I could use some help..!

JaM_TW

Hi all,

I'll pick up a small necron army this tuesday. I only played 1 game with Necrons in 8th so far, at 500 points.

I DO have a lot of other necrons already, all in metal. but this one will be my first plastic army :)

Since it's only partially painted I might try for something new, bit of a repaint. Hence the ETL header.

I already have a lot of dark metal robots and a bunch that look good in bone. Maybe it's time for something else..?

And I need some composition help.

Here's what I will pick up:

2 overlords (no idea wich ones)

Szeras, albeit converted. A bit.

6 wraiths! Yay! Love those things, will definately be in my armylist.

23 warriors

6 scarab swarms

catacomb barge, magnetized so it can become an anniliation barge as well.  Never used one, guess I want that in the list as well.

I am aiming for a 1250 list, but 750 - 1000 - 1250 would be nice steps for me (and my son) to (re)learn the game. 

I think I have 10-15 metal immortals, I could use them as well. And a lot of destroyers. And of course a boatload of warriors but 23 should be enough.

No ships/transports whatsoever though, nor planning to buy them. Or deathmarks.

So:

Is there an interesting grimdark paintscheme out there? I'd rather not have more metal necrons.

Can this list made be viable for normal, casual gaming? I played with the Nephrekh dynasty, more movement = better!

I do have a deciever NIB, viable addition? Would love to build the model up and actually USE it.

I did read a bunch of tactics/ideas, but I am a bit lost in the woods. Please guide me in how to make a decent list and help me get these necrons back on their red harvest tour... :) That's be awesome.

Cheers all,

Jan

Welcome back to the hobby!

I’ll cover the easy stuff. You’re going to need more troop choices. 2 HQs and 3 troops gives you the starting blocks for a battalion, which is 8th editions version of the FOC. This gives you 8 Command Points(CP), 5 for the battalion and 3 for a battle forged army.( sorry for the oversimplification, your post makes it seem as though you’re newer to 8th, and so I want to cover some basics)

CP is what powers your stratagems, which are a key component in 8th.

So, my recommendation would be another 7 warriors, so you can field 2 blobs of 15 and then get those metal immortals on the table. I’d recommend 10 with Tesla, but whatever you’ve got is good.

I like running a Novokh CCB(catacomb conmand barge) with their relic warscythe for additional attacks and 5-6 wraiths as a distraction/ beat stick team.

You’re going to lack anti vehicle, which is a big Necron weakness. I recommend getting a doomsday arc or some destroyers for that. You can also take a stalker but he’s never been great in that roll for me.

I really like the deceiver. His ability to move units before the first turn allows you to get good pressure early. Also C’tan powers are really Necrons only access to mortal wounds. So feel free to get him on the table.

First off, welcome back to the tombs, weary traveler! I would recommend you strip your old stuff in simple green or similar, as etl requires models to be at most basecoated one color, unless otherwise approved by the good captain, and its easier to repaint something if you've stripped it (speaking from experience).

My 1st tactical recommendation is to get some good anti-tank. This can be from heavy destroyers, regular destroyers, and Doomsday arks, though doom scythes can do the job if they are sautekh.

To get a broad overview of what's good what's not, look at 1d4chan's necrons 8th ed tactics article. It breaks everything down in detail, and I find myself referencing it frequently.

Personally, I would agree with more infantry, even if it is immortals. They aren't quite as tough as they used to be due to AP mods, but they are still quite hardy with a lot of shooting.

Don't want metal robots and you have bone colour, might I ask: is the bone colour a warm tone (ie. brown wash) or a cool tone (ie blue wash)? If you have gone with a warmer colour you could switch to a cooler more ceramic looking theme, or go full Nephrekh and paint your army gold since you like the Code anyway. I know it's still metal but at least a different type of metal? I'm honestly having a hard time not thinking of metallic things for robots. There was a Joker (Batman) inspired theme in a project log in the forum that focused heavily on purple and it looked amazing. Perhaps simply starting with one colour you love could give you the basis for a non-metal focused scheme.

Your list could be viable, but it really depends on what you will be facing. I started out playing 8th without any vehicles or anti-armour and got creamed to hard so frequently I simply had to add stuff in, but in home games with friends using my collections to play with I can balance any unit options for a fun game. Even totally unbalanced games can be fun with the right narrative behind them. I would echo M4M's use of a Battalion since Command Points are a critical aspect of 8th edition, personally I use 3x10 units of Warriors but would use 3x5 units of Immortals with tesla if I had the models. After that just cram in as many Wraiths and Destroyers as you can since you're not into the vehicles.

The Deceiver looks like a great unit, if a bit pricey, and an integral part to T1 first strike shenanigans with Necrons. Outside of that I have not seen it used. Personally I only just got a Nightbringer added a couple games ago but I do also pine for a Deceiver (and eventually a Tesseract Vault of course).

I would look into playing your army mostly as a Nephrekh Battalion Detachment for all your shooty bits, using the Translocation Crypt stratagem to keep a unit of 6 Destroyers in reserve, with a Novokh Auxiliary Detachment for the Wraiths (alternately, a Novokh Outrider Detachment if you want to run a CCB with the Wraiths and include some Scarabs as well which is usually a solid choice).

EDIT: I just put together these three lists, each using elements of the last in escalation from 750 to 1250, based off my suggestions. To start,

Battalion Detachment - Nephrekh Code

2x Overlords

3x 5 Immortals

4x Wraiths

3x Destroyers

To get to 1k add 2x Wraiths and 3x Destroyers (max sized units instead of smaller size ones).

To get to 1250 move the unit of Wraiths to an Outrider Detachment and add a CCB as well as two units of 4x Scarabs each.

Battalion Detachment - Nephrekh Code

2x Overlords

3x 5 Immortals

6x Destroyers

Outrider Detachment - Novokh Code

Catacomb Command Barge w. tesla

2x 4 Scarabs

6x Wraiths

Your Overlords can use My Will Be Done to buff the Immortals, even all three in one turn with the Phaeron's Will stratagem. CCB can use MWBD on itself to make it's own tesla shots trigger on that glorious 5+ (even if it's only 3 shots), Wraiths act as bubble wrap as they move up to wreck stuff in combat.

Edited by NTaW

Thanks! This all helps a lot. Especially the lists, will probably use that to build/form this army. Much appreciated! :)

I've played a few games so far, using space marines  mostly. but I'll return to my toasters, really love to roll a LOAD of dice in the shooting phase.

The minis are probably better painted than I thought, so apart from some scarab swarms, a barge (or something) and the immortals who I might buy, they are good to go.

I have more than enough other projects (paintwise or with the family) to occupy myself with... :)

I might give them a "turquise glaze" however, or something similar. Just to differ them from my rest.

Ceramic colour: they were/are bonecoloured (some of my old necrons). Bleached bone in fact. Nice for a change but didnt do it for me then (or now). Might even dunk them in acetone, perhaps.

Anyway:

Tesla guns or gauss blasters for the immortals? I'd like to go tesla, just for variation.

First thing: pick them up on Sunday and see how they are in the flesh (pun intended), maybe even pick up a box of immortals. Who knows.

Again, thanks! It's nice to have feedback on these kind of things.

Cheers,

Jan

Tesla on the immortals, definitely. They synergize beautifully with overlords and My Will be Done and it’s plus one. (since Tesla is 6+ instead of flat six).

One full squad of Tesla immortals. Minimum.

Ride the lightning.

Glad the lists are of service!

A dunk in acetone would be appropriate if you want a coherent scheme, and if they are metal then it will be that much easier to accomplish. I definitely suggest the Citadel Paint App as a resource for scrolling through colour options and finding combinations you may not have thought of.

Tesla for Immortals, for sure. To the point where I'm looking at my painted gauss Immortals and wondering how hard it would be to snap the gun arm off and replace it. They aren't without use but I have gauss elsewhere in my army.

Edited by NTaW

Allright.

It seems I already have 18 metal, old immortals. They get tesla duty :)  I put a 32 mm base under their current one (25 mm) with some poster buddy. that will do for now :)

The 40+ "metal" warriors will stay painted as they are, 10 others might get an acetone bath and get transferred from bone colour to more, darkish metal or something else. No need to rush that though.

Bought a lot with some stuff, some warriors (23 IIRC) with paint. Might move these to another necron player. I have enough warriors I guess.

The wraiths are nice. Might darken them and see if I can get some toth-like paint on them.

Got 3 lords/overlords as well. Have to think what to replace that orb-hand with. I think 1 is still unpainted, so maybe nice for the ETL.

the CCB is unpainted --> ETL.

Got a NIB Deciever --> ETL.

Have a load of (metal) destroyers, 5 of those are in need of an acetone bath and a repaint. ETL I guess :)

I only have old bases for the flyers, thos transparant plastic things. Prone to breaking.

What is the current base size for destroyers? Might as well give them an overhaul.

My current list is 755 points:

Nephrekh dynasty

overlord, warlord, solar staff,

overlord standard

3 x 5 immortals with tesla

4 wraiths

3 destroyers

Overlord and wraiths are plastic, rest is oldcron.

Will biuld this up to 1000 ans 1250. Maybe take them to a tourney somewhere in the next few months.

What's currently yhe best way to post pics here? Photobucket isnt reliable anymore so,.. any advise?

Cheers,

Jan

The BnC hosts images in its gallery, as you will see here.

It’s relatively simple to operate, though it does have some file size restrictions (2megabytes, IIRC).
I think destroyers are on CCB flying bases these days, but as I only own an old metal heavy destroyer I cannot be sure.
That looks like a solid 750 list, Jan. I look forward to seeing it take shape!

Edited by Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch
Abhor the typo!