Trying Magnus (post FAQ)

Prot

So how crazy is it to play Magnus now? 

- No bodyguards

- No access to deep strike

- Imperium Operative Requisition (Assassins)

- Genestealer Cult / relic sniper

- Eliminators / Snipers / (reduced cost) Arquebus / Sniper Drones

Most of the above has come out in the past  few months. What do you guys think?

Depends on your meta? If you're not likely to come across them then they're not a concern! I feel like even then only the more competitive games would be loading up on them? For more normal games are people turning up with lots of snipers and assassins? I suppose that comes back round to how your meta is...

Failing that: Only the insane have strength enough to prosper, only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane :tongue.:

I don't think Sniper units are much of an issue. They are better off shooting at your Sorcerers. 

But generally speaking ... nothing really changed for Magnus. I've recently heard that the top table armies have less anti-tank with them because there are less Knights so once you get past the midfield and can manage to stay at the top his survivability should be better than before, but basically he's still an easy target (due the huge model) that draws all the anti-tank, which is often still enough to deal with him.

It's not as crazy as taking a Greater Daemon though I guess. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Nerf to Castellans means more mech, not less. Volley from a Raven Castellan is natural enemy of "normal tanks". Fewer Castellans would bring more "normal tanks" choices to table, e.g. IG tankco.

And,a player used to field 1 Castellan may want to field 3 Crusaders instead, right?

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed Assassins shouldn't be a concern with magnus. I would be more worried about the anti tank guns. 

in theory all the new missions etc have tried to push armies to more troops which helps magnus survive but personally most competitive armies will have enough fire power to kill or seriously wound a knight which is likely to kill magnus. 

I personally have always had decent luck with Magnus but I get there are some armies that could peg him top of turn 1. 

If you happen to go first then he is fine, easy access to 3++ or -1 to be hit makes him as tough (well...tougher I think) then a Knight. 

I don't personally see an issue with snipers given that things such as Lascannons can already target him which will put out way more punch then some snipers would.