The Cadian 420th Honor Gaurd WIP/Battlereports

Experience is the best teacher :) Failing that - the B&C ;) Keeping things fresh and experimenting is a great way to learn more and faster, as well as have fun doing so :D

The game will never be fully balanced, it's far too complicated (and GW are involved also...) - there's always going to be the human aspect. Some things are very nasty indeed and everyone usually knows what they are. Don't forget that you are under no obligation at all to play a game. It's perfectly fine to politely decline and explain why.

So i got a pick up game in yesterday. I took your guys advice and played a smaller game (1250) and i played against someone who hasnt played 8th hardly at all. It was table end deployment  and the mission was something like strike in shadows. If anything was further then 18 inches you get -1 to shoot, you could spend 1 cp to have one enemy unit not get this rule for the rest of the turn. Also Tactical Objectives but you dont reveal them to your opponet. Opponet was playing tau and got to add 9 inches to the range of all his guns as his army special rule.

His list from memory was

2 broad sides with all the missles

1 full squad of kroot

2 squads of firewarriors

a crisis battle suit warlord

A gundam with a gatling gun and a fusion blaster

a giant stealth suit with 2 drones making him even harder to hit

and a hammerhead with a pask equivelent 

my list from memory

creed

pask with full plasma load out, las cannon, hunter killer

lord commissar with blade of conquest, plasma pistol

4 infantry squads, flamer, vox

2 infantry squads, sniper, vox 

3 bulgryns, 2 slab, 1 brute, 3 Mauls

nork deddog

astro path

tech priest

3 heavy weapon teams all mortars

3 individual armored sentinels with just las cannons

When i first looked at each others armys and i realized he had tons of anti tank i thought pask was a dead man for sure and he was going up and down his brackets every turn between jury rigging and the tech priest dedicated healer. I played my list extremely aggessively, parking every mortar team on an objective in my deployment and everything else as far up as i could get them and still be in cover. I got to go first, he didnt seize and i start running men up the board. Making sure to only give L.O.S. when i had to. My entier plan was dont let the enemy cross the center line of the map. I rationalized that i was holding three objectives on my side so if i could bring the fight to him and even just contest a objective or two on his side for as long as possible i should get the points advantage. This worked incredibly well and i ended up winning on turn 5 with 7  victory points to 3. It was a super fun game and we both had fun.

Moments of Heroism

-Bullgryns took every gun in the army to the chin for a turn and didnt loose a man, procceded to rip the taus filthy xenos warlord out of his suit for a good stompin

-nork deddog took 80 kroot rounds and lost 3 wounds total

- i was using a flamer squad to screen the bulgryns as they ran up the board. They were also in the combat with the warlord but never got to attack. They did consolidate into a full squad of fire warriors immediatly after and though there was only 1 man left standing after they got to attack, he didnt run and cost them a turn of shooting. He was promoted to platoon commander

-pask cosplayed some eldar cheese, by that i mean -1 to hit because of night fight,-1 to hit from my astro path(went off every turn),-1 to hit from smoke gernades. so he was -3 to hit for my opponets first turn and -2 to hit the rest of the game. This is no doubt the reason he lived through the match.

- i shot everything at his giant gundam and it still had 5 wounds, only thing left to shoot was a single sentinel..... GOT HIM through his 3+ invunerable. Hes now the squadron leader.

Overall it was a super fun match and the exact kind of game i was looking for. We were both in it to win, we both built lists to win, but the fight felt fair and came down to tactical descions and playing the objective. Ill be trying to get more games in with this gentlemen when ever possible.

Edited by Inquisitor Balor

Sounds like you have shaken off some of the early doubts. 40k is a huge hill to climb if competitive play is your goal. Guard is also very unforgiving to new players. You experienced bugs leaping across the board to tie up your tanks. Its a dirty trick to a new player. Its a fact of life to a vet and vets build and deploy to counter it. Gotcha moments will loose you games and in the end your knowledge of the game is what garners a winning record. I would inform your opponents of your newness and ask tonnes of questions. And expect to loose to veterans. Learn from it and you will come out stronger!

Im painting up my bulgryns as we speak when i have some pics to show off ill be posting them :biggrin.:. I love the models and the fact that there so amazing in game means i probably have many more bulgryns to assemble and paint in my future.

At my shop they only really do maelstorm tournaments and my end goal is to start going to the monthly tournament just because im gauranteed 3 games in one day for 20 bucks. Plus after reading through the different scenarios and stuff i feel like the maelstorm missions are more engaging and discourage armies that just shoot/smite you off the board.

Personally I am a fan of maelstrom

It pushed you and your opponent more than you would otherwise

Although I do appreciate the minor tweaks to it like what ETC and CA have implemented

I enjoy both, the latest Chapter Approved missions have turn by turn scoring rather than at the end, which stops the "wipe you out and claim objectives later" also removed the "I table you and I win" rule which was a good change IMO

Today i played a 2k game against ultra marines. Was ludicrously fun i ran a ton more infantry then i normally do and it ended up winning me the game. I had enough board presence to go where i needed and hold what i needed. Im starting to realize the power of a normal infantry squad with take aim and first rank fire second rank fire. At four shots a model your essentially in that circumstances paid 1 point for each str 3 shot. He his me hard turn 1 and kill my fanciest leman russ and got the other two into there lowest bracket on turn one. I responded by removing every vehicle he had on my turn one. I played smart for the most part made a couple mistakes but i did well and we both had a lot of fun.

His List

guliman

2 quad las predators one was special character

2 intercessor squads

2 tac squads

2 hellblaster squads

emperors banner man

2 psykers or something they didnt do much so not sure they just sat on objectives

2 sergents

vindicare assassin

my list

3 tank commanders one punisher heavy flamers, one executioner plasma/plasma cannons/las cannon, one hammer of sunderenace/plasma cannons/heavy bolter

creed

company commander

8 infantry squads all vox 4 gernade 2 flamers 2 snipers

3 sentinels with las 

3 bulgryn mauls 2 slabs and a brute

nork

asto path

tech priest

platoon commander

commissar 

3 heavy weapons teams one 3x las one 3x auto one 3x mortaes

chimera with two heavy flamers

Events of note

His vindicair assassin missed 3 turns in a row and then got charged by what was left of a infantry squad i threw at guiliman to die. He charged into them killed 6 and i paid the cp to keep em around. Ran away towards his table edge with them and the following turn they made a charge into his vindicare.  They were still there when the game ended and we were completly tied up 12 to 12 but i had line breaker and he didnt so i won by a point. Not  a overwhelming victory but fighting his list ill take the one point win all day.

3 bulgryns fed guliman 6 wound on the charge after he descided he wanted to see what was in the chimera. Turns out it was a can of whoop ass who knew.

i sucessfully split my firing in ways that allowed me to pick off targets to allow me to shoot at guliman. I must have rolled 200+ dice against him in just shooting over the course of the game. How ever he fell got back up and fell again. The final wound a combined squads infantry group of 20 men with two gernade launchers with an 8 combined for there shots, squad had take aim, had first rank second rank. Basicly a 74 shot executuon line. Turns out he can have all the saves in a world and be a complete beast in combat but the ultra marines are no match for the emperors finest

Was a super fun match but it was so tight the whole time. I wanna get models painted but ive been playing non stop it feels like.

I find those games are the best, when you have no idea who is going to win. A real meat grinder! Well done for the hard fought win and keep up the good work for the hammer of the emperor

Today i played a 2k game against ultra marines. Was ludicrously fun i ran a ton more infantry then i normally do and it ended up winning me the game. I had enough board presence to go where i needed and hold what i needed. 

Now you are starting to understand the guard:wink: , even a tank based army needs the infantry for board control.

Glad to see that you stuck with it after some tough early experiences and are now finding success AND having fun, Inquisitor Balor.

How useful did you find your vox casters in the last game?

i find vox casters extremely useful i know theres a debate about them being worth the 5 points but it really works with my play style. The way i look at it i have two kinds of match ups.

1) im fighting something thats gonna wanna get in my face. Im gonna deploy everything as far back as i canand spread my commanders evenly out. No matter where the spear tip lands im gonna be able to get orders to every squad surrounding the strike regaurdless of where it is. I think the infantry squad is probably the most bang for your buck thing in the codex. This is the scenario where there less useful but id still rather have them. I also keep my commander with the laurels of command in the center. So i can force double orders on units where ever i think there needed most.

2)im fighting something that wants to play laser tag. In this scenario im gonna play aggressively. No matter what army im fighting for the most part gun for gun man for man my stuffs cheaper and i bring a lot of boots. So i start sending in waves of men 4.5 inches apart. The voxs allow me to get first rank second rank on a squad that moved or i could advance and still shoot or with the laurels i could do both. Moving a squad of guys up to 12 inches then still getting to shoot and getting 37 shots from a 45 point unit seems really good to me. I also love the fire on my position strategem. Ive scored a rediculous amount of free mortal wounds from it and when ever a squad has taken more then say 3-4 casualties they immediatly get stupid aggressive towards the nearest concentraion of enemys. Moving shooting and then assualting hoping to squeeze off as many wounds as i can before dropping a fat artillery shell right on the enemy.

the way i look at vox is its 5 points to make sure that your orders can always go to the squad when they need it the most and therefore that 5 points helps insure the other 40 points in the squad can do what i need, when i need it, and where i need it to happen. Sure sometimes a vox might go all game with out being used and then its a "waste" of 5 points but when im putting 250 point tanks on the field that get shot off before i get a turn im not worried about not getting use out of 1 or 2 5 point upgrades.