Thinking of returning, but have a few questions.

fenhold

Hello all. I'm curious if Templars play anything at all like they did in 4th/5th edition with the current edition? I'd walked away from playing after purchasing and reading the 6th edition rules and not caring for the changes.

A G.W. store just opened near me and I'm considering getting back into the hobby, but I'm not interested in breaking models to re make my force to make it current.

If anyone has a few minutes and would like to share their opinion, I would appreciate hearing some of the veteran players view of old vs. new Templar play.

Thank you.

I never played 5th only 1st and 8th edition, I've had a lot of fun with my chainsword and boltpistol Templars

caveat I haven't won many battles with them, except some squeaker victories against Orks 

most of the time I'm shot off the table, I'm planning to mitigate that with more transports 

Guard is very strong this edition, I have a IG Tank army too, but its very much "that guy" 

never fought against Knights, you mileage may vary. Good luck Zealot! 

Edited by 4ndroid

You will probably find some of your old squad loadouts are less effective than they used to be; others may be more so. If you still have dual missile-launcher termie squads, or lots of landspeeders, you may be a touch disappointed. The usual fluctuations in meta have been cycling around (as you might expect), but nothing is set in stone. While there are many changes, Black Templars are still capable of fielding large, 'black tide' style lists, which see a range of success and failure depending on how competitive you wish to be, and who you play against.

Of course: ZEAL never changes, and we crusade on! :tu:

I'm going to, as always, be the pessimist and say that if you're going to be playing in a context that is primarily focused on competition, don't bother. We're in the lower end power-wise of one of the lower-end books power-wise. Anyone competent with a decently competetive list is likely to demolish you off the table in short order. That is not to say that you cannot win, but you're going to have to work much harder than other armies, and you'll still more likely than not lose.

If your local meta is more relaxed we're perfectly fine though.

You will probably find some of your old squad loadouts are less effective than they used to be; others may be more so. If you still have dual missile-launcher termie squads, or lots of landspeeders, you may be a touch disappointed. The usual fluctuations in meta have been cycling around (as you might expect), but nothing is set in stone. While there are many changes, Black Templars are still capable of fielding large, 'black tide' style lists, which see a range of success and failure depending on how competitive you wish to be, and who you play against.

Of course: ZEAL never changes, and we crusade on! :thumbsup:

I'd added several cyclone equipped terminators and typhoons before stepping away, but I'm not overly fond of either. Black tide is what I played for both Codex Armageddon and Codex Black Templars. I just bought the 8th edition rule book today. WOW, a very different game. Ill pick up the Space Marine codex soon to see what that looks like.

I'm going to, as always, be the pessimist and say that if you're going to be playing in a context that is primarily focused on competition, don't bother. We're in the lower end power-wise of one of the lower-end books power-wise. Anyone competent with a decently competetive list is likely to demolish you off the table in short order. That is not to say that you cannot win, but you're going to have to work much harder than other armies, and you'll still more likely than not lose.

If your local meta is more relaxed we're perfectly fine though.

Thank you for your input. Pessimist is very much my style.:biggrin.: I don't play competitively, so that's not an issue. If rolling 1's and 2's was a path to victory, I would be nigh unstoppable.:teehee: