Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bandai & GW Releasing 7 inch Action Figure

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

Apothecary Vaddon

Apothecary Vaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,329 posts
  • Faction: n/a, don't do TT

I wonder the same about the TT.

grailkeeper

grailkeeper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 876 posts
  • Faction: Vylka Fenrika

I dont know much about Bandai. I thought they made TV shows tbh. Those who do what would the likely price range be?

I think GW's smart move would be to wait for a bit before releasing more marine action figures. That way people will buy and convert for a while, then maybe buy more of the next wave of stuff.

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,323 posts
  • Faction: Templars, Sisters, Chaos
I unironically like the Marine. I saw one idea elsewhere to paint him up to be a statue, but he also makes a nice desk buddy.

I hope they keep him grey for maximum customization options.

My company inform me that their new primaris brother just don't fit in the safety harnesses. And the Chaplain won't let us ride unless we buckle up.

Zeller

Zeller

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,162 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Bandai makes Gundam model kits among other things. They range in price from the super simple and cheap $12-$15 range for basic articulation, level of detail, and options for a 1/144 scale mecha to $80 plus for the highest grade kits which are 1/100 scale and a bit bigger IIRC. My best guess would is that if it were strictly a Bandai product these would be about $20-25, but since GW is involved I'd wager about $30-35.

Terminators please!!!

Personally, I'd say it makes a lot more sense to keep putting them on the right. Anyone who questions your decision is a Communist.

QUOTE (Ashdown @ Aug 17 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can play vanilla marines, however, it is a heavy burden to wield such shame.

gallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

AgentOrange

AgentOrange

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 39 posts

Bandai makes Gundam model kits among other things. They range in price from the super simple and cheap $12-$15 range for basic articulation, level of detail, and options for a 1/144 scale mecha to $80 plus for the highest grade kits which are 1/100 scale and a bit bigger IIRC. My best guess would is that if it were strictly a Bandai product these would be about $20-25, but since GW is involved I'd wager about $30-35.

Terminators please!!!

That's probably not an accurate estimate. You'll be lucky if this is under 6,000 yen.

Steel Company

Steel Company

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,731 posts

I need these action figures... I wonder if they are going to vehicles to scale too?

To all you Space Wolf Players... Its called a Razor and the Soap isn't a Daemon.
--Dremen

The Iron Hands, they are the real emo marines. Seriously. The Dark Angels aren't the ones who sit around cutting off bits of themselves, wearing black, and complaining about weakness and ennui...

--Octavulg

Battybattybats

Battybattybats

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,452 posts
Oh the Skitarii is absolutely adorable! I must have it!
  • Magos Takatus and HandsWithLegs like this

Master Commander Ajax

Master Commander Ajax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 678 posts
  • Faction: Black Castellans
Fingers crossed we’ll get a Black Legion action figure, that would defiantly find its way on to my painting desk. I wonder why they chose to preview this today when Warhammer Fest is tomorrow.

Edited by Master Commander Ajax, 11 May 2019 - 12:37 AM.

They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them, and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest guns will they be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them. They will have tactics, strategies and machines so that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the Terror. They are the Defenders of Humanity. They are my Space Marines and they shall know no fear.

Plaguecaster

Plaguecaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,131 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard

It looks so damn amazing and i want so much of them as they will look perfect as part of my Gunpla colection

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

• Apothecary Vaddon, Kierdale, TheOneTrueZon and 1 other like this
Nurgle Abominarions: A Host of Decay Revived for 8th​.
UPDATED 29/07/17

DutyBeforeAll

DutyBeforeAll

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 118 posts

Terminators please!!!

For Gunpla yeah, for figures?

I’d say for a 7 inch figure with a lot of articulation minimum $35-$40, and more likely $60.

Some of their four inch gundam figures (not models) run from $40 to $70, but have a ton of hand options and accessories.

lionofjudah

lionofjudah

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,095 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

It looks so damn amazing and i want so much of them as they will look perfect as part of my Gunpla colection

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

This brought nerd tears from 12 year old me 32 years later😢... that’s beautiful... and as it’s plastic I can convert it some and spend a LOT of time painting it up.
Wowza
  • Plaguecaster and Kierdale like this

redmapa

redmapa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,851 posts
  • Faction: Reclaimant Crusade
Oh sweet jesus that thing is huge! Im not too thrilled on the Intercessor but the possibilities are so great! CHAPLAINS! TERMINATORS! SENTINELS!
  • Master Commander Ajax likes this
++NO PITY.NO REMORSE.NO FEAR++
++Light your way in the darkness with the pyres of burning heretics.++

++We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting
Till the end
++

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,672 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company
Wow, he's a big boy. I'll bet you Legion / Chapter vehicle transfers will work perfectly on those pauldrons.

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

HandsWithLegs

HandsWithLegs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 289 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

Hmm, seeing these new images I'm less excited than I was. The legs seem a bit too wide and the feet too big, and I really don't like how the kneepad sticks out when the leg bends. Above the legs it looks great, but the legs just look a bit off to me

• Interrogator Stobz likes this

gallery_48988_15465_43209.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

utilityzero

utilityzero

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,059 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Pain
I'm surprised they went with plain. Bandai's models are all in colored plastic generally. Little to no painting is needed normally to get an ok looking finished product.

Also they said action figure which I take to mean as being a prebuilt toy or figure, not a model kit. So while Bandai does make nice affordable model kits they are not 10-15 dollars, except for the super simple SD line. Normal HG kits are 25-30, MG or RE/100 is $75-100 and perfect grade is like $150-300 or something along those lines. And that's not including P Bandai which is only available in Japan normally so gets marked up for anyone outside Japan.

From the description I'm guessing it would be more like the robot spirits line of action figures which can run 50-60 dollars though that's partially because they are hard to find outside Japan. But the picture makes it look like a model kit in which case it won't cost quite as much.

Why make a model kit with Bandai though? This is an odd choice for me to wrap my head around.
1% of people know that answer to, "What's the F.T.W. stand for?" You're not one of them.
8% of teenagers dont listen to rap and 2% havnt tried pot OR drinking... and an even smaller percentage of people actually feel the need to bolster their own self-esteem by putting a spin on being rhythmicly challenged and having no social life.
100% of your base are belong to us.
50% of marines apparently get lost in the warp. If only the guy who came up with that plot had gotten lost in the warp first.

redmapa

redmapa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,851 posts
  • Faction: Reclaimant Crusade

Why make a model kit with Bandai though? This is an odd choice for me to wrap my head around.

Brand recognition in a foreign market and while its a model kit it isnt something GW does so having another company do it means GW doesnt have to invest a lot in their infrastructure or marketing to get this new kind of product, so with a parternship like this GW can now breach into other demographics and markets and making their brand known to more people in hopes to expand their customer base and sustain their new growth.

I think it makes a lot of sense both in terms of brand and production.
  • Magos Takatus likes this
++NO PITY.NO REMORSE.NO FEAR++
++Light your way in the darkness with the pyres of burning heretics.++

++We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting
Till the end
++

Master Commander Ajax

Master Commander Ajax

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 678 posts
  • Faction: Black Castellans
The article over on the Warhammer Community page says that the figures are fully painted. I assumed this was a prototype rather than an unpainted plastic kit?

They shall be my finest warriors, these men who give of themselves to me. Like clay I shall mould them, and in the furnace of war forge them. They will be of iron will and steely muscle. In great armour shall I clad them and with the mightiest guns will they be armed. They will be untouched by plague or disease, no sickness will blight them. They will have tactics, strategies and machines so that no foe can best them in battle. They are my bulwark against the Terror. They are the Defenders of Humanity. They are my Space Marines and they shall know no fear.

Steel Company

Steel Company

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,731 posts

image0.jpg

image0.jpg

I want to say this is a pure prototype stage, with finalized versions being painted up like the Macross DX Chogokin figures.
To all you Space Wolf Players... Its called a Razor and the Soap isn't a Daemon.
--Dremen

The Iron Hands, they are the real emo marines. Seriously. The Dark Angels aren't the ones who sit around cutting off bits of themselves, wearing black, and complaining about weakness and ennui...

--Octavulg

Jarl Caldersson

Jarl Caldersson

++ OCCISOR CANUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 2,974 posts
  • Faction: Allfathers Einherjar, DG

what size is the base?

Posted ImagePosted Image
If you want your army paint scheme made in Impcat just send me a message.

D3L

D3L

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 710 posts
  • Faction: I, IX, XIV, XVII
It is a guaranteed way of getting shelf space here in Asia, maybe GW will finally take off!

Saying that its going to require a 30 to 40% price drop just to even meet the UK/EU prices (at the moment GW have priced themselves out of Asia spectacularly, and current fans just order from mail forwarders based in the other hemisphere)

Edited by D3L, 11 May 2019 - 03:11 AM.

HandsWithLegs

HandsWithLegs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 289 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

Something I just noticed, the vents/jets on the backpack are facing towards the shoulder pad. hopefully the right and left sides just got switched or they are posable, because if that's how its sculpted it looks really bad

• Interrogator Stobz likes this

gallery_48988_15465_43209.pnggallery_48988_15465_10130.png

N1SB

N1SB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,351 posts

Ok I almost totally stopped caring about Space Marine Heroes 3 (that's a lie, I play Nurgle, I totally care) because of THIS:

Hey, hey hey. Don't forget the chibi figures:

Bandai-May10-SDFigures3bwtdb.jpg

So I'm in China, part of this whole Asian region GW's trying to set deep roots in.  THIS is it, because it "gets it".

+++++

But an informative post 1st.  These are "Gashapon", which are these Japanese toy vending machines.  They're similar to what I've seen in the U.S. outside supermarkets, for like 2 quarters, you roll a thing, out pops a little plastic sphere with a cheap toy inside.  Except in Japan, instead of a slinky or whatever, it's a Gundam.

Here's a pic for you to compare with regular miniatures (actually a Space Marine Heroes 2 Terminator, which will be coming to a store near you soon!):

gallery_57329_13636_144555.jpg

Why is it called "Gashapon"?  Because, like Pokemon, there's an onomatopoetic element...Japanese people like naming stuff based on the sound it makes, in the most elegant Zen-like way you can(not) imagine (because it has to come to you in an epiphany).  The vending machine involves you putting your money into a slot, then turning a dial underneath it that pushes the slot into the payment mechanism, which sounds like:

...gasha...

...gasha...

...gasha...

And when your little toy bubble drops out, it makes this sound like a video game when you get a sweet, sweet loot drop:

...pon!

In the pic above, there's 3 things: a Bandai Gashapon Gundam, the Series 2 Termie, then yes, that IS Kirby in a mech walker thing (but it is from Takara).  Yeah, you can probably put them on a regular base and field it if you wish.  I'm dubbing chibi Inquisitor the "Incutesitor".  The =][=ncutesition - everything you have been told is adorbs!

+++++

Serious talk for a moment, because I think it's a huge deal.  I lived in Japan as a kid, before moving to the UK and discovering Warhammer.  I did my MBA thesis on a subject similar to these, with the topic being: why Western video games tend to sell badly in Japan (but not vice versa, see how much hype is around the Final Fantasy VII remake since just yesterday).  I checked out games sales numbers, units of Xboxes, even the average salaries of game developers in the U.S. vs. Japan, very quant, very disciplined research, but the major takeaway was:

Just as you want Japanese customers to get your products, the Japanese customer wants you to "get them".

It's like "getting a joke".  In fact, often very subtle humour is that bridge.  It is NOT just about representation or relating to the customer or ethnocentrism or what marketing consultants talk about.  It's not like you have to make a Samurai Space Marine (though that'd be totally awesome).  For example, actual Japanese moviegoers did not care the recent live-action Ghost in the Shell starred Scarlet Johannson instead of a Japanese actress, because as one woman on the street said, "Oh, that's just a cyborg body, if I wanted a cyborg body I might choose to look like Scarlet Johannson, she's very beautiful, yes?"

And to their absolute credit, the Japanese customer understands that a mutual understanding is a 2-way street, and they will meet you halfway.  I don't know if you already noticed this, but take a look at the Chibi Space Marine again.  Here is an example of the Japanese designers totally "getting" 40k, just IMHO:

Spoiler

You guys are right, these are toys specifically targeting the Japanese market/demographics/etc.  But it's more than that.  It's a handshake.

• Focslain, Brother_Bethor, Magos Takatus and 10 others like this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,801 posts
I’m very glad I live in Japan.

I’m not going to be buying them for anyone :P
  • N1SB likes this

Felix Antipodes

Felix Antipodes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 781 posts
  • Faction: Fighting Furies
Very nice. Now I want him in marks 1 - 9 as well as a terminator. The chibi's will need a closer look, but I see them in my grandkid's future. Start them young lol

the emperor is scottish

the emperor is scottish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 507 posts
I love this. I truly do. It's everything I ever wanted as a kid lol

I hope you can buy them painted and unpainted. Give the hobbyist a chance to do their thing.

I can see people going to town on these with conversions and I'm already thinking what game system they could be used in.
Inquisitor? Kill team?
Who knows but I see possibility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users