Gearing up for ETL

To tell ya the truth Chaoself, I've always been one that wanted to toy with Mars pattern predators with schürzen and an HK missile, then use them as cheap cavalry tanks.  And as much as I like the T-55 Deimos, I have a thing for Leopard 2 preds. 

Just the standard pred kit, not the Baal or what not right?

Trying to get a Stormblade and some terminators ready for the event, decided to stick to my (excessively large) guns and I'll be pledging for AoD again this year. @Captain Semper, question for you just to clarify; with regards to Out-Of-Competition vows, do existing vows need to be completed first? Just in case I get tired of doing yellow for a bit and decide to embrace the midnight clad. :biggrin.:

Trying to get a Stormblade and some terminators ready for the event, decided to stick to my (excessively large) guns and I'll be pledging for AoD again this year. @Captain Semper, question for you just to clarify; with regards to Out-Of-Competition vows, do existing vows need to be completed first? Just in case I get tired of doing yellow for a bit and decide to embrace the midnight clad. :D

Hmmmmmm, a Stormblade would be veeeery nice... especially a yellow Stormblade!

I think you might have an alternative to an out of competition vow. I recall Captian Semper mentioning that one could vow for the traitors and paint Imperial Fists (a statement I find most disturbing :lol: ). That makes sense when you remember that all the legions had individuals or groups who supported the opposition. So I imagine there wouldn't be a problem throwing in a few of your midnight clad as a regular vow for the loyalists. Just don't tell Dorn. ;)

Exactly. And from an ETL mechanics point of view, the last thing I want is to limit the options of the AoD crowd based on some artificial dividing line (in that it is a common Forum and share the same books as resources). I know people have preferences but it is not uncommon to collect more than one Legion or other factions.

So all you have to do is to nominally pledge for one of the two sub-groups and then paint whatever you like; provided it's a Heresy-legal unit. The only exception, and this is purely for cosmetic purposes, is that those who pledge for the Loyalists cannot include Traitor-Only branded units and, similarly, those who pledge for Traitors cannot include Loyalist-only branded units. They can do of course as out-of-competition vows. 

Is anyone able, in a sentence or two, what ETL is all about? Did have a look at a few threads but struggling to find what it's actually about!

It's a friendly painting competition for the board. Everyone vs Everyone.

It's basically a genius way to give everyone a collective kick in the pants to paint the mountains of grey plastic by making it a competition :lol:

Is anyone able, in a sentence or two, what ETL is all about? Did have a look at a few threads but struggling to find what it's actually about!

OK, let me help a little:

The ETL is a painting event where participants are invited to commit to paint game-legal units and add their points as per Codex (or latest relevant publication). You have a limit of up to 5 vows and at limit of 15k points (or less obviously) to divide amongst them as you wish. 

Each participant pledges for a particular Forum and that is effectively his/her "team". At the end of the event we add up all the points of each Forum and the forum with the most points wins. The idea is to paint what you want to paint at the best of your ability. Don't try to put in as many points as possible - no one can win this single-handedly. We always encourage quality over quantity.

There are some intricacies involved - it is a fairly complex event as it effectively involves the entirety of the B&C, so the best way is to look at last year's rules to get a more concrete idea. Once you go through it, feel free to ask any questions. :smile.:

Many thanks Gederas & Captain Deeper - looks like a cool idea for an event!

Can I ask, I assume it is just for the 40k/28mm game system only? I only collect 6/8mm scale of Epic - I guess if the comp was based on numbers of marines painted that would place me at an unfair advantage! :)