters and markers to play correctly in a few weeks. Since I picked up the starter and it comes with half an imperial fleet I guess I'll have to do a standard Imperial fleet at some point. I had already intended on doing Imperial Space Marines in the very near future. As of right now, one of our players has purchased an Ork fleet, another started picking up Eldar, and several others plan on adding fleets of a certain type soon. 

Yesterday, I got the ships reassembled, and unfortunately I believe I misplaced the engines on each but it will be difficult to tell once they hit the tabletop and have other cruisers that are identical around them. I magnetized the flight stands to each, and primed them all with Grey Sear contrast. I was torn between Black Legion, Word Bearers, and or making a Warp Ghosts fleet to match the kill team I built. In the end I opted to go with Word Bearers as I really like the Flesh Tearers Red Contrast, and felt it would really pop on these models. It did not disappoint. 

8eWXI9L.jpg

lUCIpoV.jpg

I then did some minor highlights and a light dry brush to the model using Wazdakka Red:

UzTSc14.jpg

And lastly I finished up with another minor highlight and a light dry brush of Squig Orange:

7oNpRSQ.jpg

KKt3pJ1.jpg

I got the base coat for the silver banding details on the ships as well, I forgot to snag a pic before I went to bed last night unfortunately. Tonight I plan on finishing those up, getting the gun battery barrels painted, and then starting on the light details. 

I have a a Possessed Cruiser that needs to be done, and I am going to work on it next. They're really cool models, and I was surprised at how detailed it was considering how old it is.

Thanks for everyone that came back, it's good to be back int he swing of things...

Glad to see you back at it I missed reading your blog and bfg looks like a really cool game. The burn out can be real in the hobby and I love the paint scheme you picked. So you can bear the word of chaos to all in your path can’t wait to see the finished product keep up the great work

I was able to get few more hours of painting in last night, and wrapped up the silver banding, started on the black for the turrets, applied the decals. The Flaming Daemon Skull is now proudly displayed for all of the enemies of the true Gods to see. 

The silver was done with Leadbelcher base, a 50/50 wash of Nuln Oil/Water, and then a highlight with Runefang. I then picked out the black details for the battery barrels, and the areas I am going to apply blue lighting effects to except for the engine comepartments underneath. I should be able to get all the black done tonight, and then start on the lighting. I am thinking a really stark Teal/Turquoise blue. I then applied the decals and they came out great. 

TJpWXxV.jpg

51a77is.jpg

gHbKges.jpg

Tonight I am going to try to start and finish all the weapon batteries, finish all the lighting effects, and possibly get started on the bases. 

I can't wait to try the game out Friday night. I am absolutely stoked.

Looking good, the red could use a dark ink wash to add depth. If I remember correctly he acheron was the best chaos cruiser with lots of middle range firepower, however the game is more oriented towards attack craft than gunnery

It could just be the pictures, 'cause I know from trying to photograph red myself that the shading could be washed out, but they do look a bit flat and could use some more contrast to make them pop. Otherwise, awesome to see someone doing some BFG stuff again. :)