Dark imperium plague war

I wasn’t going to get this, but the much smaller print run gave me massive FOMO, and the Apocalypse reboxing of Baneblades wasn’t today as I was expecting so I needed (yeah right...) the endorphin rush of a purchase so I bought it.

I already have listened to it, and really enjoyed Frater Matthew’s arc; more than the problems of integrating Primaris marines, maybe even more than the new reality of overt Chaos acknowledgement this typified the problems of life post-rift.

The special edition will sit, sadly unread, on my shelf for a while though- I’m not that keen to revisit it just yet.

• 1 year later...
I know this is an old thread but I can't find info anywhere else and this seemed better than making a new topic. Does anybody know anything about book 3 or is this "trilogy" dead? And if so, is there any point in reading it or will I just be left feeling like the story is incomplete? I guess what I'm asking is, can they function as individual stories in their own right? Thanks for your help...

Plague War largely concludes the storyline of the Death Guard's invasion of Ultramar in the wake of the Indominuts Crusade. The story reaches a satisfying conclusion. While there is scope for a sequel, it certainly doesn't end on a cliff-hanger, at least from a strategic perspective. The only real cliff-hanger is Guilliman's character development as he takes a personal step to resolve the dilemma he has been wrestling with since his resurrection about who/what the Emperor is becoming. I am interested to see what comes from that development but realistically that can be addressed in any future novel.

I know this is an old thread but I can't find info anywhere else and this seemed better than making a new topic. Does anybody know anything about book 3 or is this "trilogy" dead? And if so, is there any point in reading it or will I just be left feeling like the story is incomplete? I guess what I'm asking is, can they function as individual stories in their own right? Thanks for your help...

The trilogy’s by no means dead. Haley’s writing book 3 at present so we’ll probably see it sometime next year, maybe 2022 at worst. The books themselves are quite good in my opinion, but they’re definitely a connected narrative that will, hopefully, benefit greatly from a conclusion.

Edited by cheywood

The trilogy was simply put on break while Haley put Dawn of Fire on the road. Chances are we'll see Dark Imperium III reference Dawn of Fire as a series in one way or another. However, Dark Imperium (and the short stories) also inform Dawn of Fire: Avenging Son, so the order you read them in is really up to you.

Thanks everyone. I'll prob'ly order Plague War next week. Already got part one so I guess I'm making a start on that once I finish the Warcry anthology...

It's only available as an e-book at this point, unless you buy it second-hand.

But it will return, probably with a new cover to tie it into the Dawn of Fire series.

From Guy himself: https://twitter.com/GuyHaley/status/1284789455728062466

Edited by byrd9999

• 7 months later...

I don't see another thread for this trilogy, but obviously the retconning of the story taking place only a dozen years into the Indomitus Crusade rather than at the end of a 112-year Crusade is well known now. So no need to spend time on that news or the story summary for Godblight...

I just wanted to point out something that had fallen down the memory hole since my first read of this book but may very well be a sign of things to come at the resolution of Godblight. Very early in Plague War (so early that if you're like me, you forgot all about it by the time you finished the book), Guilliman sends his rogue trader agent off on a mission to run the Nachmund Guantlet and deliver a message to the regent of Imperium Nihilus. Of course we all know that regent is Dante...

Did I just manage to miss a discussion at the time predicting that the "message" was a call for Dante to send some specific aid to assist in the final showdown with Mortarion? Because while there's no guarantee that Guilliman's message is even something that will be followed up on in book three, I believe Haley has since said that he's through writing Blood Angels books for the foreseeable future. So, unless he was including that nugget for another writer to do something with, the most logical place to follow up on that plot element would be in the same series where it was introduced.

And exactly WHAT or WHO might Guilliman be asking Dante to send him? There's the dull answer of a buttload of Primaris, but that's like the one thing Guilliman seems to have plenty of. On the other hand, having read Darkness in the Blood and especially City of Light, it seems like Mephiston might just be a notch or three above Tigurius in the warp-wielding and daemon-dispatching departments. Granted, we haven't really seen what post-Rubicon Tigurius can do, but given the circumstances of Mephiston's particular situation, I think he still walks away the winner in that face-off. Definitely not an ally to pass up if you have the chance to tag him in.

So that's my bet on the nature of the message and how it will play out. Again, sorry if this was already chewed over multiple times in the past and I managed to miss it. I'm only now re-reading Plague War for the first time since I initially finished it, so that passage really stood out in light of all the Blood Angels and Mephiston stories we've seen since.

There's also the Eye of Night / Hand of Darkness audio dramas to consider as potential plot points, since Guilliman sends both Inquisitor Greyfax and Yvraine of the Ynnari to go recover those two artifacts - the Eye from the corpse of Inquisitor Horst of an earlier Black Crusade, but Yvraine walks into Nurgle's Garden to grab the Hand.

The Hand of Darkness is the important one here, as far as Godblight might be concerned, as Mortarion used the thing to bring his plagues across Ultramar. It was written by Thorpe, not Haley, but released not long before Dark Imperium did in 2017, so it MIGHT be a relevant factor, considering Yvraine stole it from basically under Mortarion's nose, it was involved in making the assault happen, and the quest was initiated by Guilliman after being told about it by Eldrad and Tigurius.

Would be kind of a pity to not pick up on that again, even if it's just to vaporize the Hand to spite Morty.

I'd like to have the Hand situation cleared up a bit as well, yeah.

I'm really hoping nothing changes with Quaramar in the rewrite, because his appearance is my favourite part of Plague War and having a unique daemon like that running around the cosmos is fantastic. He's my favourite daemon in the lore. I don't necessarily want to see more of him, I just don't want anything about him changed.

Is there still a timeline snarl with Devastation of Baal? I'm not caught up on Dawn of Fire yet so I don't know if that got addressed anywhere. Seems easy enough to handwave away with warp time dilation or whatever.