Is a Small-ish/Relatively "Cheap" AM Force Possible?

You mean do Castellan Green (what I used on the gaiters and bedroll) fatigues? Yeah, I could try one like that and see how it looks.  I will also try the Caliban Green fatigues with a Castellan Green armour on another vet though and see how it looks. I want to keep the pallet limited so that there's unity so no other shades of green. I'm going to tinker as well with a green/red/bone camouflage (perhaps a few variants), as this is what I'm thinking of giving the Scions. A rag-tag veteran squad that's an amalgamation of troops from several units gives good opportunity to try these things out. :smile.:

My son may also want to reverse the colours for his Dark Swords and give them Caliban green shoulder pads, helmet, and backpack, and black body. I'll put it into the B&C painter and see what he thinks.

Very nice! Paint them dudes! Make em pretty and seal em good. I recomend a light color on your base to contrast fairly dark models. My fave is ash grey with natural dust sand and pebbles. A grass tuft here and there and voila!

Very nice! Paint them dudes! Make em pretty and seal em good. I recomend a light color on your base to contrast fairly dark models. My fave is ash grey with natural dust sand and pebbles. A grass tuft here and there and voila!

Good point about the contrasting base, since aside from Deathwing, the DA models will all be quite dark too.

My son had suggested Steel Legion Drab, with some light grey "rock" and medium brown flock plus a bit of dark green static grass (as I based my Angels Sorrowful, Inquisition, and DKoK armies), whereas I had been advocating Rhinox Hide and Stirland Mud with a Tyrant Skull dry brush because it looked so good on his Star Wars Legion models. But those were stormtroopers painted all white, which was probably why the dark base looked so good. So maybe we'll go with his idea, or maybe we'll try a different citadel texture like Armageddon Dust or Dunes.

Looks good to me. Just a warning with the anvil heads, they look good but require a good amount of work to get then to fit on a cadian torso. They come with large necks. But look good when finished.

Edited by WarriorFish
Double post error fixed

Thanks for the warning, Halfpint, and for the assurance that they can be made to fit nicely.

I'm considering what type of Russ I should look for on eBay. Looking at the "working lists" for both my son's DA and my Guard, I feel that more anti tank assets are needed. Which Russ variant is best these days for anti tank duty with the new "vehicles have wounds" milieu? 

Thanks for the warning, Halfpint, and for the assurance that they can be made to fit nicely.

I'm considering what type of Russ I should look for on eBay. Looking at the "working lists" for both my son's DA and my Guard, I feel that more anti tank assets are needed. Which Russ variant is best these days for anti tank duty with the new "vehicles have wounds" milieu? 

The standard leman russ battletank is my go to for anti-eveything including vehicles (which is also the most common tank on ebay). The vanquisher is technically the "anti-tank" russ, but it sucks with only 1 shot. The battletank outperforms it against all targets. The demolisher is also good, but short ranged. I usually go for 3 heavy bolters if a basic tank, or 2 heavy bolters and a lascannon for a tank commander. Don't forget the storm bolter or stubber upgrade for a mighty 2 points, if that gun kills 1 model it makes its point back instantly. 

Thanks. I have always loved the old standard Russ, so that's good news.

And you are allowed to split fire in 8th edition if I recall? It's been like two years since I played my one and only game of 8th ...

I am pretty sure there is a post somewhere in the barracks which has in depth analysis of each russ vs targets (with graphs) if that takes your fancy as well.

And yup, all the shots from each gun had to go into the same unit, but each gun can target anything it can see now. It does make it more realistic IMO.

I wasn't able to find the post you speak of, Halfpint100, but that's okay ... I'm not looking for that much "optimization", and for a fluffy narrative event (versus a more competitive tournament) I don't think I can go wrong with an old-school Leman Russ MBT with the classic load out for a combo of tabletop effectiveness and fluffiness. No one's going to complain about a standard Russ from a fluff perspective IMO.

I'm really waffling back-and-forth over whether to bother with 3rd party helmets, or just stick with the Cadians. I'm not a huge fan of the Cadian helmets, but on the other hand, I can't settle on an alternative helmet I like enough to really be worth the expense, or for me to be sure will be much of an improvement. Also, try as I might, there was absolutely NO removing of the FW Cadian veteran heads from my veteran squad guys ... so since some vets will have Cadian helmets, I'm thinking maybe I'll just do 3rd party heads for sergeants, officers, and a few guys here-and-there for flavour (giving them field caps or bare/bandaged heads).

I am really chomping at the bit to paint a few more of those veterans to test out alternate colour combos, but just haven't had time this week!

I wasn't able to find the post you speak of, Halfpint100, but that's okay ... I'm not looking for that much "optimization", and for a fluffy narrative event (versus a more competitive tournament) I don't think I can go wrong with an old-school Leman Russ MBT with the classic load out for a combo of tabletop effectiveness and fluffiness. No one's going to complain about a standard Russ from a fluff perspective IMO.

I'm really waffling back-and-forth over whether to bother with 3rd party helmets, or just stick with the Cadians. I'm not a huge fan of the Cadian helmets, but on the other hand, I can't settle on an alternative helmet I like enough to really be worth the expense, or for me to be sure will be much of an improvement. Also, try as I might, there was absolutely NO removing of the FW Cadian veteran heads from my veteran squad guys ... so since some vets will have Cadian helmets, I'm thinking maybe I'll just do 3rd party heads for sergeants, officers, and a few guys here-and-there for flavour (giving them field caps or bare/bandaged heads).

I am really chomping at the bit to paint a few more of those veterans to test out alternate colour combos, but just haven't had time this week!

Have you looked at the old metal cadian instead of the plastics? Lot more expensive since they are OOP, but I prefer the look personally. If not, scout heads fit cadian torsos well, catachan heads on cadian bodies are an option as well.

I don't really know of other 3rd party heads apart from anvil. Anyone else know?

I believe this is the thread HP was referring to

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/334215-improving-the-effectiveness-of-the-leman-russ/

For headswaps theres this list of suppliers

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/264401-astra-militarum-resources/

I forget who, but there is also another thread lying around which lists all the 3rd party manufacturers and what bits they supply... 

Found it :D

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/329815-astra-militarum-third-party-parts-now-with-vehicles/

Have you looked at the old metal cadian instead of the plastics? Lot more expensive since they are OOP, but I prefer the look personally. If not, scout heads fit cadian torsos well, catachan heads on cadian bodies are an option as well.

I don't really know of other 3rd party heads apart from anvil. Anyone else know?

Haven't looked into old Cadian metals, because I've already got all the plastic Cadians I need to build 30 regulars, 10 vets (already built actually), and 10 Scions (with help of leftover Scion bitz from my =][= projects). So it's all Cadian all the time, just trying to settle on what heads to use. I prefer that most of them have helmets, so this would exclude Catachan and Scout heads except for here-and-there for flavour.

I've been looking at Anvil and Mad Robot miniatures mostly for heads. I've looked over the other ones listed at the link duz_ posted, but haven't seen anything that tickles my fancy at all. Anvil has a few possibilities, the Gothic Void helmets are cool, but more fitting Scions (I might use them for my Scions, not sure). I think the medieval helmets, while nifty would not fit. I want more of a 20th century military look and I don't like Adrian helmet or Brody helmets so that basically leaves Stahlhelms or modern swat-team style helmets. So I'm inclined towards stahlhelms IF I go third party but I already have DKoK so I'm a bit meh on that ... so I may end up sticking with Cadian heads :/

Thanks for the link Duz, that was the right one. I just has another thought after looking at the Brilliant Ventrillian nobles WIP by Nicodemus. Have you looked into the free guild range for heads?

P.s. not Nicodemus, Expendable Aquanaughts ventrillian nobles

Edited by Halfpint100

I think you mean Expendable Aquanaught's Ventrillian Nobles, but no I didn't look at free guild heads ... that would be cost-prohibitive, plus I also think the black/Caliban Green combo is more fitting of a more modern less ornate look.

Yes I did, I'm using phone. It is hard to check information and spelling from page to page. I see what you mean by the look being more modern. I'm out of ideas, anyone else got anything?

I think I'm just going to use Cadian heads, but the Forgeworld hazardous environment and veteran heads -- the helmets on those are less bulky and I like the way they look better. I have about 15 of them, plus the ones already on veteran bodies, so I can model about 40% of my troops with those heads. Then the rest can be a mix of Field caps, forage caps (officers and sergeants), and Catachan or other bare heads.

Has anyone used Anvil Industry bases? How do they compare to GW? Would anyone even notice (including me -- I'm kind of OCD when it comes to bases)?

It seems like it would be easier/cheaper for me to buy 60mm bases from Anvil along with my head swaps, rather than doing a separate order from GW for 60s. I need 3 or 4 to build the HWT I want.

EDIT: 10x Anvil 60s cost the same as 3x GW 60s.

Edited by Nicodemus Doloroso