From the Eye to the Vortex, we rise anew!

I just finished painting up all the partially painted models from my backlog and now I've just got gray plastic and pewter left in my rapidly shrinking pile of shame.

I've got a built, but unpainted rhino, a mostly assembled (still needs the wings to be pinned on) metal Daemon Prince, and an unbuilt box of Escher gangers I bought to make cultists out of. I'll also be picking up a Shadowspear box in a few days.

I've been taking a lot of time on my last few units, painting them up as Night Lords with all the skull faced helms and lightning that entails, so I don't want to get too ambitious, but I'm really hoping to get the whole CSM half of the Shadowspear box painted this summer as well as the rhino and the DP (cultists can wait.)

I've got most of shadowspear that I could vow, plus a jump lord plus a squad of raptors that I could technically vow (I've nearly finished one model, bit the rest is still a legal unit) and a sorcerer depending on how I get on. I think I'll skip the venomcrawler as at my painting speed it wouldn't get done during an etl.

Not sure what I'll put in my first vow (and it will need to be separate vows) but I have a couple squads of Bezerkers in Rhinos, a few Chaos Lords, a Daemon Prince, a few cultists, a Bloodletter bomb and some Blood Slaughterers.

And my big bug boi, a Brass Scorpion. He might need to be first.

Another word of friendly advice:

Once the event starts, don't be intimidated by what other people are vowing. A lot of us are old hands at this and have been planning for a while. Your single Chaos Lord is just as welcome, and just as vital, as the several thousand points that Iron-Daemon Forge is gonna vow. Also, if you're thinking of going big but don't want to mess up, we'll happily help you plan out your vows.

Dragonlover

Oh cool, a painting competition! I have most of my Dark Vengeance box left to paint (converted the Dark Angels to counts-as renegades), so this would be perfect for knocking that out! That said, I'll have to vow conservatively because I'm a really slow painter. I'm too much of a perfectionist. :biggrin.:

Vow responsibly! :tongue.:

Feel free to ask any questions either publicly or through PMs to familiarise yourself with the ETL if you need to! :smile.:

Definitely vowing responsibly! I'll probably be vowing one unit/hero combo at a time.

As for questions about ETL, minis have to start undercoated only, right?

Yeah, undercoat of any colour is the furthest along a model can be. In the past I've had before pictures of everything from sprayed all the way to still in the shrink wrap.

Dragonlover

I still say Black Legion, Templars and Ravenguard have it easy... :laugh.:

Having painted some Ravenguard, trust me, they don't

@Leonite - I'll second that Black isn't as easy as people think to get it right.

So far I have these things for the ETL:

Completed:

Warpsmith

Exalted Champion

Fabius Bile proxy

5x Termies with twin bolters (volkites, chooom!) and axes

10x CSM with plasma

5x Havocs with lascannons

Planning stages:

Dark apostle

2x Obliterators

2x obliterators more

Lord Discordant

2x Venomcrawlers

10x CSM with 2 chain cannons

Lord in terminator armour

5x Possessed

...and a bunch of other stuff...

Taking everyone's advice, I'll break mine into several several vows.

First Vow:

Obsidius Mallex (after three tries, finally got an ebay vendor with it in stock)

12 Chaos Space Marines (10 from Shadowspear, 2 from Blackstone Fortress)

Second Vow:

2 Obliterators (Shadowspear)

1 Helbrute (fully magnetized)

Third Vow:

1 Master of Possession (Shadowspear)

2 Greater Possessed (Shadowspear)

1 Venomcrawler (Shadowspear)

Fourth Vow (if I get this far):

Daemon Prince

I'll be painting them as Black Legion. According to Battlescribe, it is 1,162 pts in total.

This is happening during the time of year my PTSD gets the worst (June-Sept), so we'll see how well I can do with this challenge.

Maybe it will keep me distracted... Or I'll fail miserably.