Intercessor vs. Hellblaster bodies

Hi all-

I'm planning on painting up a new force with some intercessors and hellblasters, but have't purchased them yet. I was pondering swapping some of the bodies around so that I wouldn't get repeated poses in either group (my understanding is that each box contains two sets of identical sprues, so each group of 10 would have two of each body position). Questions are:

1) Looking at the website I can't see any difference in the armor itself between the two, but is there in fact anything different other than position? The extreme would be something like comparing devastator vs. tactical marine legs, but I'm wondering if there's any actual difference other than poses between the two that would identify a body as explicitly being a intercessor or hellblaster.

2) I'm assuming arms + weapons + backpacks would be fully interchangeable between bodies (or with minimal trimming/greenstuff). Has anyone tried this, or run into difficulties doing so?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Galloway

[snip]my understanding is that each box contains two sets of identical sprues, so each group of 10 would have two of each body position). Questions are:

1) Looking at the website I can't see any difference in the armor itself between the two, but is there in fact anything different other than position? The extreme would be something like comparing devastator vs. tactical marine legs, but I'm wondering if there's any actual difference other than poses between the two that would identify a body as explicitly being a intercessor or hellblaster.

2) I'm assuming arms + weapons + backpacks would be fully interchangeable between bodies (or with minimal trimming/greenstuff). Has anyone tried this, or run into difficulties doing so?

You're right – each box contains two identical sprues, so two sets of five identical bodies. While a bit annoying, the nice bit is that you get duplicates of the cool extras, like the sweet forearm computer thingie on the Intercessor sprue, or the bionic arm on the Hellblaster.

1) No, other than position, they're identical. There's nothing that inherently distinguishes Intercessors from Hellblaster bodies. All of the extra kit (plasma flasks etc.) are provided as separate pieces.

2) Yes – at most minor trimming will let you use the different bodies very easily.

Not the best example (as these are converted a bit further than necessary) but here's a combat squad that includes bodies from both multipart kits. Second from left is an Intercessor body; second from right is a Hellblaster body. The squad also includes the easy-builds from Dark Imperium, which are also compatible, but require more conversion work.

c.jpg

Short answer is that all the marine kits interchange nicely; the multipart kits very easily. 

Edited by Apologist

There are some subtle differences between the two - like I think the collars on the hellblaster bodies are very slightly tighter/smaller in diameter than the ones on the intercessors (not that it's immediately visually apparent - although I've found that it can make a difference if you're attempting to use non-Primaris heads/helmets in there); there's also ablative plating around the hips on the hellblasters that is not in evidence on the intercessors; and in addition to that, a range of posing in Dark Imperium (which also makes for different orientations on some components on the plasma-weaponry) that's not found in either of the multipart boxes if you were after further variety. 

In terms of 'accessorizing', the hellblaster kit comes with more in the way of left-side holstered pistols , although of a different mounting as compared to the intercessor holstered pistols coz plasma bitz and reliquaries rather than pouches ; I think from memory there might also be a small difference in helmets. 

But overall, there's not a huge degree of immediately visually obvious difference between hellblaster and intercessor bodies ; and the main visible one, of the hip plating, tends to be less clearly seen because it's located behind/under weapons when viewed from the front. 

Helmets are the same. I didn't notice a difference in collars the way Ryltar did (I might even argue there is no difference in collars, but if it exists, I'd say the difference is so small as to be immaterial).

The extra hip plates are the biggest difference, as well as the pistol holsters being slightly different because of the hip plates.

EDIT: Giant thumb posting.

Edited by Disruptor_fe404