Gearing up for ETL

Glaive? :eek Things are getting serious...

What Legion? Not IFs again I hope or I'll need sunglasses to look at it! :P

Get those sunglasses ready, Cap'n. The Imperial Fists are leading a siege force of Solar Auxilia and Ordo Reductor. There will be tanks, many tanks, and powerful engines of war. Some will be the yellow and black of the Fists, some the green and tan of the Auxilia warriots, and some the blue of the Mechanicum forces, and no fortress shall stand before their might! [/soapbox] :eek:

Did I mention that I'm really psyched for ETL? :lol:

OoOoooh metallic Night Lords, Lord Commander Eidolon?  Colour me interested, that is something I haven't seen before and think I'd rather like too.  You know that you should pledge to the living primarch and the forces of the Warmaster's revolution, and not some debased pretender princelings of the broken legion sworn to the Warmaster's equally broken son. 

:tongue.:

I have had a little bit of a love/hate relationship with the whole metallic schemes, with the exception of my iron Warriors! Now I have found some nice clears to use I am going all out on the metallics! So much so that I shall finish up (or more accurately strip down and re-do) my small Thousand Son force based on the new plastics. Basically I just want to convert up the characters from the novel a Thousand Sons and The Crimson King, so its an excuse to make loads of Sorcerers!

So my vows will be some Night Lords, some Thousand Sons and maybe a cheeky Emperor's Children character......

OK, here's the deal:

The ETL starts on June 1st. On that day, an ETL-specific thread will be posted in every relevant forum, titled [Forum] Outpost. This is where you should post your vows, your WIP pics and your completions. The event lasts until September 1st but you must make your first vow before July 1st. You have five vows in total but each vow can contain any number of units. There is a total limit of 20k points cumulatively for all 5 vows - how you split them between vows is your preference. 

I think, since there are some 10 days to go, it will be useful to go through and familiarise yourself with last year's rules as this year will be very similar. 

Feel free to ask any questions of course. :)

So in preparation of the next ETL I thought it might be wise to start planning my vows and here is the general plan.

Vow one will consist of 30 assault marines, 20 veterans, 10 volkite support marines, 10 seekers and 20 terminators.

Vow 2 will be 2 contemptors, a dreadnought drop pod, 2 dreadclaw, a fire raptor, 6 jetbikes, 3 javelins.

Vow 3 will be an assortment of hq characters, a command squad, 3 apothecaries, another 30 assault marines, 10 plasma marines, 10 lascannon heavy support marines.

Vow 4 is a thunderhawk

Vow 5 is an assortment of knights from armigers to a porphyrion.

While in all honesty I may just only make it to the 3rd vow it's never bad to have lofty ambitions or to plan ahead. With that said what are other people planning on vowing?

@Eternal Despair You should start from the back. A Thunderhawk sounds nice.

I have a bunch of mechanicum units, a few breachers, a contemptor, a consul and some rampagers.

Edited by Dreagher

...While in all honesty I may just only make it to the 3rd vow it's never bad to have lofty ambitions or to plan ahead. With that said what are other people planning on vowing?

Holy Emperor's left elbow!!! THAT is quite the vow plan! And brother, even if you only make it part way through, that's juicy points for AoD. Glad you're aboard again this year. What army(ies) are you painting?

I've got a vow list up the hill in my painting cave. I'll post in here sometime soon.

Wow. Thats a lot.

My tiny vow consists of an armistos consul and 5 lasca legionaries. ^^

Chaoself, it doesn't matter how small the vow is. It only matters that you make that vow and finish by the deadline. Time, money, and real life set limits on what an individual can commit. We all do what we can do. You and your vow are most welcome here.

That's an ambitious and totally rockin' plan, Eternal mate!  

Lets see, I'm still wondering how to work up my Vow plan but so far it's looking like last year: work on a vow pool and wing the rest.  

Vow 1-2:

20 Breachers, 25 Veterans, 30 troopers, 3 scimitars, 5 Seekers, 1 Praetor, 1 Vindicator Destroyer, Horus Lupercal, Magnus, 1 Sicaran, 1 Predator, 1 Rhino, 2 drop pods. 

Deciding if I want to make 5 of those vets into a plasma cannon squad or not. 

@Chaoself it is a lot but like Semper Fortis said it doesn't matter how big or how many vows you do what matters is that you finish it, if everyone did a Hq choice and a unit I believe we could take out first place especially with the odd handful of crazies like myself, Vykes, Dreaghur and the others who I'm sure I am forgetting 

@Dreaghur as much as I would like to do the thunderhawk/knights first the other stuff is not only what I will use more but I also have no idea how I want to paint the thunderhawk or how long it will take to get to a point where I am happy with it. I am certainly looking forward to seeing your mechanicum units all painted up and your further contributions to the AOD forums cause. 

@Semper Fortis someones got to rack up those juicy points. This year I'm going for traitor Emperors Children for all the Astartes, as for the knight house I haven't decided but I have narrowed it to either to malinax, devine, or a more traditional red and something mechanicum bound knight house. Also any teases as to what you're painting?

@Vykes winging it was what I did last year and it worked out well for me if I do say so myself also I would love to see  a Plasma Cannon Heavy Support as I've only ever seen one in the wild before.

@SkimaskMohawk oooh box dreads and seekers are something you don't see every day, looking forward to seeing your progress!

Some rock solid potential vows here peeps. Really good stuff. If we all stick to our guns and can nail some of these big vows, we should do really well.

IFFFFFFF we all stick to our guns.

Seems like a good time for my annual 'Don't bite off more than you can chew at the ETL' chat.

Every ETL, and I do mean EVERY ETL, there are zealous, well-meaning people who make huge big vows. I salute these brave souls, because I'm generally speaking not one of those people who can smash out that many Space Marines all at once. Some of these people will go on to smash their vows and create really amazing contributions to their armies and the board as well.

However. Some of those who vow big will fail. There will be people, as there have been in the past, who make huge promises that can't be delivered, and it's tragic to see those points deducted from the hard work everyone else has done over the three months of the ETL

For those who don't fully grasp the rules, the points total from every completed vow is added up to work out each subforum's total score. If AoD do well, we'll probably have somewhere in the region of 50k-60k completed points. But that's not where it ends. Oh no. Captain Semper is a wily soul. The points total of every vow that is made but not completed is then deducted from the subforum's completed score. If we complete 50k-60k worth of minis, but another 30k have been vowed but not finished, then our true, final score will be somewhere around half of what it should be.

If this year is the same as previous, we've got a month to enter our first vows. That means we can take time to consider what we're reasonably capable of completing. For myself, I'm having to be realistic. I've got a four month old daughter who's just started teething, so my hobby time won't be what it has been in previous years. That said, I've got a tournament on August 31st that I need to finish an army for, so I've figured out my army and know exactly what it is that I need to paint. Moreover, I've come up with a plan to batch paint all my infantry and detail my tanks and so on and so on prior to that. I've booked our nights in the diary to do specific things. Everything I need to build is basically built, and I've made use to the good weather recently, so some's even undercoated ready for an airbrushing once I've made my vow.

Do you know what gets us points in the ETL? Completions. Not partials, not WIPs, just finished vows. If you have even an iota of an inkling that you might not finish your big vow, either because of life circumstances, or hobby fatique, or something more interesting coming along (I plan to put my Xbox in a cupboard for the duration of ETL), then make two smaller vows. Some points on the board are infinitely better than no points on the board. If someone doesn't finish a vow, we get nothing. If someone gets all but one marine painted in a 3,000 point vow, we get nothing.

Remember - A 35 point Rhino that gets finished is worth more to us than a 2,750 point Warlord Titan that doesn't. Vow smart, and make a plan for yourself to complete your big vow before you sign on the dotted line.

Please understand, this is not me telling anyone how to do their hobby, or live their lives, or pointing fingers at any previous year's participants. I honestly don't remember who it was that didn't make it to the finish line last year or in years prior, so I'm not calling anyone out by saying this. I just hate seeing the hard work that people do in the ETL cut down by that horrible reduction at the end of the ETL. Be a team player, and help prove to everyone once and for all that Heresy isn't dead, it's deadly.

What's the etiquette for stuff I've already started? Basically, I have the WS Terminator Praetor and Contemptor I've built and primed, but done absolutely nothing with up till this point. If I leave them unpainted bar their white primer, am I able to pledge these?

What's the etiquette for stuff I've already started? Basically, I have the WS Terminator Praetor and Contemptor I've built and primed, but done absolutely nothing with up till this point. If I leave them unpainted bar their white primer, am I able to pledge these?

Anything up to primed models - as in "primed in one colour, any colour" - is fine.

A note on ETL score:

People are asked to commit to a vow and paint game-legal units, adding up the corresponding in-game points.

Participants must complete ALL the units pledged within a vow for the vow to be considered complete. And only completed vows contribute points to the forum.

Now assume that the first vow is complete and you move to make another one (up to 5 in total are allowed). Once you make the vow, that’s it - you cannot go back. If you manage to complete it, then that’s fine and you may move on to make another, third one etc.

If you fail on your second or any subsequent vow however, then all your previously completed vows are nullified and count for nothing! All you’ve done up to that point is written-off!

That’s the personal impact for those who fail delivering on their vows. However there is a collective impact too - for the entire team.

You see the Forum score is not just the addition of the completed points but rather the completed points adjusted by the completion rate (I.e. points completed over points pledged).

So in case of failing a second or subsequent vow, not only the points of your previously completed vows get subtracted from the numerator but also you have inflated the denominator, I.e. the points pledged! And with no benefit whatsoever. Hence the score of the entire forum might suffer at a higher proportion than just your lost points...

Upping the stakes takes a lot of confidence in the ETL! :)

Also, Warlord Titans? 6,000pts ;)

Will there be a bonus for titans similar to last year?

I don’t see it as a bonus but just fair treatment of all participants. I think it’s unfair to get different points for the same work. Obviously that’s largely unavoidable when you mix two systems but especially for Titans it’s preposterous...

so yes all Titans will be priced according to 40k points...