Aeronautica Imperialis Returns!

Definitely holding off on the expansion board, I even heard rumours that GW may do a neoprene one? No idea how likely that is. Has GW always stuck to boards or did they romance mats in the past?

Definitely holding off on the expansion board, I even heard rumours that GW may do a neoprene one? No idea how likely that is. Has GW always stuck to boards or did they romance mats in the past?

They said in the stream they’ll probably stick to card for mats. They’ve looked at neoprene mats and the places they’ve found to do them either do small batches or massive batches, where they’d probably need something in between.

I'm probably going all in on this, but I really want Tau as a faction. Barracudas and tiger sharks and stealth drones! hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

Yeah I’m hoping for Tau sooner rather than later. With a nice plastic Manta.

I’m contemplating strictly adhering to arming planes by their role, so Thunderbolts with Air-to-Air missiles, Marauders with Bombs, Destroyers with Hellstrikes (if they can take them, haven’t gone over their rules yet), and eventually Lightnings with Hellstrikes.

Got two games in yesterday.  First game we played a "cards down" kind of game as we learned, helping each other out and being flexible on moves taken.  We played just the fighters in the starter box. 3 vs 2.  It was a blast.  My ork fighters screamed across the board turn one and blasted an imperial fighter off of the board and wounded the other.  My opponent spent the next four or five turns dodging shots and coming back from the brink to blap all three of my ork fighters off of the board.

Second game I played a different opponent and we played with everything in the starter set.  He added the six up armor save to his imperial fighters and I added the extra guns to the ork fighters.  This opponent played a lot more with the altitude mechanic and forced me to start considering that aspect as we played.  My dice were on fire and I blapped all of his aircraft by turn four and didn't take any losses.  As a former x-wing player I am picking it up kind of fast.

I had a blast with the starter and we a group of us sat around talking about the potentials of long campaigns and maybe an integration with a apoc or 40k game together.  I have the Rynn's world collection on order, it didn't show up due to a mishap on GW's side, but I am really excited about looking at the expanded mission set in the bigger book.

On a side note, one of my altitude dials was blank on one of my flight bases.  I popped it apart and both sides were blank.  I sent an email to GW customer service and I am awaiting a call back.  With that in mind it may not be a bad idea for you all to double check your dials in your kits to make sure you are good to go.

I bought the separate map, I think the neoprene thing is wishlisting at this point.  GW has totally, completely, inexcusably missed the neoprene map market so far.  I was told I can't use 3rd party mats at my GW store, even for Titanicus where GW doesn't even make one.  I had to buy the ugly City Ruin mat from Amazon that's no longer sold by GW to have a Titanicus 4'x4' mat.

If GW had jumped on this trend a few years ago they wouldn't have wasted money tooling for those ugly 2'x2' plastic tiles with no friction to them. I have yet to meet someone who's bought their plastic game tiles for their own house and my four neoprene mats roll up and get stored under the bed really easily.  AI is the perfect place to release a nice 4'x4' mat but I don't know that they're expected sales of AI justify the production of neoprene mats over the cheapness of cardboard mats.  

Got my Imperials primed aluminum, orks are getting delivered this week. 

c364119f278229589c17c91286bd190d 121471

Edited by Fajita Fan

So how are people arming their aircraft? For my Orks I’m thinking rokkits on the DakkaJets and 2x bombs and 1x rokkit on the Fighabombers.

Not sure on the Imperials yet.

Not sure myself yet, mainly going for rule of cool. I've seen some heated debates on Facebook about WYSIWYG but I think on average people will be cool about it. If you want to collect 16 Thunderbolts (2 of every load out not including Furies) or magnetise every tiny missile, then great for you, but I think I will just choose the coolest looking option and make sure each aircraft is clearly numbered and corresponding to the army list.

I thought I would be liberal about giving each aircraft a range of options (air-to-air and and air-to-ground, bombs and missiles) but I'm thinking I will hoard my Helstrikes for when I get some Destroyers, as they really do look good with them. IMO the only weird load out is a Marauder with 8 Skystrike missiles, but even that could be justified if there is no fighter cover available. All the aircraft are 'multi role' to an extent.

The Marauder Bomber kit does not have enough bombs to give both aircraft 8 wing bombs, but my solution is to use some of the Thunderbolt bombs. They are actually too wide to allow you to use all 4 hard points properly, but I like the 'mixed explosive media' approach, and it makes sense to me that you have lighter bombs near the edge of the wings.

med_gallery_92870_11755_659075.jpg

Forge world will probably release a missile booster pack, but I'm not sure I like the idea of tiny fragile resin rockets!

Edited by Beaky Brigade

I was researching B25 paint schemes since that's kinda what the Marauder feels like.  Did you guys know there's a Mitchell variant with a 75mm tank gun in the nose?  How cool would that be to mount on a Marauder?  A Russ battlecannon popping off shots?

mitchell-fire-735x413.jpg

b25gdwg.jpg

https://laststandonzombieisland.com/2014/09/18/the-strange-case-of-the-flying-grizzly-and-its-75mm-gun/

Also this is kinda where I plan to go on my Marauders, I'll probably stick to contrast paints over the aluminum primer to keep this easy and trim the design with a Micron pen.

178121.jpg

I started painting my Ork faction last night, you gotta love those Dakka Jets :wub:

he's WiP but very promising,i intend to paint them all up in badmoons,Goffs, and speedfreaks :cool.:

med_gallery_9146_3140_786768.jpgmed_gallery_9146_3140_473453.jpg

cant wait to paint the rest...

Cheers, Mithril

Edited by mithrilforge

GW did neoprene terrain mats for 40K and AoS one time but they didn’t sell.

If the 40k one I bought is any indication I can tell you that’s because they’re utter crap. The third party ones I have look amazing and are half the price.

Also y’alls models look fantastic.

While i remember, has anyone asked if we're getting a Sub Forum for "Aeronautica Imperialis" 

This is something that we are considering, and will depend in large part upon the need for a forum (based on amount of discussion). As it is, putting everything about Aeronautica Imperialis into a single catch-all topic isn't helping to demonstrate a need for a separate sub-forum. 

Do we need a whole subforum? To be honest I'd be cool with all the 8mm getting a forum since I feel like the same people who like AT also like AI and maybe vice versa.

With the exception of RPGs, different games get different sub-forums. If a game doesn't need its own forum, it stays in the Other Games forum.

I don’t see AI being a deep enough game for multiple threads. Maybe a build ‘n paint thread and a general listbuilding chat thread but this isn’t anywhere near as deep as AT.

Maybe once we get more fleets there would be need for another sub forum. /shrug

Edited by Fajita Fan

Aside from models and boards, does the core box have anything rules wise or mission wise that you won’t have with Rynns?

Nope.

If anything the core box has a cut down set of rules.

The Rynns world book has rules for using and bombing ground assets, additional aircraft and more scenarios than the core book so is much more complete than the core book.

Edit - and ace's and campaign rules as well

Edited by klisof

You guys didn't take the hint.

Catch-all discussions are terrible. They make it difficult to follow discussions (because the subject matter changes and/or multiple subjects are discussed). They make it difficult to gauge the actual number of discussions.

As with any other subject matter, please create separate discussions for discrete issues. Since the game is so limited (for now), it might be fair to have a single discussion for army lists, another for tactics, etc. There might even be a single showcase discussion for finished models. Individuals' blogs, though, should be separate discussions.