'Eavy Metal Q&A from Warhammerfest

BitsHammer

I almost put this in the painting subsection after finding this on reddit, but it didn't fit the subforum topics, so I'm putting this here:

OUSEMZG.jpg

Speaking to the 'eavy metal painters at Warhammer Fest 2019 I had a few interesting questions answered:

Q: Do you have to use all Citadel/Forgeworld paints/equipment?
A: Generally, yes, although we do use Windsor & Newton Series 7 brushes (although the Citadel Artificer brushes are basically very similar, so some prefer those)

Q: Do you work with the finecast models? How do you find the detail?
A: We use the master version to paint for the box art, so sometimes finecast (because of the process) will lose it's detail, so what the 'eavy metal team paint usually has way more detail.

Q: Do you also have to build & clean the models?
A: It varies. Sometimes. Not always.

Q: Where do you stand on the whole dropper bottles / Citadel tubs issue?
A: Neither here nor there. Generally people use the standard tubs, but it can be personal preference for the painter.

Q: Do you all use a wet palette?
A: Not everyone. Some do, some don't - it's up to the painter.

Q: Do you have magnifying goggles?
A: Nope, but again, this is down to the painter - some might.

Q: Do you still have loads of older paints, or do you have to use the current range?
A: Those who have been painting with GW for a long time tend to have drawers and drawers of older paints, but generally in order to facilitate tutorials and walkthroughs etc (as well as the box-art guides) we have to use the current range (but the woman I spoke with did say she had a green colour in her drawer from a while back that she LOVES)

Q: What do you make of the new Contrast range?
A: The painter I spoke to most hand't used them yet but some of the painters had, and there seemed to be a general consensus that they were great and posed a good opportunity for blending and such. The new Contrast paint doesn't work well with water though so you will have to buy the medium to thin it for glazing and blending. I also asked if it behaved more like an oil wash, filling recesses and most who I asked responded that it did.

So I got some feedback on this on Facebook and it looks like not everything here is 100% correct:

Hey everyone – I don’t really want to stir this conversation up more or anything, but since I like to think I have some insight into this topic, I thought I’d chime in briefly. A lot of the stuff in the Q&A bit above is misinterpreted or just pure wrong – so take it with a grain of salt. The best way to get a clear and 100% accurate answer to any questions you might have is to ask someone on the ‘Eavy Metal team, either in person at an event, at one of our ‘EM Masterclass Weekends or in the chat on Warhammer Live. Second hand information like this always has a way to get misunderstood. I only say this because I find the majority of the information above misleading or untrue and I’m on the ‘EM team myself!!

Man, I wish I could spend 50 hours painting a week. But that's the difference between me and a full time professional, I guess. :)

Thanks for posting the update, Fulkes.

Glad to be of service! Honestly I was just glad to hear more about the studio since what goes on behind those doors has been a source of speculation and conspiracy theory (such as photo manipulation and not using GW brand paints) for yonks.